A/C Noise

grobelnya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Hey everyone, I've seen a lot of other posts about the A/C noise but no one has posted a video of it yet, I don't think. However, I'm also having that problem. It sounds like a whistling/grinding noise when I turn on the A/C and goes away when I turn it off. Hoping with this video, Someone can tell if it's normal or not.

Sponsored

Arashishozen

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic SI sedan (black)
Country flag
That's your expansion valve. Usually makes that noise due to either being low on freon or the valve itself is bad.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Low A/C refrigerant charge. You have a leak somewhere. Welcome to the club.

jjayguy23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Ex-T
Country flag
For those of us not experiencing a leak, please read the following. It seems evacuating all the R1234yf and replacing it with R134a may improve the reliability, and possibly get rid of the noisy hissing sound from the expansion valve! I’ve seen reports that our cars are compatible with R134a. It’s also much cheaper, and cools better than R1234yf. A guy on Reddit put R134a in his 10th gen civic, and it’s been fine for at least 2 years now. I might try it.

The theory is our poorly designed a/c systems can’t handle the corrosiveness, and higher pressure of R1234yf, which is why our a/c systems keeps breaking down. Switching to R134a, which is less corrosive, and runs at lower pressures, may alleviate the problem. You’d have to purchase an adapter, which can be found on Amazon, or eBay, to put R134a in a R1234yf designed a/c system. Beware, it may void your a/c warranty. Don't mix the refrigerants, fully evacuate before switching.

I've put some sources below, including a Purdue research study about R1234yf vs R134a. I hope this helps, it’s all I’ve got at this point.

Source:

https://docs.lib.purdue.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3057&context=iracc

Last edited:

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
For those of us not experiencing a leak, please read the following. It seems evacuating all the R1234yf and replacing it with R134a may improve the reliability, and possibly get rid of the noisy hissing sound from the expansion valve! I’ve seen reports that our cars are compatible with R134a. It’s also much cheaper, and cools better than R1234yf. A guy on Reddit put R134a in his 10th gen civic, and it’s been fine for at least 2 years now. I might try it.

The theory is our poorly designed a/c systems can’t handle the corrosiveness, and higher pressure of R1234yf, which is why our a/c systems keeps breaking down. Switching to R134a, which is less corrosive, and runs at lower pressures, may alleviate the problem. You’d have to purchase an adapter, which can be found on Amazon, or eBay, to put R134a in a R1234yf designed a/c system. Beware, it may void your a/c warranty. Don't mix the refrigerants, fully evacuate before switching.

I've put some sources below, including a Perdue research study about R1234yf vs R134a. I hope this helps, it’s all I’ve got at this point.

Source:

https://docs.lib.purdue.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3057&context=iracc
Yeah, don’t do this.

jjayguy23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Ex-T
Country flag
Yeah, don’t do this.
Why not? It’s not like Honda has left us with many options. What are you going to do when your extended warranty runs out? Keep paying out of pocket to replace expensive a/c parts? R134a works.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Why not? It’s not like Honda has left us with many options. What are you going to do when your extended warranty runs out? Keep paying out of pocket to replace expensive a/c parts? R134a works.
It’s a band-aid fix that is going to end up doing more damage to the a/c components. You’ll end up spending 7,000$ replacing it all or dumping the car and cutting your losses because you’ll be so butt hurt about it. Then swear to all your friends, family, and forums that “ill never buy a Honda again”. See it on every car forum, every brand.
Sponsored