Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Here's a Car and Driver article where they compared regular to premium.
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a28565486/honda-cr-v-vs-bmw-m5-ford-f-150-dodge-charger/

It does make wonder if a vehicle's computer can adjust timing & boost in both negative & positive directions. If the system can adjust for lower octane can it also adjust for higher octane, within reason? I don't know how tightly the octane number is controlled. If it varies +/- 1%, does a vehicle's computer make adjustments in either direction in order to optimize fuel economy, emissions, or power?

If 91 octane is used in a basic 1.5L Civic will the computer increase the boost in order to help optimize efficiency? If so, it's probably so small it's not worth the cost of using premium gasoline, but is there any boost gain at all?
Well, that's the point that I'm making. If hatchback sports ere indeed tuned identically to non-sport, but premium fuel gives them a power bonus, than you can't at the same time say that regular 1.5t doesn't get any bonus from premium. Yet some people do say it. You can't have it both ways. Or rather it has to work both ways.

The car can't measure or sense fuel octane any other way than by monitoring the knock sensor, misfires and maybe some other data. The only way the PCM can adjust timing is to retard it until all these data are in range, and then keep trying to advance it, until something starts to go out of limits.

So at any time the car is running the PCM is constantly trying to advance timing until it gives an undesirable sensor response. That's how it finds optimal timing continuously, just as the wideband O2 sensor keeps finding the optimal fuel flow continuously.

So of course it will increase the boost. Actually it will not so much increase the boost, as it will refrain from limiting the boost as it may have been forced to do on regular gas, when reacting to increasing knock events.

mega_milk

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LX
Country flag
Why does Honda say use premium on sport instead of going by the engine?

Both 2.0 and 1.5 come in sport and non-sport models.

If the engines are the same, why would the model with sport require premium? Why would premium be required in a sport 2.0, but not the non-sport 1.5? Doesn't make sense.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag

If the engines are the same, why would the model with sport require premium? Why would premium be required in a sport 2.0, but not the non-sport 1.5? Doesn't make sense.
Because it is the “SPORT” model.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Honda does not recommend premium for the 2.0 N/A Sport sedan models which are specified to the exact same max hp as non-sport. Only for the 1.5T Sport models, which are hatchbacks, specified to a bit higher max hp.

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag

The 2.0L 'Sport' trim level found on the Civic Sedan / Coupe is not the same 'Sport' trim found in the Hatchback. It is literally a "sport" aesthetic with the Sedan / Coupe models.

Canadian spec Civic Sedans (as an example):
Honda Civic 10th gen 91 vs 94 1597273828835

Honda Civic 10th gen 91 vs 94 1597273848116

Compared to the Hatchbacks:
Honda Civic 10th gen 91 vs 94 1597274073960

Honda Civic 10th gen 91 vs 94 1597274098190

EDIT: Similar in the US it looks like (with additional in-between trims)
Civic Sedan by the way.
Honda Civic 10th gen 91 vs 94 1597274640363

Honda Civic 10th gen 91 vs 94 1597274667682

Last edited:

mega_milk

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LX
Country flag
Thanks for the responses. The LX hatch still has the same engine with the same boost pressure. Do you think it has a way different tune and can't take advantage of premium gas? I think there is a little bit of marketing going on because premium gas is more expensive.

If I had a hatch I would definitely try premium in it to see how it feels. It might help with the fuel dilution as well.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I'm glad my 1.5L is designed for 87 octane. By me Mobil is $2.24 regular & $3.12 premium. FWIW Mobil is the cheapest regular (other than Costco) & is the same price as non-TopTier gasoline. Costco TopTier is $2.19 reg & $2.85 prem.

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Thanks for the responses. The LX hatch still has the same engine with the same boost pressure. Do you think it has a way different tune and can't take advantage of premium gas? I think there is a little bit of marketing going on because premium gas is more expensive.

If I had a hatch I would definitely try premium in it to see how it feels. It might help with the fuel dilution as well.
That's actually a good question.
I think the engine would be the same, but the ECU tune/flash is different, and the different exhaust system (?)
Sponsored