Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si HFP 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey Guys,

So I filled my 2018 Si for the first time yesterday, I put in 94 octane. The station also offfered 91 but I opted to go with the 94 instead. Did I make the right choice? Any advice on which premium gas I should run in my Si?

Always happy to hear your responses,
-Daniel
Sponsored

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I doubt you would be getting a benefit from 94 octane unless you were doing sustained hard driving on a track under high temp conditions where pre-detonation can become an issue. Higher octane gasoline, which is more stable, has no more energy potential than lower octane gasoline. There is no more energy to be had from high octane gasoline, then from low octane gasoline. You are definitely spending more money. From what I know it is not going to hurt your engine, but more your pocketbook. I would stick to 91 which is the recommended octane level. Just my 2 cents

OP
OP
Pilksdaniel

Pilksdaniel

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si HFP 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I doubt you would be getting a benefit from 94 octane unless you were doing sustained hard driving on a track under high temp conditions where pre-detonation can become an issue. You are definitely spending more money. From what I know it is not going to hurt your engine, but more your pocketbook. I would stick to 91 which is the recommended octane level. Just my 2 cents
Alright thanks for the advice, the manual says 91 and above not just 91. I do understand your point though.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Alright thanks for the advice, the manual says 91 and above not just 91. I do understand your point though.
Like I said, it's not going to hurt your engine, but unless you are on a race track pushing your engine to it's limits, you would not be getting any additional benefits but would be paying the additional cost. For those who track or race and use their daily drivers, they will usually switch to a higher octane, but than switch back for their "normal drive"

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Some states don't offer more than 91, hence the 91 rating honda worked with when designing the motor. As mentioned, it won't hurt your car to run higher octane.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
Would higher octane levels give better mpg the higher you go in these Sis?

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
Would higher octane levels give better mpg the higher you go in these Sis?
No.

Also, these modern motors don't have any "pre-ignition" problems. If you use too low an octane the PC knows this and automatically detunes your motor so there won't be any pre-ignition.....you'll have less HP but no pre-ignition.
Sponsored