First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Starion - modded
Country flag
Any updates if they ever fixed this?
Nope. I took them to task & presented the Service Bulletin at last oil change. Called & emailed a couple times for the result of their apparent request to swap in a new part "that their system wouldn't allow". Was told to wait a few more weeks.

No follow up from them. Shocker. It's on me to keep on them about it though. Now COVID to deal with. Sorry. I'll update if anything happens.

Still seeking 3 independent mechanics to put on record about this and the sticky/crunchy shifter that Honda completely denies. At least I have them on record admitting to AC whine. Shifter is and will be a significant future problem - early trans failure likely.

Last edited:

runintoluck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIvic Sport Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nope. I took them to task & presented the Service Bulletin at last oil change. Called & emailed a couple times for the result of their apparent request to swap in a new part that the system wouldn't allow. Was told to wait a few more weeks. No follow up from them. Shocker. On me to keep on them about it though. Now COVID to deal with. Sorry. I'll update if anything happens.

Still seeking 3 independent mechanics to put on record about the sticky/crunchy shifter that Honda completely denies. At least I have them on record admitting to AC whine. Shifter is and will be a significant future problem - early trans failure likely.
Thanks for following up! Of course it gets fixed anywhere else but the U.S.

stardust

First Name
CM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic FC1
Country flag
Thanks for following up! Of course it gets fixed anywhere else but the U.S.
I am from Singapore , took delivery of my civic 1.5T last month and same issue - aircon whistling sound.
I am surprised, was thinking since this model has been around for few years should have iron out all the teething issues...

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
I am from Singapore , took delivery of my civic 1.5T last month and same issue - aircon whistling sound.
I am surprised, was thinking since this model has been around for few years should have iron out all the teething issues...
I'm surprised too, and disappointed. You're right. After this many years the TSB should have been incorporated into the assembly line.

swipper_74

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
I hope this is the correct thread to post this without starting a whole new thread. My 2018 Civic LX, when the AC is on makes a "whispering" sound, not really a hiss or whistling. It almost sounds like someone is in your ear whispering. It is intermittent, happens for a few seconds then stops for a bit and starts again. This goes on for the time the AC is on. Turn the AC off and it is gone. Can only hear it while on low fan speeds and can't hear it if the radio is on. The condenser has already been replaced under warranty but that didn't fix the problem. As far as I can tell the AC works fine with no issues, it is just the noise is annoying. I read somewhere that it is the refrigerant under high pressure being vaporized and is a normal sound (this per a forum post somewhere). The Service dept claims it is normal sound, although I suspect they haven't heard it even though I've had it to them a couple times over this already. Any insight would be appreciated.

ommegga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX
Country flag
Hey Guys,

I don't own civic but brand new 2020 WRX and I have exact same issue. I've also know another person with 2017 STI with same problem. He was told by dealership that this is normal operating a/c clutch sound.

I have around 2200 miles and I just noticed it but not sure if it has been since new or not. Sound comes on around 1800-2500rpm. I will just live with it I guess, not really bothered as you can barely hear it with door closed and music playing.

Our cars probably share the same compressors:)

Dano63

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport manual
Country flag
FWIW, my 2018 Sport Hatch 6sp manual is getting better (on its own) regarding this noise problem. The RPM range is much less (only in the 2600-2800 RPM range) and not nearly as loud as it was when newer. I've got about 27k miles on it now.
I likely won't be having the dealer look into fixing any thing, as it really is not that noticeable now.

xplizitremix

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R, 07 AP2 S2000
Country flag
saw online, apparently a hard reset to the ECU fixes the problem.
Disconnect positive and negative terminal, have them touching for 10-15 minutes, plug it back in. Should rid of the problem.

Will try and report back later

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
OK, that is just straight up weird. What nonsense is the main computer or other BCM doing to cause a whistle? The siphon hose replacement on my car is still working as a physical solution but the software designer and process analyst in me desperately wants to know WTF.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
OK, that is just straight up weird. What nonsense is the main computer or other BCM doing to cause a whistle? The siphon hose replacement on my car is still working as a physical solution but the software designer and process analyst in me desperately wants to know WTF.
I dont think this is the same issue.

jjayguy23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Ex-T
Country flag
Wooowww, my 2017 Civic Ex-T is making the same nosies. I bought is used, last month, Only when A/C is turned on. Ourisman Honda Dealership has no way to fix it. So, I'm planning on selling the car next year, and moving to a different brand. This is unacceptable. I loved Honda but now I resent them.

I encountered a lot of bad attitudes, and cranky people trying to pressure me into accepting a defective product.
Sponsored