redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
i can buy 93 octane fuel at sams club for a little less than the cost of 89 everywhere else.is there any benefit to running it in a stock 2.0 CVT ?i do live in steamy florida,wondering if the computer would pull less timing with the higher octane.
Sponsored

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
If you’re running a tune that requires 93 octane, it is preferred to use it (93). If you’re all stock, you’re good with 89 as the computer will adjust everything.

alxgravel

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2017
Country flag
Better fuel always good for the motor. I think you would notice it more on a turbo motor. Better oct its good to keep clean injector and more. If the price is lowest then 93 go for it!

Last edited:

V3N0M_VZL4

First Name
Mauricio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI
Country flag
i can buy 93 octane fuel at sams club for a little less than the cost of 89 everywhere else.is there any benefit to running it in a stock 2.0 CVT ?i do live in steamy florida,wondering if the computer would pull less timing with the higher octane.
i always use 93 from costco +1 gallon of ethanol in my civic 2.0

BruisedAvocado

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic si FBO,27won turbo, e85, and E-Tuned by DRob
Country flag
i always use 93 from costco +1 gallon of ethanol in my civic 2.0
wouldnt that raise the Ethanol content to like E18ish? i know that people put a gallon into 91 but i havent heard about 93 and adding ethanol

Beholder84

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
wouldnt that raise the Ethanol content to like E18ish? i know that people put a gallon into 91 but i havent heard about 93 and adding ethanol
I'm in Utah and there's no 93 here. I get 91 and usually put a gallon or so of E85 in the tank with it. It lowers my knock control number down from like .6 to .49 and the car feels like it runs better.

BruisedAvocado

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm in Utah and there's no 93 here. I get 91 and usually put a gallon or so of E85 in the tank with it. It lowers my knock control number down from like .6 to .49 and the car feels like it runs better.
Yup same here In Cali 91 makes my knock hit .54-.63

But like I said I haven't heard of people putting ethanol in 93 I feel like that would raise the ethanol content a little bit too much but his car seems to running fine so what do I know ?‍♂

Beholder84

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yup same here In Cali 91 makes my knock hit .54-.63

But like I said I haven't heard of people putting ethanol in 93 I feel like that would raise the ethanol content a little bit too much but his car seems to running fine so what do I know ?‍♂
I think the only reason you would add E85 to 93 would be if you're running an ethanol tune and you're reaching for the E40-ish level or higher. All that requires an ethanol sensor too so you know what you're doing, but that all seems like a PITA to me.

BruisedAvocado

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think the only reason you would add E85 to 93 would be if you're running an ethanol tune and you're reaching for the E40-ish level or higher. All that requires an ethanol sensor too so you know what you're doing, but that all seems like a PITA to me.
getting the mixture down is scary at first but it becomes second hand nature after filling up and mixing so many times ??

OP
OP

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
so it wont hurt to run straight pump 93?im not modding the car at all,just thinking it might run better on 93.

bmfontdevila

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
so it wont hurt to run straight pump 93?im not modding the car at all,just thinking it might run better on 93.
You can yeah. Won't hurt anything. When I'm trying to keep the spending low I fill up at Sam's (I'm running a 21psi dual map and sometimes their gas isn't amazing quality so my K Con goes up a bit then normal). But if youre not modding or anything you'll be fine running either.

V3N0M_VZL4

First Name
Mauricio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI
Country flag
Same here the car runs smoothly, no issues so far my KC normally is .49 pulling the car goes up to .55 the gasoline in costco sometimes is crappy but for the price I can't complain they sale as a top tier.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Better fuel always good for the motor. I think you would notice it more on a turbo motor. Better oct its good to keep clean injector and more. If the price is lowest then 89 go for it!
Higher octane does not equal "cleaner" fuel. For cleaner fuel you would be better off referring to top tier brand gas.

Unless the OP is running a tune that could take advantage and up timing, using 93 is just wasting money.

OP
OP

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
thats the thing 93 at sams is cheaper than 89 at everywhere else.but the choice is 87 or 93...
Sponsored