A/C Compressor Replacement and Honda Care extended warranty

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring, silver.
Country flag
When I bought my 2016 Touring, I priced and bought the Honda Care extended warranty for about $1100 from another dealer -- my dealer wanted to sell me another policy and wanted about $2700 for the Honda Care, which they usually don't sell.

My A/C wasn't putting out cold air the other day, and I took it in to my Honda dealer. It needed a new compressor. It would have been $1800. The policy covered it, so no charge. They said that Honda was extending the warranty on the faulty condenser, but (as of yet) not the compressor. So I figure I'm "up" $700.

Djin
Sponsored

Last edited:

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
When I bought my 2016 Touring, I priced and bought the Honda Care extended warranty for about $1100 from another dealer -- my dealer wanted to sell me another policy and wanted about $2700 for the Honda Care, which they usually don't sell.

My A/C wasn't putting out cold air the other day, and I took it in to my Honda dealer. It needed a new compressor. It would have been $1800. The policy covered it, so no charge. They said that Honda was extending the warranty on the faulty condenser, but (as of yet) not the compressor. So I figure I'm "up" $700.

Djin
This whole AC issue is out of control! EVERY car from 2016 should be covered up to 100K! Every single part of the AC! I had a 2016 that didn't make it to 10k. Now my 2019 also didn't even make it to 10K. To use the same parts 4 years later with thousands of failed AC units later is insane! You would think after about 18 months they would have scraped all the old units.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
This whole AC issue is out of control! EVERY car from 2016 should be covered up to 100K! Every single part of the AC! I had a 2016 that didn't make it to 10k. Now my 2019 also didn't even make it to 10K. To use the same parts 4 years later with thousands of failed AC units later is insane! You would think after about 18 months they would have scraped all the old units.
Yep, it seems like most of the Honda factory refrigerant charge ends up in the environment after just a couple of years. And then more as they leak again. Over one million civicx's sold just in the USA. My 2018 didn't make it to 14k. The condenser looks pristine, not even one single fin dent, just some small bugs. So no "road projectile" exploit will work on me. I suspect it's the compressor leak case, and although I fully expect they will fix it under warranty, I have no confidence it won't happen again later. Even though the condenser may be now under the extended warranty, it would still suck to go back to the dealer service in the near future to fix that too.

https://hondainamerica.com/environment/

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
Yep, it seems like most of the Honda factory refrigerant charge ends up in the environment after just a couple of years. And then more as they leak again. Over one million civicx's sold just in the USA. My 2018 didn't make it to 14k. The condenser looks pristine, not even one single fin dent, just some small bugs. So no "road projectile" exploit will work on me. I suspect it's the compressor leak case, and although I fully expect they will fix it under warranty, I have no confidence it won't happen again later. Even though the condenser may be now under the extended warranty, it would still suck to go back to the dealer service in the near future to fix that too.

https://hondainamerica.com/environment/
That's the big rub with me. They knew that there was a good chance they were replacing parts and building new cars with faulty parts and kept doing it for years.

Deleted member 40377

Well, I just took my '19 Sport Hatch out tonight and it started raining. Put the windows up and turned on AC, blowing warm air. I have an appt this saturday to have them check it. Very disturbing to get this, car is 8 months old and have only 6300 miles on it. I would not expect this of Honda...

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine is blowing hot air. 2018 EXT coupe with 27k miles. Appointment tomorrow. Hope it goes well.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
You'll be fine, they'll take care of you.
They might, but even in the best case, it's still a nuisance that I wouldn't expect to suffer so soon after buying a new car.
Now it all worked for me so that I have to drive without AC despite my best efforts to avoid it. I actually went to the dealer just to make sure they have the main two parts that I know are lemons: condensers and compressors. They were not willing or able to tell me that, just "bring it in." Then after leak checking they ordered a compressor, which actually came very quickly, but still it worked out so that I will be driving without AC for about two weeks. After the leak checking, the system, which was still quite cold on the passenger side and usable before, is now not generating practically any cooling to speak of. And a couple of the grille hooks are not engaged properly. (Hope they fix it when I bring it back for the fix). Still, so far so good, :cool: :thumbsup: and I only blame Honda for my troubles, not the dealer service. Reattaching that bumper cover seems to be a pita job.

Until now, I never had AC problems in my life, in any car I ever owned or rented.

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
Well, I just took my '19 Sport Hatch out tonight and it started raining. Put the windows up and turned on AC, blowing warm air. I have an appt this saturday to have them check it. Very disturbing to get this, car is 8 months old and have only 6300 miles on it. I would not expect this of Honda...
I was actually expecting the problem when I got the car a year and a half ago it's so widespread.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
So I called the dealership that I usually go to and who quoted me for the parts. They told me that they’re still waiting for the parts to arrive since it’s back ordered and will give me a call as soon as everything comes in. I asked them if they (dealer) together with the American Honda Corp will be able to give me at least a partial compensation for the big expense and they told me that they’ll talk to my service rep to discuss about it.

I explained to them that I have been doing my due diligence by researching regarding the airconditioning system failure in the 10th gen Civics that is really not acceptable at all. I hope that they can still slash the initial amount that they quoted me last month.

dylac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 2.0L
Country flag
Just want to chime in, also bought a 2016 Civic LX used, just outside the 3 years std warranty. Sure enough a month after I buy it AC stops blowing cold air, just warm. Got piece of mail from Honda about the condenser extension. First Honda dealer I called (the ones who sold it to me) says "yeah we see other stuff like rats chewing holes" (???) so I ignore that trash because they clearly didn't intend to honor the work and didn't deal with it til now. Second dealer says the compressor is leaking too, wants ~$1400. Advises me to call Honda, I bitch and moan and eventually get a manager and they agree to cover most of it, so I'm out of pocket $325. That's better than $1400, but I still feel like I'm being taken for a ride for something directly related to the condenser failure. Really sucks. Why couldn't they just use normal freon? Sounds like the problem might be related to this new 1234567 freon.

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
They might, but even in the best case, it's still a nuisance that I wouldn't expect to suffer so soon after buying a new car.
Now it all worked for me so that I have to drive without AC despite my best efforts to avoid it. I actually went to the dealer just to make sure they have the main two parts that I know are lemons: condensers and compressors. They were not willing or able to tell me that, just "bring it in." Then after leak checking they ordered a compressor, which actually came very quickly, but still it worked out so that I will be driving without AC for about two weeks. After the leak checking, the system, which was still quite cold on the passenger side and usable before, is now not generating practically any cooling to speak of. And a couple of the grille hooks are not engaged properly. (Hope they fix it when I bring it back for the fix). Still, so far so good, :cool: :thumbsup: and I only blame Honda for my troubles, not the dealer service. Reattaching that bumper cover seems to be a pita job.

Until now, I never had AC problems in my life, in any car I ever owned or rented.
Definitely not what I expected from Honda when I bought my car. Their extended warranty on the AC should cover more than the condenser IMO, fortunately I bought the extended warranty for cheap and I feel like it'll pay for itself. If I didn't love my car I would be more than annoyed.

I also called my local dealer about inventory of the condenser/compressor last month and was told the same thing. Fortunately they got the condenser I needed the next day.

I had a compressor failure with my last Honda, but the car was 25 years old. I hope the new compressor/condenser I have lasts 15...

I was actually expecting the problem when I got the car a year and a half ago it's so widespread.
I know right, I signed up for an account here after buying my car and saw a long thread about AC whistling. My AC was cold but I knew it was only a matter of time.

So I called the dealership that I usually go to and who quoted me for the parts. They told me that they’re still waiting for the parts to arrive since it’s back ordered and will give me a call as soon as everything comes in. I asked them if they (dealer) together with the American Honda Corp will be able to give me at least a partial compensation for the big expense and they told me that they’ll talk to my service rep to discuss about it.

I explained to them that I have been doing my due diligence by researching regarding the airconditioning system failure in the 10th gen Civics that is really not acceptable at all. I hope that they can still slash the initial amount that they quoted me last month.
Fingers crossed for you.

Just want to chime in, also bought a 2016 Civic LX used, just outside the 3 years std warranty. Sure enough a month after I buy it AC stops blowing cold air, just warm. Got piece of mail from Honda about the condenser extension. First Honda dealer I called (the ones who sold it to me) says "yeah we see other stuff like rats chewing holes" (???) so I ignore that trash because they clearly didn't intend to honor the work and didn't deal with it til now. Second dealer says the compressor is leaking too, wants ~$1400. Advises me to call Honda, I bitch and moan and eventually get a manager and they agree to cover most of it, so I'm out of pocket $325. That's better than $1400, but I still feel like I'm being taken for a ride for something directly related to the condenser failure. Really sucks. Why couldn't they just use normal freon? Sounds like the problem might be related to this new 1234567 freon.
I wish it was the old freon, it's an EPA mandate for auto makers to switch. No excuse for the poor quality compressor/condenser still.

Deleted member 40377

I just got a call from the dealer. Said the Condenser failed and some connection lines to it. Major leak. Attributed it to the older freon, said it was too corrosive and it damaged the system. Said they are putting a new condenser and lines with a newer coolant for it. Said I shouldn't see any further issues. Mine was blowing hot everywhere, not cool at all. I have the extended warranty so it should be covered but at 5,810 miles, this seems absurd. The tech said that as of 2019, all the civics should have these 'better parts and coolant.' Not sure why mine died. Makes me believe that nothing was done in all cars. I'd be suspect of every year. While the warranty is good, I will make sure they look at the system with every visit and document it, that way when it fails again, I may have something to fall back on. Maybe I'll get rid of it once the loan is up. Like someone else said, I have never ownded a car that had the AC fail, especially this early. Really disappointed as I love this car.

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
I just got a call from the dealer. Said the Condenser failed and some connection lines to it. Major leak. Attributed it to the older freon, said it was too corrosive and it damaged the system. Said they are putting a new condenser and lines with a newer coolant for it. Said I shouldn't see any further issues. Mine was blowing hot everywhere, not cool at all. I have the extended warranty so it should be covered but at 5,810 miles, this seems absurd. The tech said that as of 2019, all the civics should have these 'better parts and coolant.' Not sure why mine died. Makes me believe that nothing was done in all cars. I'd be suspect of every year. While the warranty is good, I will make sure they look at the system with every visit and document it, that way when it fails again, I may have something to fall back on. Maybe I'll get rid of it once the loan is up. Like someone else said, I have never ownded a car that had the AC fail, especially this early. Really disappointed as I love this car.
I have a 2019 and I think it's the same old parts as mine has under 15k miles and also failed.

Fk7_412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatch 6spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just got my compressor replaced yesterday, they offered an 80/20 split after reaching out to a honda rep that totaled $1500.. That included a few evap lines replaced and freon recharge on my 18 sport with 51k miles.
Sponsored