A/C gurgling?

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
A slight "HISSSSSSS" sound when first starting the A/C system is normal, it should only last about 2 or 3 seconds. This noise is just typical of the 10th gen system, some older Honda systems do it as well. The A/C system works by creating a pressure differential using the expansion valve behind the dash, you are hearing the first actions of the pressure differential, similar to when you open a soda bottle the first time. Totally normal. If it continues to hiss after that initial start, you have a problem. If it hisses several times, hisses every few minutes, or continuously hisses non-stop, these are symptoms of a low refrigerant charge and a leak in the system.

Gurgling sounds are typically water in the evaporator box due to a plugged drainage hose or air in the engine coolant system, translating to bubbles in the heater core behind the dash.
Definitely not a hissing sound. I'd consider it a gurgling sort of sound, but it goes away immediately if I turn off the A/C.
Sponsored

Shane_pcs

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SGP Sport Touring, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
A slight "HISSSSSSS" sound when first starting the A/C system is normal, it should only last about 2 or 3 seconds.

Gurgling sounds are typically water in the evaporator box due to a plugged drainage hose or air in the engine coolant system, translating to bubbles in the heater core behind the dash.

My sounds on both brand new and old are a gurgle. Not a hiss. Sounds like a 20 oz soda bottle being turned upside down for about 2 seconds. I then never hear it again. The engine coolant explanation makes more sense, especially if the heater core is on the left side of the dash.

briq4

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
The ac issue is why I no longer have my civic. 4th repair and it was making the sounds again. Warranty was dwindling down and we buy any car dot com bought my 17 civic touring for 4k less than I bought it for. So I ducked out of the civic to a CR-V sport touring. Hopefully honda has figured out the ac issues. Was super disappointed in the civic. Three condensers and one compressor in 80,000 miles. And like I said was on its way to something leaking again.
Sponsored