9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation)

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
to be fair, the stock unit for MANY people is mid to bad (and even really bad) time. to that's not really a fair assessment of the entire situation.

but, what HUGE issues are people skipping over that you see?

I know o 3 that seem to be on the top of my list right now :
no true 4 channel; it seems the fader / amp / config is wrong?
lose center channel;
basially need another AMP in touring cars to really make use of all the speaker locations.
I agree the stick headunit isn't bad, but only if you intend to keep your audio for the most part stock. My primary reason for swapping the HU is due to the lack of outputs and the less than optimal eq curve. Even using a DSP to correct those issues the results were still not great. The speaker level outputs do not have a very clean signal and the bass rolloff is terrible. Using EQFlat to correct that is a viable solution, but the app has serious bugs that cause the headunit to freeze and crash frequently.

Also the stock HU has really low specs for cpu, memory and storage, so on its own its fine, but start adding apps and using up the storage, it really slows down and causes stability issues.

Those are just my thoughts on why I changed it out, if the stock unit meets your needs then I would definitely stay with it.
Seems my statement can be read multiple ways. I hate the stock system and have been looking for a viable replacement since day one and feel there still isn’t one on the market worth the hassle.
I’ve had all kinds of issues with the stock unit, though it seems to be more stable after the latest update, I don’t want to trade one set of issues for a different set. Needs to be a clear improvement. Stable, clear compatible install, etc.

Biggest question for me has been whether or not the extensive car settings you can only access through the infotainment system can fully be accessed through these third party systems. I see people say “yes” but no one has given any further detail than “seems to work”. Would love video confirmation of all functions but never seem to find one.
Yes I know mostly those are set once and go mostly untouched after but still matters to me.

Other stuff that seems common is problems with the steering wheel controls, a consistent hiss, fm radio problems, back up camera problems, right turn camera problems. I mean could go on but either people are dropping off the forum after they found solutions to these issues or just decided to live with them.

I understand that people are okay with some downsides for other upsides but for me it’s not worth the effort unless it’s all upside.
Sponsored

caldersm44

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport - 6 Speed
Country flag
Seems my statement can be read multiple ways. I hate the stock system and have been looking for a viable replacement since day one and feel there still isn’t one on the market worth the hassle.
I’ve had all kinds of issues with the stock unit, though it seems to be more stable after the latest update, I don’t want to trade one set of issues for a different set. Needs to be a clear improvement. Stable, clear compatible install, etc.

Biggest question for me has been whether or not the extensive car settings you can only access through the infotainment system can fully be accessed through these third party systems. I see people say “yes” but no one has given any further detail than “seems to work”. Would love video confirmation of all functions but never seem to find one.
Yes I know mostly those are set once and go mostly untouched after but still matters to me.

Other stuff that seems common is problems with the steering wheel controls, a consistent hiss, fm radio problems, back up camera problems, right turn camera problems. I mean could go on but either people are dropping off the forum after they found solutions to these issues or just decided to live with them.

I understand that people are okay with some downsides for other upsides but for me it’s not worth the effort unless it’s all upside.
I have had the M400 for a long while now.....and don't have any issues with the items you state above that don't have a quick fix for them. I love to tinker with stuff and I am an electrical engineer....so in the beginning there were some items to figure out, but it was fun to me.

- Steering wheel issues(fixed by changing Car types in radio settings)
- Never had hiss.
- Radio issues(fixed by adding a wire from 12v to the Civic side antennae pre-Amplifier)
- Backup Camera(fixed by running a wire from the reverse wire to the radio harness)
- Don't have a right Camera on the 2018 Manual Sport HB.
- Don't have car settings....mine is the plain jane civic turbo....not the touring.

Only two issues that I have right now:
1. Sometimes the radio won't connected via wireless carplay. So I just click the pulldown and reset the radio and it works for several months. It is basically an Android device and so it needs to be rebooted just like a tablet.....am assuming memory leaks or back programming. If you have both wired and wireless carplay...then this is not likely an issue for you.
2. I have had the screen go black on me.....3 times in the past few years....like the post above. I just had to release the radio to get to the back and pull the power plug.....and do a hard reboot.

Going from the 5" plain jane single color crappy radio......this one is a dream!! Would do it again in a heart beat. The sound upgrade alone from that radio is AMAZING.....with the DSP to throw the bass to the rear and real 4 channel amplifier.....it sounds awesome. I think you have the upgraded radio from honda already......so it might not be better for you, but for me....it is the best Mod I have done to the car to date.....except maybe adding the sound deadening to the doors....now that makes the bass super clean...!

Dr_Drache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 CRX - 2017 FK8 TypeR
Country flag

From my research - and experience (other cars with them) this is what I can say about your points :

1 - the only thing that doesn't work for the CAN integration (system settings) is the rev-match on FK8s, which stays set to whatever you set it with on the stock HU.
2 - all cameras work.
3 - Steering wheel controls work after programming
4 - constant HISS is not a - normal issue - there are just as many without it. (this seems to be related to amp power)
5 - FM radio problems, the latest post about it was the only time I've heard about this - didn't plug it in right?

alMost of these issues are due to the CAN interface, which seems to have the biggest range of quality control. I have seen a unit go from useless, to gold standard with just a new CAN box replacement.

I unfortunately have not seen any data from the bigger units (new that support OPT/COAX) the 12/13" telsa style - all of the data I can speak on are all on the HU only replacements.

I'm holding out on installing one, because I want to keep the stock touring speaker setup (aka, I want to keep the center speaker as it works) - and I'd kinda like true 4 channel from the headunit (is it?)

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
From my research - and experience (other cars with them) this is what I can say about your points :

1 - the only thing that doesn't work for the CAN integration (system settings) is the rev-match on FK8s, which stays set to whatever you set it with on the stock HU.
2 - all cameras work.
3 - Steering wheel controls work after programming
4 - constant HISS is not a - normal issue - there are just as many without it. (this seems to be related to amp power)
5 - FM radio problems, the latest post about it was the only time I've heard about this - didn't plug it in right?

alMost of these issues are due to the CAN interface, which seems to have the biggest range of quality control. I have seen a unit go from useless, to gold standard with just a new CAN box replacement.

I unfortunately have not seen any data from the bigger units (new that support OPT/COAX) the 12/13" telsa style - all of the data I can speak on are all on the HU only replacements.

I'm holding out on installing one, because I want to keep the stock touring speaker setup (aka, I want to keep the center speaker as it works) - and I'd kinda like true 4 channel from the headunit (is it?)
So you’ve seen examples of people with working Vehicle controls like the ones in the image attached?
Could you point me to that, I seem to never find confirmation.

Also what’s the issue with the center speaker on tourings? Just the size of the unit?

Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) 7D780B9A-1613-464B-967B-D7A15107D74A

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
So you’ve seen examples of people with working Vehicle controls like the ones in the image attached?
Could you point me to that, I seem to never find confirmation.

Also what’s the issue with the center speaker on tourings? Just the size of the unit?

7D780B9A-1613-464B-967B-D7A15107D74A.jpeg
This is my Joying unit. These pics were from when I showed someone how to enable the side camera. But in here are those settings, maintenance/tpms reset, etc.

Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) 9E2899AE-C7B0-4611-98A6-1E38544EF46A
Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) 9A8F9885-805D-4CCD-B77F-FD36FE4BC1B7
Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) ED155596-23F1-470D-B62C-A50726EA225C

Dr_Drache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 CRX - 2017 FK8 TypeR
Country flag
so, the touring (hatchback) have a 12 speaker setup.
front doors have woofers and tweeters (so 4)
rear doors have woofers and tweeters (another 4)
rear C pillars have fill surrounds (2" mids?) (another 2)
we have a Shitty Sub ( another 1)
and center speaker ( last 1)
but the center speaker is where navigation/voice control/Alerts/Assistant comes through
the system reduces volume on all other channels while playing that info, then resumes volume on the other channels - while in normal mode; this is a front fill channel as well (LW+LT + RW+RT summed)

the doors, the fill - the sub, those I could all get by and enjoy with a HU that has 4 channels - but that' 5th channel man, that... this is just something I like.

btycda36

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I have had the M400 for a long while now.....and don't have any issues with the items you state above that don't have a quick fix for them. I love to tinker with stuff and I am an electrical engineer....so in the beginning there were some items to figure out, but it was fun to me.

- Steering wheel issues(fixed by changing Car types in radio settings)
- Never had hiss.
- Radio issues(fixed by adding a wire from 12v to the Civic side antennae pre-Amplifier)
- Backup Camera(fixed by running a wire from the reverse wire to the radio harness)
- Don't have a right Camera on the 2018 Manual Sport HB.
- Don't have car settings....mine is the plain jane civic turbo....not the touring.

Only two issues that I have right now:
1. Sometimes the radio won't connected via wireless carplay. So I just click the pulldown and reset the radio and it works for several months. It is basically an Android device and so it needs to be rebooted just like a tablet.....am assuming memory leaks or back programming. If you have both wired and wireless carplay...then this is not likely an issue for you.
2. I have had the screen go black on me.....3 times in the past few years....like the post above. I just had to release the radio to get to the back and pull the power plug.....and do a hard reboot.

Going from the 5" plain jane single color crappy radio......this one is a dream!! Would do it again in a heart beat. The sound upgrade alone from that radio is AMAZING.....with the DSP to throw the bass to the rear and real 4 channel amplifier.....it sounds awesome. I think you have the upgraded radio from honda already......so it might not be better for you, but for me....it is the best Mod I have done to the car to date.....except maybe adding the sound deadening to the doors....now that makes the bass super clean...!
Just followed your way and pulled the unit to unplug and the screen is working again! Thought about this afterwards... I wonder if just pulling the radio fuse would do the same trick? Either way, I already have the M700S on order so hopefully I don't have the same issue with it.

caldersm44

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just followed your way and pulled the unit to unplug and the screen is working again! Thought about this afterwards... I wonder if just pulling the radio fuse would do the same trick? Either way, I already have the M700S on order so hopefully I don't have the same issue with it.
Yes....if the radio fuse is the main 12V feed from the battery....that should work as well. Like I said it has only happened about 3 times....so no big deal.

Let me know how you like the M700s. Where did you order it...? How much...? Link..?

I might upgrade in the next year....maybe.....

btycda36

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes....if the radio fuse is the main 12V feed from the battery....that should work as well. Like I said it has only happened about 3 times....so no big deal.

Let me know how you like the M700s. Where did you order it...? How much...? Link..?

I might upgrade in the next year....maybe.....
Will do! I ordered it with the QLED screen upgrade from Aliexpress. Same way I ordered the M400. Total with shipping/tax was just over $300

caldersm44

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just wanted to share something.....I kept getting TPM sensor lights randomly, and when I went to check the pressure...they were all within a PSI of each other. But I have been travelling, and didn't want to have to stop to check with a gauge, so I bought a TPM sensor transmitter setup.

TPM Monitor at Amazon
12V Outlet at Walmart in Store

So I mounted a 12v outlet from under the AC controls and fed it from the power coming to the Radio from the ACC 12v line using T-Taps. So now I can see the air pressure in PSI, as well as the temperature in Degs C of all four tires, and as a bonus, it gives me the DC Car Voltage as well! Pretty slick setup.

I caught it on a Lightening sale that was $10 off....as well, they have a 35% coupon you can clip....all in all....I got it for $38. Good money spent for some relief when I get a false light come on.

Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) 1653481055032

Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) 1653481091978

btycda36

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Been using the M700 with the "oled upgrade" for a bit. So far it's very good, really fast and responsive. All features work really well except for the fm tuner that I can't get working, but I think that's the fault of the antenna adapter and not the headunit.
So I've installed the M700 and the antenna harness it came with didn't match my Civic's. So I re-used the harness from the M400 to test it out but, I'm getting horrible FM signal. I've reached out to Navifly to see if they have a harness that matches the M700 and the car. Have you had any luck getting yours to work better?

caldersm44

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So I've installed the M700 and the antenna harness it came with didn't match my Civic's. So I re-used the harness from the M400 to test it out but, I'm getting horrible FM signal. I've reached out to Navifly to see if they have a harness that matches the M700 and the car. Have you had any luck getting yours to work better?
I don't have the M700, but there is an antenna amplifier on the Civics that needs 12V. If you can get the pinout of the civic that you have, then you can add a T-tap to pick up the 12v and inject it into the proper pin. Not sure where it is on the 7" Touch Screen Civic's connectors.

Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) 1654002864931

btycda36

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't have the M700, but there is an antenna amplifier on the Civics that needs 12V. If you can get the pinout of the civic that you have, then you can add a T-tap to pick up the 12v and inject it into the proper pin. Not sure where it is on the 7" Touch Screen Civic's connectors.

1654002864931.png
Thank you! I actually found this out this morning and spliced the 12v "Ant Pwr" wire into the M400 adapter and that did the trick! The antenna harnesses they sent me were not even close for my car lol.

Metalpres

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic EX-T Hatchback
Country flag

I have not solved it yet either. My M700 also came with the wrong harness that's a multi wire harness for an amplified antenna. I ended up buying a Metra harness that's specifically for this model car, the Metra one fits, but has the same result of horrible reception.

I am not sure if the sharkfin antenna even provides FM signal or if it's xm/GPS only, and there may be a hidden fm antenna somewhere else. I don't want to rip off the sharkfin just to test it directly.

I have seen several aftermarket windshield mount antennas, and a couple mini antennas that you can tuck under the headliner and connect directly to the headunit without using any of the cars factory wiring. I may end up just going that route and giving up on trying to make the factory harness work.

I also tested the fm harness using a Kenwood headunit and that got no fm reception, so the M700 is not the problem. The FM signal has to be coming from a different wire, or combination of multiple wires.
Sponsored