9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation)

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic LX, 18 Model X 100D
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I did.....I did it under Extra Settings. Model type. Under that is a Logo Change.
I went there, model type did show logo change, but had only Android 10 as an option

civic model x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Been trying to figure out which unit to buy think I am looking to probably settle on the m400 even though I can afford the px6

Unless I am wrong I only see about three advantages that the px6 has that is making this cost about $130 more than the m400. Not sure if it’s worth it.

PX6 Pros
No physical buttons (maybe an advantage?)
Faster processor
Android 10 (but others have stated their m400 are on android 10)
HDMI

Last edited:

caldersm44

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport - 6 Speed
Country flag
I went there, model type did show logo change, but had only Android 10 as an option
I had to go thru the model change type for the Canbus. I was trying to get my reverse camera working by trying different Canbus car types. By selecting Honda Civic 2016 New Public with AC and/or Rt Mirror Camera...there is a button that says Set Logo. I picked Honda. It then writes it to the MCU and reboots. Then the logo shows up at boot for me.

caldersm44

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Been trying to figure out which unit to buy think I am looking to probably settle on the m400 even though I can afford the px6

Unless I am wrong I only see about three advantages that the px6 has that is making this cost about $130 more than the m400. Not sure if it’s worth it.

px6 pros
No physical buttons (maybe an advantage?)
Faster processor
Android 10 (but others have stated their m400 are on android 10)
I love my M400....but if I could have afforded the fastest one available then I would have gone with the PX6. The M400 is really fast, and even a restarts is like 15 secs. So no regrets. But the faster and newer the Head Unit, the longer it gets later versions of Android updates. Just sayin

Naldy...is your PX6 resolution higher than 1024x600? I thought it might be. That would be another reason.

Not sure what version of Civic u have but my Sport Manual 6 Sp with that crappy 5” radio is having issues seeing when I go in reverse, so my backup isn’t automatically started. Working on that issue full time...and I will solve it, but just being transparent. Might just be my car...not sure yet.

good luck deciding! ??

civic model x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks that is very helpful. I’ll decide soon. I have a civic sport cvt. 5” garbage. I do have an under seat sub. From what I am reading. I will get even better sound from the m400 or the px6. I really can’t wait to upgrade as the 5” screen makes the car look so dated.

caldersm44

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks that is very helpful. I’ll decide soon. I have a civic sport cvt. 5” garbage. I do have an under seat sub. From what I am reading. I will get even better sound from the m400 or the px6. I really can’t wait to upgrade as the 5” screen makes the car look so dated.
I do not have a sub....so the update was Amazing!! My old radio had hardly any volume on the rear speakers. But the M400 blasts it out...totally worth it. And the wireless Apple CarPlay is awesome!

civic model x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hopefully you find a solution for the backup cam. It does sound like possibly the manual’s are wired differently from the cvt.

civic model x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Order placed got the m400. Just couldn’t justify the extra cash for the px6. The m400 does everything I read I needed it to do. I figured it is already faster than the upper tier civic units. Will do way more than the 5” unit. If it dies early (which I hope not) or maybe I don’t like the unit $220 won’t be as bad as $360. Can’t wait to get it into the car. Now the waiting begins.

naldy

First Name
mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Hatchback
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Order placed got the m400. Just couldn’t justify the extra cash for the px6. The m400 does everything I read I needed it to do. I figured it is already faster than the upper tier civic units. Will do way more than the 5” unit. If it dies early (which I hope not) or maybe I don’t like the unit $220 won’t be as bad as $360. Can’t wait to get it into the car. Now the waiting begins.
congrats, you’re gonna love it, feel free to reach out via PM if you need any help

civic model x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
congrats, you’re gonna love it, feel free to reach out via PM if you need any help
Thanks! Looks plug and play especially compared to people needing to buy several items for Oem stereo retrofit in the diy section. Buying units, am fm unit, gps, wiring, etc. This in comparison looks very straight forward. One of the Question is did you guys install the mic or left it out and used the mic on the unit. If it’s sufficient enough that’s great I’ll leave it out. I looked at diagrams of the mic but would love to tap the wires from this unit to the internal mic. Would rather use the cars mic than a wired mic that needs to be run to the steering column off the unit.

naldy

First Name
mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Hatchback
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Thanks! Looks plug and play especially compared to people needing to buy several items for Oem stereo retrofit in the diy section. Buying units, am fm unit, gps, wiring, etc. This in comparison looks very straight forward. One of the Question is did you guys install the mic or left it out and used the mic on the unit. If it’s sufficient enough that’s great I’ll leave it out. I looked at diagrams of the mic but would love to tap the wires from this unit to the internal mic. Would rather use the cars mic than a wired mic that needs to be run to the steering column off the unit.
i personally just ran the mic to my steering wheel and just stuck it on top in front of the instrument cluster, it’s not in the way or anything. I’ve heard of people actually completely replacing the oem mic with the HU one

Pineapple

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hatch LX (FK7) 2012 Civic LX
Country flag
How did the install go? I have a 2020 sport with the 7 inch touch screen and I also replaced my front speakers with Alpine S-65C speakers and was a little disappointed with the lack of bass coming from them. I just added a powered subwoofer and it greatly improved but I'm thinking of getting the android unit for the built in DSP.
The install went well. The bass is noticeably better with this head unit. The Apple CarPlay sometimes takes a minute to boot up, but I mostly use bluetooth because it just pairs and instantly starts playing. I had to try all of the yellow plugs coming out of the head unit until the correct one turned on the reverse camera when my car was in reverse. I do have the CVT, so not sure how it works with the 6mt. A few negatives are the reverse camera is grainy, it wasn't supplied with the stock antennae connection for the car, the unit lags occasionally, songs cut out occasionally on CarPlay, and the door open alert pops up randomly. Otherwise, it was a great upgrade. Call quality with the supplied mic is good, and still just waiting to install my 12v wires for my underseat subwoofer. Where do people typically run the ground to for subwoofer amplifiers? I am using a custom free launcher because it allows me to customize things to my liking. I haven't tried to run YouTube or streaming Netflix because I don't sit in my car unless I'm driving. The more I play with it, the better I get at navigating it, and figuring out what works best. It's $193 for this version on Aliexpress, which is a great deal, and it got to me in like 2 weeks.
Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) tempImagedjLpQQ

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic LX, 18 Model X 100D
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The install went well. The bass is noticeably better with this head unit. The Apple CarPlay sometimes takes a minute to boot up, but I mostly use bluetooth because it just pairs and instantly starts playing. I had to try all of the yellow plugs coming out of the head unit until the correct one turned on the reverse camera when my car was in reverse. I do have the CVT, so not sure how it works with the 6mt. A few negatives are the reverse camera is grainy, it wasn't supplied with the stock antennae connection for the car, the unit lags occasionally, songs cut out occasionally on CarPlay, and the door open alert pops up randomly. Otherwise, it was a great upgrade. Call quality with the supplied mic is good, and still just waiting to install my 12v wires for my underseat subwoofer. Where do people typically run the ground to for subwoofer amplifiers? I am using a custom free launcher because it allows me to customize things to my liking. I haven't tried to run YouTube or streaming Netflix because I don't sit in my car unless I'm driving. The more I play with it, the better I get at navigating it, and figuring out what works best. It's $193 for this version on Aliexpress, which is a great deal, and it got to me in like 2 weeks.
tempImagedjLpQQ.jpg
grainy reverse camera is Honda's fault... even my 2020 ODyssey with 8 inch screen is horrible and grainy... now imagine taking a horrible quality camera feed that was designed for 5 inch screen and stretching it to 9 inches...

caldersm44

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Installed the mic in the upper left corner of windshield. Super easy! Wife said the new one is so much better. Pics show path and install location

Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) F52411F9-B165-4A77-88FE-8BCC955ACF9C

Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) 56D324A5-2137-433E-92D3-2401D815BDD4

Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) 013D7244-B956-40C1-8EB9-A33F876A6971

Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) 4EEDBA46-B709-4F91-BF1B-3FF69FF64B49