A/C Condensor Damage (True or not)

Kbf446

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
My A/C stopped working and I went to my local dealership, Community Honda, to get it checked out. My A/C had been slowing going out for a while and I thought that it could have been something with the condensor since I had received a letter in the mail about it. When I took it in to get the diagnostic check, they said that I couldn’t claim the warranty because of road damage. Would these images normally be considered road damage?

Honda Civic 10th gen A/C Condensor Damage (True or not) 469A0587-FFBD-4138-A5A4-0EC2B0E73BE5

Honda Civic 10th gen A/C Condensor Damage (True or not) FBA4B7A9-4EC6-4291-AF58-74D9EF6E42FF

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
What you circled in the picture is not road damage. The TSB for this problem literally has photos and shows what is disqualifying damage and what is not.

What you've circled is not disqualifying damage.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
If your A/C failed it wasn't due to the condensor. The damage you have depicted is only affecting a very very small portion of the fins on that condensor and would not hinder flowing fresh air into the A/C.
Ensure that you present that point.
In the economic position everyone is in (at the present), this kind of practice will be the NEW Standard. But, do your best to press the issue.
The whole warranty process becomes quite the process when it is initially declined.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
If your A/C failed it wasn't due to the condensor. The damage you have depicted is only affecting a very very small portion of the fins on that condensor and would not hinder flowing fresh air into the A/C.
Ensure that you present that point.
In the economic position everyone is in (at the present), this kind of practice will be the NEW Standard. But, do your best to press the issue.
The whole warranty process becomes quite the process when it is initially declined.
Actually if his AC failed, there's a high probability is is due to the condenser. There's a known issue with a warranty extension and TSB for improperly manufactured condensers for MY 2016-2018 that leak causing failure of the AC system eventually.

This TSB is what I mentioned where they show photographs for the technicians to be able to differentiate damage that may have caused the failure from bent fins that have no effect on the system.

Hollywoo0220

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Actually if his AC failed, there's a high probability is is due to the condenser. There's a known issue with a warranty extension and TSB for improperly manufactured condensers for MY 2016-2018 that leak causing failure of the AC system eventually.

This TSB is what I mentioned where they show photographs for the technicians to be able to differentiate damage that may have caused the failure from bent fins that have no effect on the system.
However, I did inlcude the "fins" as a non-factor.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
All the road debris damage to the condenser claimed by Honda dealer service and Honda and other manufacturers is 99 % bullshit. This can happen very rarely, but almost always it's manufacturing defects. It would be the best to inspect the condenser for damage before visiting the dealer, but it's not easy to access. All cooling fin damage is irrelevant. It's very unlikely road damage would cause a very slow leak. All these small leaks are caused by defective condensers.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
My A/C stopped working and I went to my local dealership, Community Honda, to get it checked out. My A/C had been slowing going out for a while and I thought that it could have been something with the condensor since I had received a letter in the mail about it. When I took it in to get the diagnostic check, they said that I couldn’t claim the warranty because of road damage. Would these images normally be considered road damage?
That's normal. The damage is to just the cooling fins that are bent and that happens to all condensers/radiators/intercoolers exposed to road debris.

They should change their name to Screwing Honda Community.

OP
OP

Kbf446

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Update: I actually downloaded the service bulletin and found what the actual images were that Honda supplies to the mechanics. Come to find out, when I compared images with the service manager, I did in fact qualify for the warranty. Got a full refund on diagnostic and they replaced the broken part. The service bulletin was 19-091 if any of you are curious.

Hollywoo0220

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
What you’ve circled typically happens because of road damage. That said, it doesn’t seem to have cracked the core and fins get mushed all the time. There are tools like sharp combs that you can use to straighten flattened fins. You dealer hasn’t even leak tested the condenser coil to confirm if the leaks are coming from there. Many dealerships will be shady like this when they know you can’t articulate what the problem actually is. If I were you, I’d test the system with dye. You’re losing refrigerant from somewhere. If it is the condenser I would check for leaks at welds and fittings first.
Sponsored