CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
I had the usual whistling noise with the A/C on and a nasty rattle in the dashboard. The cooling gas pressure was lower than normal. They have changed the faulty pipe and the A/C compressor on the warranty. No problem since then.
Hi!
That pipe was (as far as we know) actually not faulty, it just does this stupid noise because of some mechanical resonance, but the new version of it is actually quiet. I wanted to show it to my dealer but the morning I wanted to show, the damn thing didnt make any noise. I wasn’t happy.
Sponsored

darrenjuggins

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.6 EX i-Dtec & MR2 Roadster (Mk3)
Country flag
Hi All,

Regarding the A/C Condensers in the UK, i've had a 2019 1.5 Sports Plus & a 1.6 I-DTEC which have had the issue.

As they are UK cars, the passenger side is cool and the drivers side is warm, this seems to be the first sign of issues, both have now had condensers replaced under warranty.

The 1.5 also had the pipe changed which caused the whistling sound, this was not an issue on the 1.6 as different engine design and pipe payout.

Both are now as they should be in terms of operation and temp.

Many people will not have spotted the issue, as it only occurs when you require the Lo setting, when you select a temp, it's easily masked.

It will be obvious when it goes, best way to check is run the HVAC on Lo with the A/C on and see if you get colder or warmer.

Hope this helps.

Kindest Regards
Darren

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
Hey, first post here and I was just having a browse when I saw the topic.

My 2018 S-Design GT has zero effect from the aircon regardless of side other than the whistling noise others have mentioned. The noise does sound like a resonance issue, though a lack of gas in the system also causes a similar noise so I'm not sure yet of the exact cause of my issue. I'll have to give the dealer a call next week and have them look into it.

Has anyone had experience here in the EU of chasing up this issue with Honda? Are they putting up much of a fight or accepting the warranty repair?

Cheers.

OP
OP
CastorX

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hey, first post here and I was just having a browse when I saw the topic.

My 2018 S-Design GT has zero effect from the aircon regardless of side other than the whistling noise others have mentioned. The noise does sound like a resonance issue, though a lack of gas in the system also causes a similar noise so I'm not sure yet of the exact cause of my issue. I'll have to give the dealer a call next week and have them look into it.

Has anyone had experience here in the EU of chasing up this issue with Honda? Are they putting up much of a fight or accepting the warranty repair?

Cheers.
Welcome to CivicX.com!
About the strange whistling noise: it’s caused by a metal tube causing mechanical interference I think (there is a newer version of it). In my case It does it since I bought the car BUT it somehow depends on the external temperature and humidity and so on. Again, that’s just what I noticed. I mentioned it by a dealer near me but when the car was there becase of seat mechanics repair under warranty (yes... it gave up working) They didn’t hear the sound but they told me they actually know what I was talking about but they have to hear it themselfs before issuing a repair. I tried another dealer too a few months back: I called them said that I bring the car in but the day I wanted to show it the damn thing didn’t make a noise! On other days it whitles like crazy, sometimes you can barely hear anything.

OP
OP
CastorX

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hi All,

Regarding the A/C Condensers in the UK, i've had a 2019 1.5 Sports Plus & a 1.6 I-DTEC which have had the issue.

As they are UK cars, the passenger side is cool and the drivers side is warm, this seems to be the first sign of issues, both have now had condensers replaced under warranty.

The 1.5 also had the pipe changed which caused the whistling sound, this was not an issue on the 1.6 as different engine design and pipe payout.

Both are now as they should be in terms of operation and temp.

Many people will not have spotted the issue, as it only occurs when you require the Lo setting, when you select a temp, it's easily masked.

It will be obvious when it goes, best way to check is run the HVAC on Lo with the A/C on and see if you get colder or warmer.

Hope this helps.

Kindest Regards
Darren
I have the whistling but my AC is still working. (2018 hatch sport plus)

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
For the A/C whistle, there is a service bulletin. If you report it to your Honda dealer they should replace a pipe that resonates. I had mine fixed. They did not give me the service bulletin number, I have crossed ST-09-001-01 March 26, 2019 from a Civinfo thread but not sure if this is valid or not.
I reported A/C whistling and that to my knowledge there is a bulletin about it before my service schedule, and I got a call from a dealer that they would fix it during my service appointment.

Hope that helps

OP
OP
CastorX

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For the A/C whistle, there is a service bulletin. If you report it to your Honda dealer they should replace a pipe that resonates. I had mine fixed. They did not give me the service bulletin number, I have crossed ST-09-001-01 March 26, 2019 from a Civinfo thread but not sure if this is valid or not.
I reported A/C whistling and that to my knowledge there is a bulletin about it before my service schedule, and I got a call from a dealer that they would fix it during my service appointment.

Hope that helps
Mine doesn’t always whistle. When the car was at the dealer they didn’t hear it. Or they didn’t want to hear it.
But it happened to me too that I wanted to drive to the dealer to show it and exactly that morning it didn’t make a sound.

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
That is why I included the reference to the service bulletin. If you tell them that you know about it they will search for it and find it regardless of hearing the whistle or not. I had the same issue, arriving at the dealership it was not audible :)

OP
OP
CastorX

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That is why I included the reference to the service bulletin. If you tell them that you know about it they will search for it and find it regardless of hearing the whistle or not. I had the same issue, arriving at the dealership it was not audible :)
I will try. But I’m sure they will just send me on my way.
A few weeks ago by the dealer they actually told me about the problem and said that if the sound can mostly be heared between 2000-3000 rpm then it will be something in the a/c system that must be replaced and they know about the problem, but the mechanic must hear it too before they are allowed to replace anything. The other dealer told the same thing. They wanted me to leave the cara there for a day if it can’t be reproduced while I’m there but I don’t relly want to do that, I need the car.
But I will try.

they just simply replaced in Greece Without checking it?

Last edited:

Ddub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
Any other updates regarding the a/c issues or the oil dilution problems?

Have been looking into buying a 2019 civic 1.5 hatchback prestige (in Switzerland to be exact) and after doing a fair bit of research have been feeling hesitant on going through with the purchase.

The car still has a warranty through to the end of 2022 but would it be worth bringing these issues up before the purchase to be double checked?

OP
OP
CastorX

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Any other updates regarding the a/c issues or the oil dilution problems?

Have been looking into buying a 2019 civic 1.5 hatchback prestige (in Switzerland to be exact) and after doing a fair bit of research have been feeling hesitant on going through with the purchase.

The car still has a warranty through to the end of 2022 but would it be worth bringing these issues up before the purchase to be double checked?
Hello and welcome!

There is not many new information but here are few tips:

== A/C Problems ==
I think the 2019 models are "safer" to buy. Of course you can't be sure. The A/C in my car is still working even if mine is a 2018 model. But I hope the A/C breaks before the end of the extended warranty.

== Oil dilution ==
- I have no idea how could you check it before buying the car. Mine has absolutely no oil dilution problem, but some people reported from Europe too that they have. However if you follow a few simple rules then you won't have too much problem with it (these are just my tips).
- Use 0w30 C2/C3 oil instead of 0w20 if your dealer agrees (my Honda dealer uses 5w30 and I didn't even ask them)
- Change the oil twice a year (or 15.000 km max)
- DO NOT wait long after you start the engine! Start the car, wait 10-40 seconds depending on weather and engine temperature and drive.
- In the winter turn on the seat heating instead of the cabin heating until the engine coolant temperature gauge reaches the "normal" temperature. If you don't do that then the engine will take much-much longer to reach operating temperature and causing oil dilution.

== General ==
- Be gentle with the accelerator until the engine warms up (especially in the winter) and even then wait at least 5-10 minutes until you push it, because otherwise you can kill the turbo since the cold oil's viscosity not in the optimal range.
- If you drive mostly very short distances (<15 minutes) then you better buy a hybrid car instead

Ddub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
Hello and welcome!

There is not many new information but here are few tips:

== A/C Problems ==
I think the 2019 models are "safer" to buy. Of course you can't be sure. The A/C in my car is still working even if mine is a 2018 model. But I hope the A/C breaks before the end of the extended warranty.

== Oil dilution ==
- I have no idea how could you check it before buying the car. Mine has absolutely no oil dilution problem, but some people reported from Europe too that they have. However if you follow a few simple rules then you won't have too much problem with it (these are just my tips).
- Use 0w30 C2/C3 oil instead of 0w20 if your dealer agrees (my Honda dealer uses 5w30 and I didn't even ask them)
- Change the oil twice a year (or 15.000 km max)
- DO NOT wait long after you start the engine! Start the car, wait 10-40 seconds depending on weather and engine temperature and drive.
- In the winter turn on the seat heating instead of the cabin heating until the engine coolant temperature gauge reaches the "normal" temperature. If you don't do that then the engine will take much-much longer to reach operating temperature and causing oil dilution.

== General ==
- Be gentle with the accelerator until the engine warms up (especially in the winter) and even then wait at least 5-10 minutes until you push it, because otherwise you can kill the turbo since the cold oil's viscosity not in the optimal range.
- If you drive mostly very short distances (<15 minutes) then you better buy a hybrid car instead
Appreciate the reply, the car won't be used as a daily driver or for driving long distances for the most part so the decision sort of takes care of itself then, love everything about the car but think I'll hold off for a bit unless a better offer comes along.

OP
OP
CastorX

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
... the car won't be used as a daily driver or for driving long distances for the most part ...
Hmmm. OK, but what do you want to use it for then? Twice a week for short distances?

Note: The stuff written above (except the A/C and oil viscosity part) is valid for ALL direct injection turbocharged vehicles independently of the manufacturer! So whatever you buy at the end try to keep those in mind.

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
I brought my car back to the Honda dealer with the AC issues.
They acknowledged the TSB and told me it'll be covered once they inspect it and eliminate debris damage as a cause. They need to take photos and submit them to Honda for approval beforehand. They had my car a few hours to remove the bumper and do the dye test which showed a leak in the condenser due to a manufacturing defect so the warranty repair was accepted. A week later when parts arrived , they did the work in maybe 3-4 hours and the aircon has been great since.

Overall the process was pretty painless and they even did some other warranty work I wasn't aware of and replaced the batteries in my keys.

OP
OP
CastorX

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I brought my car back to the Honda dealer with the AC issues.
They acknowledged the TSB and told me it'll be covered once they inspect it and eliminate debris damage as a cause. They need to take photos and submit them to Honda for approval beforehand. They had my car a few hours to remove the bumper and do the dye test which showed a leak in the condenser due to a manufacturing defect so the warranty repair was accepted. A week later when parts arrived , they did the work in maybe 3-4 hours and the aircon has been great since.

Overall the process was pretty painless and they even did some other warranty work I wasn't aware of and replaced the batteries in my keys.
So your car was out of warranty?
Sponsored