latole

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would like to know how the honda dealer does to repair a leak in the system and in the same day when a shop specializing in A / C cannot do it? The leak being too small.

1- Either Honda has secrets how to go about it.
2- Either Honda replaces everything (cost for the customer $$$$) and therefore the defective part will be replaced without knowing which one was defective ..... (condenser, compressor, hoses ...)
3- Either my shop specializing in A / C is incompetent? Which I don't believe having done business with him in the past.

Suggestions for answers?
Sponsored

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would like to know how the honda dealer does to repair a leak in the system and in the same day when a shop specializing in A / C cannot do it? The leak being too small.

1- Either Honda has secrets how to go about it.
2- Either Honda replaces everything (cost for the customer $$$$) and therefore the defective part will be replaced without knowing which one was defective ..... (condenser, compressor, hoses ...)
3- Either my shop specializing in A / C is incompetent? Which I don't believe having done business with him in the past.

Suggestions for answers?
Definitely #2. They throw parts at it. Usually the condenser first. If that doesn't work, then the compressor, and if that doesn't work, then the evaporator. That should do it.

My question: Do other newish Hondas have such faulty A/C's or just the poor civics?

OP
OP
latole

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Definitely #2. They throw parts at it. Usually the condenser first. If that doesn't work, then the compressor, and if that doesn't work, then the evaporator. That should do it.

My question: Do other newish Hondas have such faulty A/C's or just the poor civics?
IMO they can't test each part one by one.
Small leak may need day before show a leak .
To test we need to put gas in ($)
if other part have a leak , we loose de gas ($ )

We are always in hypotheses. Does anyone on the forum really know how Honda does it?

OP
OP
latole

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you, I'll read this service bulletin

Shtumpa

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
You aren't the first to report here that leak could not be detected - some have speculated that it only leaks after extended disuse (i.e. dealership, winter if not using defroster) which would make sense.

I refilled mine over two months ago and it's still full (40 psi on low pressure gauge) and working great. Total expenses $45.

OP
OP
latole

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You aren't the first to report here that leak could not be detected - some have speculated that it only leaks after extended disuse (i.e. dealership, winter if not using defroster) which would make sense.

I refilled mine over two months ago and it's still full (40 psi on low pressure gauge) and working great. Total expenses $45.

I did not write that the leak cannot or could not be detected, the mechanic of the A / C shop (the owner) simply said that it could take a while for the leak to occur. manifest and that he can see it thanks to the dye.
I had already had the same experience 15 years ago on another car and the leak appeared a few days (or a week?) Later and had been fixed.

And you're right, you have to run the A / C occasionally and even in winter to avoid leaks

anthonyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
Don't mean to thread hijack.

Could you share a thread or DM me links to what you bought? I'm a month in to waiting for my condenser and am about done.....

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Could you share a thread or DM me links to what you bought? I'm a month in to waiting for my condenser and am about done.....
You simply need a can of Honeywell r1234yf (amazon/ebay/napa) and a r1234yf low pressure hose with gauge (also amazon or ebay).

For example,

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NFRR1234YFCAN

and

https://www.amazon.com/R1234YF-Refrigerant-R-1234YF-refrigerant-Adapter/dp/B07SH5XGT5

Youtube can help too but it's def not hard.

Shtumpa

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
They also get several demerits for their

"5. Replace cap."

Oh really, thanks a lot bud

cause I woulda welded it to my crankshaft

OP
OP
latole

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Be careful If you put only Freon without special oil, compressor will burn !!!!

Shtumpa, did you put oil with your refill ?

OP
OP
latole

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
5 weeks later A / C still working, no leakage.
I believe it was not having used the A / C for more than 6 months that caused the leak by drying up the gaskets / seals and causing the leak.
It is a known and documented fact.

Cost of the recharge ; $ 119 cnd
Sponsored