CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
I just bought my 2018 1.5L Civic Prestige last week, after doing research into honda as a brand. The A/C went just after I completed the sale and after I test drive the car, where no issues came up. I drove straight back to dealership and tehy fixed the problem of the noise by pumping fresh gas in and said tehy will replace the A/C free of charge if any noise or issues still come up. I have a massive problem with a rattling sound on either drive's dash or side speaker. Going back to the dealership next week. Will ask about the oil dilution problem, I thought it only affected US/Canada/China and not Europe.
The rattling sound can have many-many sources: A pillar, B-pillar, inside the dash (possibly the evaporator), seat lumbar support mechanism, central console, glove box in some rare cases I think. But I'm sure there is NO 10th gen civic in exstance without rattles or noises. I'm waiting for a new seat mechanism for mine because it broke and I can't lower the seat position without forcing the lever.
About the oil dilution. We got alost the same enigne as USA and Canada with minor modifications because of the engine Auto Idle Stop/Start and Particle Filter System, and possibly some other minor changes. However it might be that these 1.5 turbo engines have less problems with carbon deposition on intake valves because there is somewhat more gasoline vapor in the crank case ventilation system due to oil dilution... that is just a theory someone came up with.
But drive every day to work this winter and it's just 9 km from home so I had a lot of shorter trips along with some longer ones and I did see some increse in oil level 1mm maybe, but is was not much.
I replaced the Speakers in the doors because I think they were a bad joke. In a car as expensive as this a speaker like this one:
Honda Civic 10th gen A/C System Fail in European Cars Spk

should not be used.
The speaker above comes from a 9th gen civic but it is the same in my SportPlus (came with 11 speakers!) it just has kevlar membrane. I also found some dried out mud around and below the connector. The little "Housetop" shaped plastic you see above the connector should protect the it from water droplets I think... Yeah, it's just. I don't know. Probably every manufacturer does that right. Anyways. If you want to get rid of rattle in the door you probably should replace the speakers too. I also found some places where the "rattle damper" little pads or what were in the wrong position and the door panel plastic could cause some rattle.
Sponsored

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just bought my 2018 1.5L Civic Prestige last week, after doing research into honda as a brand. The A/C went just after I completed the sale and after I test drive the car, where no issues came up. I drove straight back to dealership and tehy fixed the problem of the noise by pumping fresh gas in and said tehy will replace the A/C free of charge if any noise or issues still come up. I have a massive problem with a rattling sound on either drive's dash or side speaker. Going back to the dealership next week. Will ask about the oil dilution problem, I thought it only affected US/Canada/China and not Europe.
I also have the rattling sound and it comes from the Dash near the vents.
I have the oil dilution problem as many others but now its gone.Seems to only happen in the winter time.
My drivers seat also creaks when i move in it.Like it is nearly 50 years old...

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
About the oil dilution. We got alost the same enigne as USA and Canada with minor modifications because of the engine Auto Idle Stop/Start and Particle Filter System, and possibly some other minor changes. However it might be that these 1.5 turbo engines have less problems with carbon deposition on intake valves because there is somewhat more gasoline vapor in the crank case ventilation system due to oil dilution... that is just a theory someone came up with.
But drive every day to work this winter and it's just 9 km from home so I had a lot of shorter trips along with some longer ones and I did see some increse in oil level 1mm maybe, but is was not much.
Where was your engine manufactured/assembled?

OP
OP
CastorX

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Where was your engine manufactured/assembled?
As far as I know the L15BA (for EU hatch) and L15BB (for EU sedan) are manufactured in Swindon.

Hondamanual.org:

Engine Number

Honda Civic 10th gen A/C System Fail in European Cars 10773_3.0_enu_15823169_4.0_dis

Honda Civic 10th gen A/C System Fail in European Cars 10773_3.0_enu_15823169_4.0_dis

a- Engine Type

L15BA: 1.5 L DOHC VTEC Direct Fuel-injected engine with charge air cooler and turbocharger

L15BY: 1.5 L DOHC VTEC Direct Fuel-injected engine with charge air cooler and turbocharger

L15B7: 1.5 L DOHC VTEC Direct Fuel-injected engine with charge air cooler and turbocharger

K20C1: 2.0 L DOHC VTEC Direct Fuel-injected engine with charge air cooler and turbocharger

K20C2: 2.0 L DOHC i-VTEC Sequential Multiport Fuel-injected engine

b- Serial Number

Honda Civic 10th gen A/C System Fail in European Cars gaiji0022
: L15BY

Honda Civic 10th gen A/C System Fail in European Cars gaiji0023
: L15BA

Honda Civic 10th gen A/C System Fail in European Cars gaiji0024
: L15B7, K20C2 (USA engine plant)

Honda Civic 10th gen A/C System Fail in European Cars gaiji0025
: K20C2 (Canada engine plant)

Honda Civic 10th gen A/C System Fail in European Cars gaiji0026
: K20C1

Civic_Andreas

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5 VTEC Turbo Sport Plus -17
Country flag
No AC problems in my 2017 with 60000 Kilometers

Damo11

First Name
Damian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2018 Prestige CVT
Country flag
The rattling sound can have many-many sources: A pillar, B-pillar, inside the dash (possibly the evaporator), seat lumbar support mechanism, central console, glove box in some rare cases I think. But I'm sure there is NO 10th gen civic in exstance without rattles or noises. I'm waiting for a new seat mechanism for mine because it broke and I can't lower the seat position without forcing the lever.
I replaced the Speakers in the doors because I think they were a bad joke. In a car as expensive as this a speaker like this one:
Spk.png

should not be used.
The speaker above comes from a 9th gen civic but it is the same in my SportPlus (came with 11 speakers!) it just has kevlar membrane. I also found some dried out mud around and below the connector. The little "Housetop" shaped plastic you see above the connector should protect the it from water droplets I think... Yeah, it's just. I don't know. Probably every manufacturer does that right. Anyways. If you want to get rid of rattle in the door you probably should replace the speakers too. I also found some places where the "rattle damper" little pads or what were in the wrong position and the door panel plastic could cause some rattle.
Thank you for this, I absolutely love how the car drives and we spent considerable money on this used car. The dealership on Thursday will hopefully try to solve these issues otherwise we will simply just have to return the car and ask fir the money back. The thing that concerns me the most is whether they will be able to notice the rattling sound and fix it. Also I checked my engine oil level and it seems to be way above normal. I will be definitely asking about the oil dilution problem. It could be because someone poured to much oil during servicing or it could be the petrol. I was hoping this car could last me 10 years now I dont think it can. Also have any of you guys noticed louder than normal wind noise from driver's side during highway/motorway driving?

Damo11

First Name
Damian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I also have the rattling sound and it comes from the Dash near the vents.
I have the oil dilution problem as many others but now its gone.Seems to only happen in the winter time.
My drivers seat also creaks when i move in it.Like it is nearly 50 years old...
I checked my engine oil level today seems a lot higher than normal, will be definitely having words with dealership about this. They think I am just too picky and should just accept normal wear and tear on the vehicle. But on a 2 year car I am thinking these are design and quality control issues.

OP
OP
CastorX

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you for this, I absolutely love how the car drives and we spent considerable money on this used car. The dealership on Thursday will hopefully try to solve these issues otherwise we will simply just have to return the car and ask fir the money back. The thing that concerns me the most is whether they will be able to notice the rattling sound and fix it. Also I checked my engine oil level and it seems to be way above normal. I will be definitely asking about the oil dilution problem. It could be because someone poured to much oil during servicing or it could be the petrol. I was hoping this car could last me 10 years now I dont think it can. Also have any of you guys noticed louder than normal wind noise from driver's side during highway/motorway driving?
They always pour too much in it. At least at my dealer. I don't know why. I checked the next day after the oil change in May and the oil level was above max.

Damo11

First Name
Damian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They always pour too much in it. At least at my dealer. I don't know why. I checked after the oil change in may and teh oil level was above max teh next day after oil change.
Yes I think that might be most likely cause. Have you had your oil checked for oil dilution?

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I checked my engine oil level today seems a lot higher than normal, will be definitely having words with dealership about this. They think I am just too picky and should just accept normal wear and tear on the vehicle. But on a 2 year car I am thinking these are design and quality control issues.
I have dealed with the dealership in Belgium about the oil dilution problems before.Long story short honda Europe isn't going to recognise the oil dilution problem.
I even have a print screen from a reply from Honda Europe to my Dealership where they say that.
Got this true a mechanic that i know that works there.
It's all posted in the "oil dilution in europe " topic.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/oil-dilution-fix-in-europe.44291/

OP
OP
CastorX

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes I think that might be most likely cause. Have you had your oil checked for oil dilution?
No, never. And I don't even want to until I don't see extreme increase in oil level, but I check the level every 2 weeks. It smells like gasoline. That's why I made the same "experiment" with my friend's 1.5 Ecoboost Focus and the oil smelled exactly the same after about the same kms after oil change... so, I don't know. I think smelling it just doesn't mean enything. But the oil in my 8th Gen Civic with 1.8 N/A engine smell also like gasoline after 6-7t kms to be honest.

Civic_Andreas

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5 VTEC Turbo Sport Plus -17
Country flag
Have you had any issues with your car since you've had it?
The issues i have is when im refueling gas and go for a full tank it always seems to pour out gasoline from fuelcap like there is pressure in the tank.
The front parking sensors dont like rain (moisture) and beeps constant when its wet outside.
Also have the rattling sound on startup and idle.
Other then that no major issues, always had it serviced at a honda dealership and last service the rear brakepads were swapped out beacuse they were completely worn out.

OP
OP
CastorX

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They always pour too much in it. At least at my dealer. I don't know why. I checked the next day after the oil change in May and the oil level was above max.
There are 2 black plasic pieces at the bottom of the windshield. Check them both sides. They must be in the proper positions. The "Experts" by carglass instelled mine inproperly.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here's the quote:

So Honda Europe Finally answered.I received a message from a mechanic i know at the dealership.I've seen a screenshot of a official message from HME ( Honda Motors Europe) to Honda Belgium and they said this:
"In regards to your question ,the answer is a simple one; No there are No plans to have any software update being developed for the EU market .
In regards to the claimed oil dilution ,so far with the data provided from other claimed cases the oil dilution level was considered within factory normal thresholds since when it is abnormal.
So if in this case ,or any other case you receive report ,there are no other DTC's stored then the found oil dilution is within normal and the vehicle is being able to cope with it."

There was also more talk in dutch where Honda Belgium said this to the dealership:
"When in normal use of the vehicle the engine should use the leaked fuel again true the crankcase ventilation.
There will be no update for the european market for this .This phenomenon only occurs in cold weather and short driving distances.Never long distances."
Sponsored