A/C system noise/whistling - lets sum all the information pals

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Would seem that the Honda Dealer Techs up in Canada are even worse than then one down here in the USA -- did not think that was possible.

But reading the above post -- I am actually was not surprised it is still not working correctly.

Your average Dealer Tech "Does not have a clue" about AC !!
Your average local garage Tech often know little more - just enough to get by with the occasion re-charge.

Not to have checked the Pressures at the first sign of an A/C issue, especially one that presents with "Strange noises" is simply inexcusable.

I have to wonder how much DYE they put in the system, and how well they flushed it out.
Anyway, they finally found the leak, replaced the Compressor (and I assume the Dryer and filter), checked for a good vacuum, and then refilled -- to some pressure, which may or may not be correct.

So the question is, why are you still getting that noise ??

Most obvious guess - without being there, or seeing what they did -- they did not add any refrigerant oil, or they added the wrong type.
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Mine does this when I cold start, It'll gurgle for about 4 seconds when the AC is turned on and then it goes away. I also have the whistle with the AC on, mine happens usually when I cruse, and then a hard-ish acceleration makes it go away. But then it comes back.
Sound like the compressor clutch ?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Post-warranty service update with my A/C compressor:

Hey guys, so last Saturday I went into my local dealer to get my A/C compressor replaced. Dropped the car off at 8:30AM and didn't get my car back until 6:30PM cuz the place was packed with cars on arrival. I got worried I'd have to come back another day, but luckily a few employees remembered me from the other day and got me on the service queue.

When I picked up the car, I was able to speak to the master tech that ended up working on my car. He stated that after some digging through their own Honda tech forums he was able to confirm that some of the earlier 10th gen civics had defective compressors.

After driving with the new compressor for a few days I can definitely say that the whine is gone. There is still a very faint "whir" from the compressor at 2500 & 3500 RPM, but nothing close to what it sounded like previously. All in all, I'm happy with the way they handled this compressor replacement. Before I left, I asked the technician how much would it have been if my car was out of warranty...his answer was a hefty $2500, a price that includes 5 hours of labor at $129/hr. Hope all this info helps! Cheers
Labor = (5 * 129) = $645
Parts = $2500 - $645 = $1855 !!!!

Typical Honda Compressor price (oem Honda $350)
Dryer & Filter & Refrigerant - say $150 max
That leaves $1255 for what ???

The average cost for a Honda Civic AC compressor replacement is between $588 and $1057. Labor costs are estimated between $167 and $289 while parts are priced between $421 and $768.

https://repairpal.com/estimator/honda/civic/ac-compressor-replacement-cost

Jules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring (Hatchback/Manual)
Would seem that the Honda Dealer Techs up in Canada are even worse than then one down here in the USA -- did not think that was possible.

But reading the above post -- I am actually was not surprised it is still not working correctly.

Your average Dealer Tech "Does not have a clue" about AC !!
Your average local garage Tech often know little more - just enough to get by with the occasion re-charge.

Not to have checked the Pressures at the first sign of an A/C issue, especially one that presents with "Strange noises" is simply inexcusable.

I have to wonder how much DYE they put in the system, and how well they flushed it out.
Anyway, they finally found the leak, replaced the Compressor (and I assume the Dryer and filter), checked for a good vacuum, and then refilled -- to some pressure, which may or may not be correct.

So the question is, why are you still getting that noise ??

Most obvious guess - without being there, or seeing what they did -- they did not add any refrigerant oil, or they added the wrong type.
Yes, inexcusable. Common sense would dictate the refrigerant levels should have been checked months ago when the ac noise concern was first presented to them but I’m dealing with service staff with bricks for brains. Noise is obvious, it is compressor, it has failed/seized several times this winter iceing/fogging up my windows, that is what prompted a return to the dealer to get this new issue addressed.

Replacing condenser did not make the unpleasant noises disappear. It is obvious the compressor is “one” of the problems, it’s the loudest, but the ac components located behind dashboard are getting louder too.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, inexcusable. Common sense would dictate the refrigerant levels should have been checked months ago when the ac noise concern was first presented to them but I’m dealing with service staff with bricks for brains. Noise is obvious, it is compressor, it has failed/seized several times this winter iceing/fogging up my windows, that is what prompted a return to the dealer to get this new issue addressed.

Replacing condenser did not make the unpleasant noises disappear. It is obvious the compressor is “one” of the problems, it’s the loudest, but the ac components located behind dashboard are getting louder too.
Did the cheapscates also replace the Compressor clutch ??
If the compressor seized, then it might well have worn/damaged the clutch.

I don't know about the new Civics, but most cars have a Low refrigerant switch, and if the refrigerant is low, it stops the compressor from running, and damaging because of low refrigerant.

Personally, I would be very temped to say "Sod the warranty on a POS - that will never be right, because the replacement compressors are also a POS, and will never run reliably", and find a competent A/C man to fit a different, reliable, non Honda Compressor, (and dryer & filter etc), that uses the GOOD OLD Refrigerant (that is still legal), and works so much better.

I realize that some countries have major restrictions on what you can do to modify your car, but here in the USA we are relatively free, and so I believe are the guys up in Canada ... anyway, who is to know, except you and your mechanic :p

Jules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know about the new Civics, but most cars have a Low refrigerant switch, and if the refrigerant is low, it stops the compressor from running, and damaging because of low refrigerant.
Yes I know about this, and I believe this internal fail safe technology is failed or has failed in my car. I am convinced it is failed because they rely on it 100%, that’s why they did not check the levels months ago because the “system” did not tell them too. I’m dealing with brick heads that get their advice from a “honda hotline” and are incapable of thinking on their own.

If the compressor was not defective like I presume, then it was in excellent shape, as was the entire sealed ac system. A leak in the system was just recently discovered, but the unpleasant noises have been ongoing for months, so if levels were checked at beginning then I would have a timeline, but I don’t so I can only assume It has now operated unknowingly on very low refrigerant for 40,000kms with a failed “fail safe”. The entire system has been compromised by this circumstance, and unfortunately they at honda do not recognize this problem because they rely completely on the technology to do all the thinking for them.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes I know about this, and I believe this internal fail safe technology is failed or has failed in my car. I am convinced it is failed because they rely on it 100%, that’s why they did not check the levels months ago because the “system” did not tell them too. I’m dealing with brick heads that get their advice from a “honda hotline” and are incapable of thinking on their own.

If the compressor was not defective like I presume, then it was in excellent shape, as was the entire sealed ac system. A leak in the system was just recently discovered, but the unpleasant noises have been ongoing for months, so if levels were checked at beginning then I would have a timeline, but I don’t so I can only assume It has now operated unknowingly on very low refrigerant for 40,000kms with a failed “fail safe”. The entire system has been compromised by this circumstance, and unfortunately they at honda do not recognize this problem because they rely completely on the technology to do all the thinking for them.
If the compressor seized up, or ran low on Refrigerant, then the refrigerant could have got "Burnt" .. but pumping it out to a good vacuum, should have got rid of it all, and then with new refrigerant & a new compressor, all should be back to almost "as new".

Why not look up the correct Oil/refrigerant recharging procedure, or ask at another dealer, and then go back to the Dealer that did the work, and ask them EXACTLY what they did, and see if they miss out the adding oil procedure.

Make sure they even used the Correct Refrigerant, the new type that the CivicX was designed for, and not the old stuff that they put in Honda vehicles years ago !!! :doh:

Also, find out if they fitted a new Compressor clutch, or just used the old one.

Are you sure the noise you are still hearing inside the car not the A/C - Heater FAN ?
Try turning the heat up, so it kicks into HEAT mode, and then alter the Fan speed, and see if you still hear the noise .

If all else fails, just go to another Dealer. There is nothing that forces you to use the Dealer you purchased the car from (for Standard Warranty work)

Last edited:

Jules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the compressor seized up, or ran low on Refrigerant, then the refrigerant could have got "Burnt" .. but pumping it out to a good vacuum, should have got rid of it all, and then with new refrigerant & a new compressor, all should be back to almost "as new".

Why not look up the correct Oil/refrigerant recharging procedure, or ask at another dealer, and then go back to the Dealer that did the work, and ask them EXACTLY what they did, and see if they miss out the adding oil procedure.

Make sure they even used the Correct Refrigerant, the new type that the CivicX was designed for, and not the old stuff that they put in Honda vehicles years ago !!! :doh:

Also, find out of the fitted a new Compressor clutch, or just used the old one.

Are you sure the noise you are still hearing inside the car not the A/C - Heater FAN ?
Try turning the heat up, so it kicks into HEAT mode, and then alter the Fan speed, and see if you still hear the noise .

If all else fails, just go to another Dealer. There is nothing that forces you to use the Dealer you purchased the car from (for Standard Warranty work)

They only replaced condenser at most recent visit because that’s where they found a leak. They refilled refrigerant to proper levels, did a pressure check and that was it. This fix did not make the ongoing unpleasant erratic abnormal noises disappear. Still suffering

The “fan”noise is moving air, normal sound, I know the difference, on any setting it’s moving air, it’s a consistent noise. Nothing to do with the erratic abnormal noise. Entirely separate from one another.

Most unpleasant loudest noise comes from compressor. Running on low refrigerant for life of the car OR it is defective, either or, the compressor has been and still is the main noise concern, it is in need of replacement, and dealing with the worst service staff I have ever encountered has not made any of this easy.

Great idea to keep this topic alive too :)

Has anyone else with this same/similar AC issues took their car back to dealer where the service staff did not, or felt it was unnecessary to check refrigerant levels upon first encounter?

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
Make them admit in writing to hearing the sound if they tell you verbally!! It's a clearly design default and it seems nobody has received a fix yet.
I did this in the fall gone by and it is on record. The sound is still very much in play in my 2017 EX Sedan CVT. I will be going back in some time soon to speak with service and likely the service manager as I don't plan on making this some insane marathon of going in and out over and over again. I can at the least state that I will not be stopping until I am satisfied as I only have 18 more months till the bumper to bumper warranty is over and I am not going to get stuck with this issue in perpetuity.

And to all the doubters or skeptics or those that can't identify the issue. It is this simple. press the climate button and directly turn the AC on and off from there. You will indeed hear the dramatic difference. I don't care if it is the compressor or some other thing in the AC system. The simple fact is that it is in the AC system.

IaAsk

First Name
Bengt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport plus hb
Country flag
There is a bullitin on this sound. And if you complain you will get a ac line changed with a bigger "muffler" . This is a "sucking" sound from the ac..

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

100% ... I think you need to find someone that actually knows what they are doing, rather than someone that has to rely on a Hotline, to tell them when to blow their nose !!

Maybe, rather waste so much time with the Dealer, at a minimum get the problem analyzed by a competent mechanic, and then pay for a report.
Then take that back to the dealer, and tell them what the problem really is, and how to fix it !!!

You should not VOID you Warranty by having someone apart from the Dealer Diagnose the problem (something your Dealer seems incapable of doing by themselves), but you should not have to pay a 3rd Party to supply and fit, say a new Compressor, if that is the problem, and it should be covered under warranty.

It would seem that Honda Tech Schools does little more than just teaches the techs how to make a phone call !!!:doh:

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There is a bullitin on this sound. And if you complain you will get a ac line changed with a bigger "muffler" . This is a "sucking" sound from the ac..
Interesting -- 1st I've read about a Bulletin for issue.

Do you have any further information. ?.
Bulletin number, the Part number of what was changed (should be on your Invoice/bill)

Maybe if you don't have that information you can get it for this forum. ( Please !!)

I am sure it would be greatly appreciated ... it would seem you have better Auto Techs in Sweden :thumbsup: than we do here in the USA
(or Canada):thumbsdown:

This is the first report I have read, that actually claims that the cause of the Noise has been identified by Honda, and that there is a FIX !!!

Last edited:

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How about someone who has this Noisy A/C problem, posting a decent audio recording of the sound, recorded from where ever the noise is the loudest - in the car or under the hood.

I am assuming this noise does not change if the car is moving or stationary, but may only be affected by the Engine Revs ?? (Or does the car need to be moving to hear this sound ??)

It seems totally ridiculous that so many seem to be experiencing this problem in Honda Civics (for years),, but yet there appear to be no publicly available information on what is actually causing it !!

Luckily, I do not have this problem (yet),, but if/when I do, I want there to be a Known Solution !!!

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I posted my sound up on another thread but here she goes...

I think it's refrigerant based. I can hear the same noise in the engine bay on my lines as they go through the firewall. No so much at the compressor... but it's own rotational noise sort of drowns everything else out. There's a touch of surge when I start which makes me think it's underfilled. It was pretty much silent for it's first year. The local Honda place has had week-plus waits for appointments lately so I haven't found a good time to bring it in.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I posted my sound up on another thread but here she goes...

I think it's refrigerant based. I can hear the same noise in the engine bay on my lines as they go through the firewall. No so much at the compressor... but it's own rotational noise sort of drowns everything else out. There's a touch of surge when I start which makes me think it's underfilled. It was pretty much silent for it's first year. The local Honda place has had week-plus waits for appointments lately so I haven't found a good time to bring it in.
Thanks Charles ... I did hear that recording, but it was far from clear what the noise was that is being referred to... which is why I specifically said a "Decent" Recording :p

If the noise is that annoying, it should be possible to get the microphone of the smartphone a lot closer to the noise source, so that the issue is the primary sound.
To me, all I hear is a quiet running car engine in the background.

There was a post from someone in Sweden recently, who claimed there was a "BULLETIN" out (at least in Sweden) for that noise, and it required a new "Muffler" --- I think the word "Muffler" got mixed up in the translation.
Getting the Bulletin #, or the new or old part number would go a long way for us in the USA to "Educated" our Dealers as to what needs to be corrected ... they do not seem to be able to figure it out for themselves, even with PHONE CALLS to Honda America !!

I really wish the Car Dealers restricted themselves to SELLING cars, and there were Professional AUto Service facilities, independent from Dealers,, who did warranty & non warranty service.

The whole DEALER/SERVICE setup seems such a conflict of interest, as in so many cases, the Dealers seem not to be using "SKILLED mechanics.

If I thought that Dealer Auto Techs were 1/2 as good as this guy, I would have no problem with the Dealer servicing my car ... (This Guy is GOOD .. well worth watching )

Sponsored