mycivicisalemon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Good afternoon all,

New to the forum here, but I have a quick question for the masses. It seems my Air Conditioning unit is making some weird noises and I want to know if anyone else is experiencing it. The noise kind of sounds like a screeching or metal rubbing but is very subtle but annoying. You can only hear it when the radio is off but it isn't constant.

Maybe I am just crazy but I want to see if anyone else is hearing things!

Thanks!
I am having a major problem with a whistling noise when the selector is to the bottom (feet) and the fan at half speed. It goes away if you select defrost/feet then back to feet only. Man is that really annoying, and to add insult to injury Honda claims that is normal.

MrBudha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Hey nate, Made an account as soon as i saw your post. Im having a similar problem in my '16 EX. I have been describing my problem as more of a fluttering noise. It seems to be primarily coming from my driver-side center vent. It almost sounds like a piece of paper fluttering/rustling in a breeze. It's really subtle, and some people (especially older folks) cant even hear the noise. I am 23 years old and i can hear it loud and clear, and it has been driving me absolutely nuts. My dealership seems to be busy more often than not so i decided to squeeze under the dash and pop out the squirrel cage AC filter in the hopes that there was a leaf or something fluttering in there causing said noise... Unfortunately that wasn't the case so i'm stumped. I ended up taking it to the dealer and leaving it over night for them to diagnose the problem. They called me the next morning to tell me that they wanted me to drive it 1000 more miles to give it a chance to "break in" in the hopes that it would go away on its own. I feel that they're just delaying tearing apart the dash... because i doubt this noise will fix itself. I'll record a video on my phone if anyone is interested; though, as i mentioned earlier it is a very faint noise. Its probably more detectable by human-ear.
I have the exact same "fluttering" noise from my driver side vent on the right. It's more audible when the AC is turned up. Would love to fix it. Did you ever get any feedback from the dealer?

NickfromSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the exact same "fluttering" noise from my driver side vent on the right. It's more audible when the AC is turned up. Would love to fix it. Did you ever get any feedback from the dealer?
I actually took it in and left it overnight for them to take apart the dash and search for the noise culprit. They ended up not being able to find anything wrong with the insides of the vents, so they ordered a new plastic dash bezel in the hope that it would make the noise go away. It didn't. From there they didn't know what else to do so they told me that they reported the problem to Honda. They said that if enough people report this as an issue than Honda will come out with a fix; until then we're shit out of luck. I was actually going to make a post encouraging people to report this to their dealer whom can request that Honda do something about it, but i got sidetracked.

The most annoying part is that some cars do it, and some cars don't. My dealership took me around the lot showing me different '16 Civic's, and only half of them made that noise, go figure i ended up buying one with the problem.

NickfromSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Check out my new post in the warranty/issues section of the forum. Id appreciate your contribution to the post.

kyleekol

First Name
LOU
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda 2015 civic
I am having a major problem with a whistling noise when the selector is to the bottom (feet) and the fan at half speed. It goes away if you select defrost/feet then back to feet only. Man is that really annoying, and to add insult to injury Honda claims that is normal.

Just so Everyone knows, My A/C was making the same noise, it was a piece of paper from the glove box blocking the fan under the glove box, inside the car, don't let dealership rip you off. it was fluttering and working intermittently, just pulled it out, fixed it.

Dallasite1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Just so Everyone knows, My A/C was making the same noise, it was a piece of paper from the glove box blocking the fan under the glove box, inside the car, don't let dealership rip you off. it was fluttering and working intermittently, just pulled it out, fixed it.
My car is currently getting some body work done but I will check out my glove box as soon as I get it back. I just started hearing this fluttering noise in the left center vent and I just replaced the cabin filter and moved stuff around in the glove box last week. Hopefully this is my problem too!

TechnoCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Hello all,
I am also having this problem..Seems isolated to the middle left vent and only happens when the AC is on max fan speed and also in the mode blowing face level.Anyone actually get there dealership to resolve this?? @kyleekol were you able to get the paper out without any tools?
I've only had this car for a few weeks and would love to get rid of this annoying ass sound!Brought it to the dealership but they were not very helpful..Shop foreman pretty much told me there was nothing wrong and "lots of air blows thru the vents" :/
-Chris

NickfromSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello all,
I am also having this problem..Seems isolated to the middle left vent and only happens when the AC is on max fan speed and also in the mode blowing face level.Anyone actually get there dealership to resolve this?? @kyleekol were you able to get the paper out without any tools?
I've only had this car for a few weeks and would love to get rid of this annoying ass sound!Brought it to the dealership but they were not very helpful..Shop foreman pretty much told me there was nothing wrong and "lots of air blows thru the vents" :/
-Chris
My dealership told me the same thing, that nothing could be done and I was basically being crazy. Well one day a year later I asked the head of the service department how many people have had the same problem, and he told me that Honda actually put a service bulletin out for it for the dash bezel to be replaced. I don't know if this is honda country wide, or just my own Honda store, but that's what he told me. They replaced a part once a year ago and it didn't do shit. Now they're replacing another part (today actually), so I'll give you an update later to let you know if it did anything.

silence911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rally Red Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag
My dealership told me the same thing, that nothing could be done and I was basically being crazy. Well one day a year later I asked the head of the service department how many people have had the same problem, and he told me that Honda actually put a service bulletin out for it for the dash bezel to be replaced. I don't know if this is honda country wide, or just my own Honda store, but that's what he told me. They replaced a part once a year ago and it didn't do shit. Now they're replacing another part (today actually), so I'll give you an update later to let you know if it did anything.
So did this help? If it did, can you look into what they replaced for you? I am having the same problem with my car. And the dealership is saying that this is normal.

TechnoCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
So did this help? If it did, can you look into what they replaced for you? I am having the same problem with my car. And the dealership is saying that this is normal.
As far as i know he didn't get a fix either..pretty much just more run around from dealership.

silence911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rally Red Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag
My dealership did a complete evacuation and recharge with a deep vacuum and it appears as though that actually fixed the problem. It only takes a couple of hours to complete. I would have them give that a shot. I'm very impressed with how quick my dealership has been with getting every little issue fixed with my new car.

Did this help at all Nate? My car is driving me crazy and dealerships are stumped/don't want to work on my car anymore. It's so annoying