9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation)

caldersm44

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport - 6 Speed
Country flag
Hi everyone!

I'm getting sick of my stock head unit in my car due to how bad it can lag sometimes (I believe this is mostly through Android Auto, admittedly). Additionally I've been having some pretty annoying errors lately.
I'm also kind of interested in wireless Android Auto.

I've been looking into possible head units, and I see a lot of people mentioning Navifly, but I'm also reading tons of issues with navifly and I usually try to steer away from off-brand chinese parts for my car.

I'm currently looking at the Pioneer DMH-WT8600NEX.
It claims it retains access to stock features such as TPMS, etc. Would anyone else know whether or not I could still update my oil change alerts through this, door lock settings, if there'd be any issues my audio (currently running stock speakers)? Rear / Side camera's. Anything else I didn't mention but are handled by the current headunit.

Also this Head Unit is 10.1", so I'm not actually sure it'll fit my car.

I drive a 2018 Honda Civic si.

Thanks in advance for any advice guys!

It's either this, or I'm tempted to take my current unit apart and see about manually adding some ram to it.

Ideally if I can add this pioneer unit to my car, I should be able to add an app for my garage door (my remote really sucks at opening my garage door from inside the car for some reason), I could add Netflix/Youtube for when my wife forces me to drive her to a store and I sit in the parking lot for 40 minutes waiting on her, etc.

My nearby Audio Express sells a dashkit for $600 that I'm not sure is necessary, but I don't really know much about car audio.
I also might want to change out my speakers / subwoofer later, so if I should prepare by pre-installing anything that would be nice to know too.
Well.....you are comparing a $1,200+ radio with a $600 dash kit to a $250(M500 with DHL shipping) radio that doesn't need a dash kit.....so that is apples to watermelons. If you have the money to pay for a $1,200 radio, then it might be good to have it installed.

The M500 and M600 just fit right into the same spot. I have the M400....that has wireless carplay....and once we all figured out all the issues...I have had no issues other than doing a reset about once a month....takes like 30 seconds.

My M400 plays Youtube.....haven't tried NetFlix......thought I might use that someday, but that day has never come.....I have a hacked FireHD tablet for that purpose.

So I am not sure that is worth 7x the price.....but if you got the cash...go for it.
Sponsored

naldy

First Name
mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Hatchback
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Hi everyone!

I'm getting sick of my stock head unit in my car due to how bad it can lag sometimes (I believe this is mostly through Android Auto, admittedly). Additionally I've been having some pretty annoying errors lately.
I'm also kind of interested in wireless Android Auto.

I've been looking into possible head units, and I see a lot of people mentioning Navifly, but I'm also reading tons of issues with navifly and I usually try to steer away from off-brand chinese parts for my car.

I'm currently looking at the Pioneer DMH-WT8600NEX.
It claims it retains access to stock features such as TPMS, etc. Would anyone else know whether or not I could still update my oil change alerts through this, door lock settings, if there'd be any issues my audio (currently running stock speakers)? Rear / Side camera's. Anything else I didn't mention but are handled by the current headunit.

Also this Head Unit is 10.1", so I'm not actually sure it'll fit my car.

I drive a 2018 Honda Civic si.

Thanks in advance for any advice guys!

It's either this, or I'm tempted to take my current unit apart and see about manually adding some ram to it.

Ideally if I can add this pioneer unit to my car, I should be able to add an app for my garage door (my remote really sucks at opening my garage door from inside the car for some reason), I could add Netflix/Youtube for when my wife forces me to drive her to a store and I sit in the parking lot for 40 minutes waiting on her, etc.

My nearby Audio Express sells a dashkit for $600 that I'm not sure is necessary, but I don't really know much about car audio.
I also might want to change out my speakers / subwoofer later, so if I should prepare by pre-installing anything that would be nice to know too.
I actually had the cheaper/smaller version of that head unit (2600NEX). It was great tbh, but I personally didn’t like the look of using a Metra mounting kit. I ended up going with a Navifly mainly due to it looking OEM+

As for sound and functionality, it was great. Only problem I had was getting my steering wheel controls to work properly. programming the steering wheel adapter that I got from crutchfield was very annoying (at least for me) compared to the Navifly being completely plug n play.

On the topic of mounting though, my 2600 fit the Metra mounting kit perfectly. the one you’re looking at is Single Din also which makes me think that you may have a hard time finding a mounting kit? But don’t quote me on that

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si
Country flag
Thanks for the responses guys, I really wish I could see someone who had already put it into their civic with the same stock stereo.
The item claims it retains stock features such as TPMS, though I would have no idea what I'm doing installing it.

My brother says you can find cheaper dash kits than $600, so I might not need to spend that much (Honestly don't know), but if I have to spend a little extra then its fine. No big deal, I'll just spend some of my crypto.

naldy

First Name
mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Hatchback
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Thanks for the responses guys, I really wish I could see someone who had already put it into their civic with the same stock stereo.
The item claims it retains stock features such as TPMS, though I would have no idea what I'm doing installing it.

My brother says you can find cheaper dash kits than $600, so I might not need to spend that much (Honestly don't know), but if I have to spend a little extra then its fine. No big deal, I'll just spend some of my crypto.
Yeah, $900 is pretty steep, I personally wouldn’t go above $500. If you end up going with a non-android unit, I’d recommend looking at crutchfield, they’ll prewire everything for you so it’s mostly plug n play. Plus they have a pretty good return policy if you don’t like it/it doesn’t fit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si
Country flag
Yeah, $900 is pretty steep, I personally wouldn’t go above $500. If you end up going with a non-android unit, I’d recommend looking at crutchfield, they’ll prewire everything for you so it’s mostly plug n play. Plus they have a pretty good return policy if you don’t like it/it doesn’t fit
Crutchfield's website says they don't do the 2018 Civic si :(

HaxForNox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hatchback sport
Country flag
Welp I’m back with more issues with the m500
Backup camera has stopped working and now taking the car OUT of reverse flashes a black screen, while putting the car in reverse does nothing, and I’ve tried everything but the steering wheel controls will work intermittently.

Last edited:

caldersm44

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport - 6 Speed
Country flag
Backup camera has stopped working and now taking the car OUT of reverse flashes a black screen, while putting the car in reverse does nothing, and I’ve tried everything but the steering wheel controls will work intermittently.

Sounds like an issue with the canbus module....since u have an automatic.

Tobiman

First Name
Oluwatobi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag

I had a similar issue. It turns out my wiring for the rear camera came loose on the head unit side (ACC). I redid it and my camera works again. Soldering or adding quick splice clips will be a future-proof step to prevent it from happening again.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si
Country flag
In trying to replace my 2018 Honda Civic si's stereo, should I be looking for single din or double din head units?
Crutchfield said double din should work, however the pictures they used were also a much smaller stereo than mine.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si
Country flag
Teyes CC3.
Since you're in a civic and your interior looks just like mine (as far as I can tell)
What year, and how well does this stereo work with all the default controls? Camera, built in USB port to use Android Auto (unless it does wireless android auto?)
Can you reset oil sensor, TPMS, Assuming you're on stock speakers, how's the sound? Bass sound good? Can you control it all through an equalizer?

I know door locks are controlled through the stock stereo too, though I don't know that I actually need access to change anything regarding those.
Are the camera's instant? No issues with lag/etc?

Sorry for all the questions!

Tobiman

First Name
Oluwatobi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
Since you're in a civic and your interior looks just like mine (as far as I can tell)
What year, and how well does this stereo work with all the default controls? Camera, built in USB port to use Android Auto (unless it does wireless android auto?)
Can you reset oil sensor, TPMS, Assuming you're on stock speakers, how's the sound? Bass sound good? Can you control it all through an equalizer?

I know door locks are controlled through the stock stereo too, though I don't know that I actually need access to change anything regarding those.
Are the camera's instant? No issues with lag/etc?

Sorry for all the questions!
The unit comes with a Canbus, so most functions are still accessible, but you lose TPMS calibration. The sensors including Honda sensing still work and will display warnings on the dash, but you can't calibrate or reset those sensors from the aftermarket head unit like you can with the stock unit. I use the Autel ap200 OBD2 to perform those functions and more. Teyes sells an OBD2 unit as well and they have a cool-looking app baked into the software for you to monitor and calibrate those sensors. Door functions are retained completely. I walk away from my car and it locks the doors. Teyes also offers their own TPMS sensors that you can install and monitor with their head unit.

As for sound, the DSP and amp(TDA 7851) are superior to those on the eight-speaker head unit. After installing the CC3, I felt the shortcomings of the stock speakers, but overall impressions are better than stock. The sound feels cleaner to me till I crank up the volume to 20 and over. It also depends on the quality of the song. I mostly use youtube music. The bass rattles the doors, which is another point in the car that needs some work. Other audio features include pre-outs for a 5.1 system, coaxial and SPDIF output, 27 level EQ, and sound filtering. I'll link a video that goes a bit in-depth on the audio functions.

Teyes CC3 audio functions

The stock camera, which is super low res, becomes evident once you install the Teyes head unit, which runs at 720p. Luckily, you get a free 1080p rear camera, but setting that up requires some wiring. Nothing too crazy, tbh. The camera that came in the box works fine and has crazy low light visibility, but mine is sometimes blurry. This issue might have been my own doing, as it appears this was a rare problem when I checked the forums for what could be the cause. If you want, Teyes sells a $30 Sony camera upgrade which offers a wider FOV and even better low light visibility than the free camera, which is already an incredible leap over the stock camera.

The box came with cables that allow you to retain your factory USB ports. Android Auto/Apple Carplay work just fine but no wireless android auto. With that said, the stock software is so good, I don't use any of them.

Last edited: