A/C gurgling?

sniper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
Anyone else hear gurgling noises when AC is on? I noticed it when I turned off the car yesterday, and figured it was just condensate collecting, but when I was on the phone today, I could hear it again. After the phone call, I turned off the music and turned off the AC - the gurgling stopped. Turned on AC, it came back, turned off AC, stopped.

I haven't spoken to my dealer yet, but will probably do so when I get a chance.
Sponsored

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Same here. First starting the car with the A/C and I hear a faint 'psssssst' sound which I know thats fairly normal. But even after the A/C is turned on for a good minute, I start hearing a faint gurgle as well. 26k~ miles now.

OP
OP
sniper

sniper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
The sound is akin to when you're finishing a drink with a straw... and there's not enough liquid to fill the straw, so there's air/bubbling in the cup.

briq4

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
same issue here, did any of you get it resolved? I don't think my A/C is all that cold, I have a 2010 TSX and it's much colder much quicker and it's got 100,000 more miles on it. Just wondering.

USMarineEJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-L 2016
This just started happening to me as well. At 1st I thought it was the belt, but then I noticed it did not change with RPM. It’s really annoying. I’m at 23,000 miles. AC definitely took longer to get cold, and not as cold.

nicohockey9

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sedan LX
Country flag
Having the same issue.... Anyone figure out if this was normal or not?

shihkster1015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I brought my car in for the gurgling noise. The dealer found a leak in my A/C system and had the condenser and low pressure line replaced.

nicohockey9

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sedan LX
Country flag
Went to the dealer, they said the sound was normal and they compared it to another civic which they said made the same sound. Also aperently checked the gas and drainage tube to make sure nothing was wrong; they said gas was full and no blocks for drainage.

My AC is working but this sound is fairly annoying. The car definitely was not doing this when I first got it. Wonder if my AC will begin having issues eventually.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Went to the dealer, they said the sound was normal and they compared it to another civic which they said made the same sound. Also apparently checked the gas and drainage tube to make sure nothing was wrong; they said gas was full and no blocks for drainage.

My AC is working but this sound is fairly annoying. The car definitely was not doing this when I first got it. Wonder if my AC will begin having issues eventually.
My experience with Dealer's Techs and most independent garages, is that the mechanics really do not have a clue about correctly diagnosing, maintaining, or charging AC systems. They just know enough to be dangerous !! Sure, they can throw some more refrigerate into the unit (and are really good at throwing DYE in - to clog it up), but when it comes to fixing more complex problem, or optimizing the cooling process, they either don't know how, or their hourly rate is so high that they cannot do the work correctly, because the time/cost would be unacceptable to the customer.

My older car had had AC issues for year, It never blew really cold, like it did when new.
Had a number of "CAR" places look at it, and they all either did not make it better, and some even made it worse.

Finally, I got an Commercial A/C Tech (Friend ) to look at it. He removed (reclaimed) the refrigerant, flushed out all the old gumming up dye etc, replaced a few inexpensive parts, tested for Vacuum (overnight), and then recharged it with new refrigerant and oil.
Then he went on to optimize it's cooling, by adjusting the refrigerant level to that which produced the coldest air output from the vents, gaining about an extra 10-15 deg F drop over what the the manufacture's labeled recharge amount gave.

Now it almost blows TOO Cold !! If the sun is not beating down on the car in the summer, the cold air can get so cold it is almost PAINFUL if the fan is at full speed...
a nice state to be in-- More than sufficient cooling , rather than not enough.

shihkster1015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
UPDATE from the dealer replacing the condenser and low pressure line
the sound is back. trip back to the dealer again

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Curious if anyone who had this issue ever found a resolution?

Shane_pcs

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SGP Sport Touring, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
my 2016 touring sedan has always done this. Never had any issues with cold A/C or any freon leak. I suspect it's normal. My new 2021 sport touring also does it occassionally.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
my 2016 touring sedan has always done this. Never had any issues with cold A/C or any freon leak. I suspect it's normal. My new 2021 sport touring also does it occassionally.
I did some additional searching, not necessarily related to the 10th gen, and I've come to this conclusion as well. Just sounds like it's a normal A/C noise in some vehicles.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
I did some additional searching, not necessarily related to the 10th gen, and I've come to this conclusion as well. Just sounds like it's a normal A/C noise in some vehicles.
A slight "HISSSSSSS" sound when first starting the A/C system is normal, it should only last about 2 or 3 seconds. This noise is just typical of the 10th gen system, some older Honda systems do it as well. The A/C system works by creating a pressure differential using the expansion valve behind the dash, you are hearing the first actions of the pressure differential, similar to when you open a soda bottle the first time. Totally normal. If it continues to hiss after that initial start, you have a problem. If it hisses several times, hisses every few minutes, or continuously hisses non-stop, these are symptoms of a low refrigerant charge and a leak in the system.

Gurgling sounds are typically water in the evaporator box due to a plugged drainage hose or air in the engine coolant system, translating to bubbles in the heater core behind the dash.
Sponsored