9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation)

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic LX, 18 Model X 100D
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Ok....Have everything working now....thanks to Naldy about setting up the Wifi Tether with a manual IP connection....with no Router....that and a Reset did the trick. I can use the WIFI from my phone or Wireless Carplay via Tether. The issue for me was that the connection to the Tether of the HU had a different Subnet (third octet) when I connected to Wireless Carplay and tried to switch to the HU Apps that required WIFI. Since I was at my house....when Carplay dropped....my home WIFI gave me an IP address that was a different subnet and that confused the HU. So when I unlearned my home WIFI and used LTE for Data....everything went seamless.

Have to say....WOW.....this M400 vs the 5" Honda HU.....it's no competition! The M400 Bass is AMAZING....I basically had no sound in the old unit for the rear speakers....but now...WOW...is amazing. I have not even changed the speakers...and am debating whether I will...it is that good.

So...the only issue is the Backup camera. I believe it is because the Reverse wiring detection goes into the CANBUS....and I need to probably change the type. I went to Settings: Car Settings: Extra Settings: Password: 3368. But it doesn't do anything. I know I need to change it, but it doesn't work. Ugh. Let me know if you know of any other passwords. I tried 0000, 126, 3368. No luck.

Thanks for your help.
Steve
what issue with your reverse camera? this should be the connector for your camera

Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 5.11.43 PM
Sponsored

caldersm44

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport - 6 Speed
Country flag
what issue with your reverse camera? this should be the connector for your camera

Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 5.11.43 PM.png
Yes...I am connected to that one. But it’s more of an issue with the reverse switch not being recognized by the canbus due to the model settings.
Can u check what your car model is setup as? Settings: Car Settings: Other Settings: Car Model. I have a sport manual and everything works but the reverse being recognized.

naldy

First Name
mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Hatchback
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
What password did you use to get into the settings?
try 8806. and the reverse camera should work out of the box, you might have hooked it up wrong like i did at first but i’m not sure . there should be a cable coming from the canbus i think, and you plug the rear cam

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic LX, 18 Model X 100D
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
hmmm, I didn't change that, it should just indeed work out of the box since you just connecting RCA cable, don't think it has anything to do with canbus... I might be wrong though.. I'll check tomorrow, I took my car to stealership for timing chain cover leak fix...

naldy

First Name
mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Found the password on YouTube: 123456. This one works for me

huh, weird lol. and set it to CRV

and yeah man, i was considering changing out my speakers too but changing out the head unit was a world of difference. mess with the separate bass amplification settings too

Last edited:

caldersm44

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport - 6 Speed
Country flag
try 8806. and the reverse camera should work out of the box, you might have hooked it up wrong like i did at first but i’m not sure . there should be a cable coming from the canbus i think, and you plug the rear cam
My plug for the rear camera plugs into the radio. But the screen doesn’t even change in reverse...like it doesn’t know I went into reverse. What is your model setup as?

naldy

First Name
mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
My plug for the rear camera plugs into the radio. But the screen doesn’t even change in reverse...like it doesn’t know I went into reverse. What is your model setup as?
i get that, but where are you plugging the other end of that cable to?

and i believe the CRV and Civic share the same canbus protocol, regardless it was set up as CRV on my Joying as well as the Navifly I have rn

Also idk if anyone else is having this issue; i’m away on a business trip and my girlfriend has been driving the car. apparently every once in a while when reversing, the rear cam will randomly switch off and go back to the apple carplay screen, and she’ll have to put the car in drive and then back in reverse for the camera to pop back up. anyone know why?

xoextreme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic LX
Country flag
Hey guys brand new to this. I have a 2020 LX civic and was wanting to do this. There's a lot of pages to go through in this thread so I'm hoping that someone can reply and help. What should I be looking for, for my 2020 civic? I don't know what radio to buy to have the android auto, GPS and everything. I watched the video on how to put it in on the 2017 model and it seems easy enough. I'm looking on ebay and I'm seeing units that are around $175, but it seems like most are saying they're spending more than that so I'm not sure I'm looking at the right things. Seems like some of the units are plug and play too so that would be something I'm looking for.

E: Was watching another video and the person didn't have functionality of his steering wheel buttons, is that common, can it be fixed if I were to install one of these radios?

Last edited:

naldy

First Name
mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Hey guys brand new to this. I have a 2020 LX civic and was wanting to do this. There's a lot of pages to go through in this thread so I'm hoping that someone can reply and help. What should I be looking for, for my 2020 civic? I don't know what radio to buy to have the android auto, GPS and everything. I watched the video on how to put it in on the 2017 model and it seems easy enough. I'm looking on ebay and I'm seeing units that are around $175, but it seems like most are saying they're spending more than that so I'm not sure I'm looking at the right things. Seems like some of the units are plug and play too so that would be something I'm looking for.

E: Was watching another video and the person didn't have functionality of his steering wheel buttons, is that common, can it be fixed if I were to install one of these radios?
So you have a number of options, generally speaking you want a unit with 4gb ram/64gb internal. and those will generally have nicer processors than the cheaper $100-200 models

as for brands, phoenix and gtacarkits have been selling them in the states for a while but they generally mark up their units quite a bit. if you go with aliexpress you’ll be able to get the same unit 100-200 cheaper.

right now your best bet is probably the navifly M400, which a good number of users here have had good luck with and it’s reasonably priced. but it runs android 8.1 which is a little outdated. if you wanna go top of the line, get the navifly PX6 which runs android 10. i’m troubleshooting some of the small quirks on that unit right now though. you’ll get steering wheel controls on pretty much all of the current gen models of these android units

edit: if you go with any unit on ali, use "INRCDGYS" to get $24 in coupons. it’s my personal referral code

xoextreme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic LX
Country flag
So you have a number of options, generally speaking you want a unit with 4gb ram/64gb internal. and those will generally have nicer processors than the cheaper $100-200 models

as for brands, phoenix and gtacarkits have been selling them in the states for a while but they generally mark up their units quite a bit. if you go with aliexpress you’ll be able to get the same unit 100-200 cheaper.

right now your best bet is probably the navifly M400, which a good number of users here have had good luck with and it’s reasonably priced. but it runs android 8.1 which is a little outdated. if you wanna go top of the line, get the navifly PX6 which runs android 10. i’m troubleshooting some of the small quirks on that unit right now though. you’ll get steering wheel controls on pretty much all of the current gen models of these android units

edit: if you go with any unit on ali, use "INRCDGYS" to get $24 in coupons. it’s my personal referral code
Would I need to get anything to have android auto working with the m400? or even the PX6? And both would have the steering wheel buttons working too? And they both support GPS?

naldy

First Name
mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Would I need to get anything to have android auto working with the m400? or even the PX6? And both would have the steering wheel buttons working too? And they both support GPS?
nope, on the M400 and PX6 AA is built in so you don’t need a dongle or anything. and yup, steering wheel controls and gps will both work. although i don’t really use gps, only apple carplay

xoextreme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic LX
Country flag
nope, on the M400 and PX6 AA is built in so you don’t need a dongle or anything. and yup, steering wheel controls and gps will both work. although i don’t really use gps, only apple carplay
I might just do the M400 the price is too good and with your discount code even better

civic model x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Been wanting to replace the terrible stereo in my sport. After reading through almost the entire post. I think these last several pages show the navifly as best bang for your buck. Now I am torn between the m400 and px6. Naldy mentioned issues with car play and backup cam. Let us know if you find out the issue. I might stick with the m400 with older software if it is not as buggy as the px6 Android 10. I always like a faster unit and hdmi. Also thank you to everyone for contributing information on these units.
Sponsored