9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation)

civic model x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wonder if I can place the mic behind the blank buttons on the side. Dremel out about three rectangular holes. Tie down the mic their. For more hidden look. I’ll see what I’ll do once I get this thing. Thanks for the great info.
Sponsored

caldersm44

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport - 6 Speed
Country flag
Wonder if I can place the mic behind the blank buttons on the side. Dremel out about three rectangular holes. Tie down the mic their. For more hidden look. I’ll see what I’ll do once I get this thing. Thanks for the great info.
Yes I think that would be fine. If u look at the pic above, I added that button and soldered in my garage door opener circuit board. Now I can just press that button without leaving the unit exposed

milhousesdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport hatch
Country flag
I have a 2019 sport and for the m400 install did you guys connect the mic and antennas it comes with or are the stocks plugs already there to connect ?

bay_hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The install went well. The bass is noticeably better with this head unit. The Apple CarPlay sometimes takes a minute to boot up, but I mostly use bluetooth because it just pairs and instantly starts playing. I had to try all of the yellow plugs coming out of the head unit until the correct one turned on the reverse camera when my car was in reverse. I do have the CVT, so not sure how it works with the 6mt. A few negatives are the reverse camera is grainy, it wasn't supplied with the stock antennae connection for the car, the unit lags occasionally, songs cut out occasionally on CarPlay, and the door open alert pops up randomly. Otherwise, it was a great upgrade. Call quality with the supplied mic is good, and still just waiting to install my 12v wires for my underseat subwoofer. Where do people typically run the ground to for subwoofer amplifiers? I am using a custom free launcher because it allows me to customize things to my liking. I haven't tried to run YouTube or streaming Netflix because I don't sit in my car unless I'm driving. The more I play with it, the better I get at navigating it, and figuring out what works best. It's $193 for this version on Aliexpress, which is a great deal, and it got to me in like 2 weeks.
tempImagedjLpQQ.jpg
man this seems so tempting to do, but also I’m still on the fence. For the grounding point for my powered sub, if your wiring end is exposed, I just bought a ring terminal that was wide enough for the passenger seat bolt. My sub is tucked underneath the passenger seat so that was the best location for a ground. If you do decide to place it in the same location, you’ll need a T50 to remove the bolt.

caldersm44

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have a 2019 sport and for the m400 install did you guys connect the mic and antennas it comes with or are the stocks plugs already there to connect ?
The existing radio antenna fits and plugs directly into the back of the radio. You also have a cell antenna and a gps antenna. I plugged them all in, but I use my iPhone with CarPlay for GPS, so really won’t use them. I just put them behind the radio. I like the new mic better. One thing for sure...I am getting 4x more stations on the radio. See below some pics for the antenna connections and mic connections. I took a lot of pics of the install.

Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) 2B25D393-6855-4D85-BA3F-8D7C57A0857B

Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) 24076034-1B02-4361-B268-922F80BCF3CF

Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) 24825373-011C-41AC-A6B2-53FF65D9E3C5

Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) 548BE77F-477E-4E76-AFAF-2643AFA24A31

caldersm44

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The install went well. The bass is noticeably better with this head unit. The Apple CarPlay sometimes takes a minute to boot up, but I mostly use bluetooth because it just pairs and instantly starts playing. I had to try all of the yellow plugs coming out of the head unit until the correct one turned on the reverse camera when my car was in reverse. I do have the CVT, so not sure how it works with the 6mt. A few negatives are the reverse camera is grainy, it wasn't supplied with the stock antennae connection for the car, the unit lags occasionally, songs cut out occasionally on CarPlay, and the door open alert pops up randomly. Otherwise, it was a great upgrade. Call quality with the supplied mic is good, and still just waiting to install my 12v wires for my underseat subwoofer. Where do people typically run the ground to for subwoofer amplifiers? I am using a custom free launcher because it allows me to customize things to my liking. I haven't tried to run YouTube or streaming Netflix because I don't sit in my car unless I'm driving. The more I play with it, the better I get at navigating it, and figuring out what works best. It's $193 for this version on Aliexpress, which is a great deal, and it got to me in like 2 weeks.
tempImagedjLpQQ.jpg
If u want the CarPlay to connect faster....Naldy posted a fix. You find out the IP address u are getting dealt from the radio and set it to manual programmed at that IP....but leave the router address empty. That way it won’t think u are connecting for internet and since it is a fixed IP, it won’t have to wait to negotiate it. Mine is really fast now! And I set the sleep to like 3 days so it boots instantly.

civic model x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Appears page 9 has information on tapping into the stock microphone in the car. As opposed of using the supplied mic that you would have to stick somewhere.

If correct I should be able to buy an open end 3.5 cable from Amazon. Using posi taps to tap into the stock wire harness and just plug the 3.5 cable to the navifly.

picture pulled from page 9. I believe that is the stock harness

Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) 3AD796A9-6F1A-4275-9BFA-A3B59A949BA0
Tap this to the stock harness and plug other end to unit.
Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) 75DBB01A-3D3B-45E2-9B45-C0CDC3988E5B

Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) 8547394C-B948-40F8-9713-B4A2BB022414

Last edited:

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
TBH I didn't read everything. 69 pages is redic. This just seems like a lot of work for not a lot more oomph.

civic model x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
TBH I didn't read everything. 69 pages is redic. This just seems like a lot of work for not a lot more oomph.
Yes a lot of information spread out on this post. Had to dig. But honestly from what I’m reading this is an easy plug and play upgrade. I am just picky about the mic. I rather have it more integrated. But once added you should have the following More options if you have the 5”

Upgrade advantage
9” screen
Android system with downloadable apps
Apple car play
Better audio
Faster than the stock 7” on higher models
WiFi capabilties
Touch screen
More customizations
Maybe I can use hondata on this now
Plus more

I wouldn’t say not a lot of oomph.

Last edited:

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes a lot of information spread out on this post. Had to dig. But honestly from what I’m reading this is an easy plug and play upgrade. I am just picky about the mic. I rather have it more integrated. But once added you should have the following More options if you have the 5”

Upgrade advantage
9” screen
Android system with downloadable apps
Apple car play
Better audio
Faster than the stock 7” on higher models
WiFi capabilties
Touch screen
More customizations
Maybe I can use hondata on this now
Plus more

I wouldn’t say not a lot of oomph.
So, having admitted I haven't read most of this... Sell me. I've got $X and have my eyes set on a new grill.
I currently don't use Android Auto, just manually BT pair after my HU (tunerview lite) pairs with KTuner, and have my phone for nav in a mount just below the HU. I stream all my music via BT; source is HQ.
I've used the free Honda Hack.

Just curious what the allure is.

civic model x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, having admitted I haven't read most of this... Sell me. I've got $X and have my eyes set on a new grill.
I currently don't use Android Auto, just manually BT pair after my HU (tunerview lite) pairs with KTuner, and have my phone for nav in a mount just below the HU. I stream all my music via BT; source is HQ.

you already have an ex so not sure if this would benefit you as much as those of us without the 7” screen. Also this stereo may not be plug and play for people who have the built in amp.

caldersm44

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes....that is what I see on my PDF.....C22 and C23. That should work. Let me know if it works ok....I might do that....although the new mic sounds much better than that old one...according to my wife.

When you get your radio.....let me know if your reverse camera works or not. If you look at C16...that is the Camera Detect...that is not wired into my harness, but I think it should be. Also....with the 5" display....we do not have a C15....which is the reverse signal. I have asked Navifly for help...and they are sending me a video of how to fix this....but I believe it is a wiring issue. I will try their solution...but if it doesn't work....I am going to try to measure that C16 wire voltage and see if i can get that into the reverse signal of the radio directly.

caldersm44

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

I don't see a huge reason, as you already have a touch screen. Naldy...I believe....went from the 7" touch to the new one....he might have more information. From the 5" non-touch...this is a HUGE upgrade....especially with Wireless Carplay. My son used the USB connection to watch a few movie on it this weekend when we travelled...he was so jazzed...! With Netflix....Youtube....much better radio.....and the amp REALLY brings the volume way up from the 5" HU.....I mean it is a HUGE upgrade in sound. It was a no brainer for me.

Having said that....I might struggle....if I had a 7" touch with this upgrade....versus getting a RT-B380 Bullseye Grill. For $399 you get a smoker that goes down to 200 degrees....and a grill that goes up to 700+ degrees.....I would get that grill instead.....just saying. :)
https://www.recteq.com/RT-B380-Bullseye-Wood-Pellet-Grill

naldy

First Name
mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Hatchback
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

I went from a 5" to this so it was a pretty significant improvement. These units are also way faster than HondaHack. For some background, I went from the stock 5" to a Pioneer 7"(?) to a Joying 9" Android unit and finally to the Navifly 9" Android. I'm just personally a stickler for UI design audio quality and an OEM look. These Android units for me kinda scratch all those itches. But I will say that the built in bluetooth player on these is pretty basic, I almost always use Apple Carplay.

Also still havent figured out how to connect my unit to Tunerview either which kinda sucks, and I'm not entirely sure that I'll be able to do so. But I have a Ktuner V2 so it's not a problem

That being said, these units are amazing for road trips. My gf and I had movies running for our entire 8 hour drive to Colorado last month.

There are definitely little quirks here and there and these units aren't perfect but I've had absolutely no regrets and it's made my experience in the car all that much better

caldersm44

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I went from a 5" to this so it was a pretty significant improvement. These units are also way faster than HondaHack. I'm just personally a stickler for UI design audio quality and an OEM look. These for me kinda scratch all those itches. But I will say that the built in bluetooth player on these is pretty basic, I almost always use Apple Carplay.

Also still havent figured out how to connect my unit to Tunerview either which kinda sucks, and I'm not entirely sure that I'll be able to do so.

That being said, these units are amazing for road trips. My gf and I had movies running for our entire 8 hour drive to Colorado last month.

There are definitely little quirks here and there and these units aren't perfect but I've had absolutely no regrets and it's made my experience in the car all that much better
Naldy....if you get a chance to snap a pic of your 32 pin connector...car and radio side....would love to get those images. Just to see if this is a software thing or hardware issue with my reverse camera. Thanks man....
Sponsored