9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation)

KYRGYZ

Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX, 2018 Nissan Rogue Sport, 2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
hmmm, I didn't change that, it should just indeed work out of the box since you just connecting RCA cable, don't think it has anything to do with canbus... I might be wrong though.. I'll check tomorrow, I took my car to stealership for timing chain cover leak fix...

Advertisement

naldy

First Name
mick
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Found the password on YouTube: 123456. This one works for me

huh, weird lol. and set it to CRV

and yeah man, i was considering changing out my speakers too but changing out the head unit was a world of difference. mess with the separate bass amplification settings too

Last edited:

caldersm44

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic Sport - 6 Speed
Country flag
try 8806. and the reverse camera should work out of the box, you might have hooked it up wrong like i did at first but i’m not sure . there should be a cable coming from the canbus i think, and you plug the rear cam
My plug for the rear camera plugs into the radio. But the screen doesn’t even change in reverse...like it doesn’t know I went into reverse. What is your model setup as?

naldy

First Name
mick
Reaction score
Car(s)
Country flag
My plug for the rear camera plugs into the radio. But the screen doesn’t even change in reverse...like it doesn’t know I went into reverse. What is your model setup as?
i get that, but where are you plugging the other end of that cable to?

and i believe the CRV and Civic share the same canbus protocol, regardless it was set up as CRV on my Joying as well as the Navifly I have rn

Also idk if anyone else is having this issue; i’m away on a business trip and my girlfriend has been driving the car. apparently every once in a while when reversing, the rear cam will randomly switch off and go back to the apple carplay screen, and she’ll have to put the car in drive and then back in reverse for the camera to pop back up. anyone know why?

xoextreme

Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Civic LX
Country flag
Hey guys brand new to this. I have a 2020 LX civic and was wanting to do this. There's a lot of pages to go through in this thread so I'm hoping that someone can reply and help. What should I be looking for, for my 2020 civic? I don't know what radio to buy to have the android auto, GPS and everything. I watched the video on how to put it in on the 2017 model and it seems easy enough. I'm looking on ebay and I'm seeing units that are around $175, but it seems like most are saying they're spending more than that so I'm not sure I'm looking at the right things. Seems like some of the units are plug and play too so that would be something I'm looking for.

E: Was watching another video and the person didn't have functionality of his steering wheel buttons, is that common, can it be fixed if I were to install one of these radios?

Last edited:

naldy

First Name
mick
Reaction score
Car(s)
Country flag
Hey guys brand new to this. I have a 2020 LX civic and was wanting to do this. There's a lot of pages to go through in this thread so I'm hoping that someone can reply and help. What should I be looking for, for my 2020 civic? I don't know what radio to buy to have the android auto, GPS and everything. I watched the video on how to put it in on the 2017 model and it seems easy enough. I'm looking on ebay and I'm seeing units that are around $175, but it seems like most are saying they're spending more than that so I'm not sure I'm looking at the right things. Seems like some of the units are plug and play too so that would be something I'm looking for.

E: Was watching another video and the person didn't have functionality of his steering wheel buttons, is that common, can it be fixed if I were to install one of these radios?
So you have a number of options, generally speaking you want a unit with 4gb ram/64gb internal. and those will generally have nicer processors than the cheaper $100-200 models

as for brands, phoenix and gtacarkits have been selling them in the states for a while but they generally mark up their units quite a bit. if you go with aliexpress you’ll be able to get the same unit 100-200 cheaper.

right now your best bet is probably the navifly M400, which a good number of users here have had good luck with and it’s reasonably priced. but it runs android 8.1 which is a little outdated. if you wanna go top of the line, get the navifly PX6 which runs android 10. i’m troubleshooting some of the small quirks on that unit right now though. you’ll get steering wheel controls on pretty much all of the current gen models of these android units

edit: if you go with any unit on ali, use "INRCDGYS" to get $24 in coupons. it’s my personal referral code

xoextreme

Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Civic LX
Country flag
So you have a number of options, generally speaking you want a unit with 4gb ram/64gb internal. and those will generally have nicer processors than the cheaper $100-200 models

as for brands, phoenix and gtacarkits have been selling them in the states for a while but they generally mark up their units quite a bit. if you go with aliexpress you’ll be able to get the same unit 100-200 cheaper.

right now your best bet is probably the navifly M400, which a good number of users here have had good luck with and it’s reasonably priced. but it runs android 8.1 which is a little outdated. if you wanna go top of the line, get the navifly PX6 which runs android 10. i’m troubleshooting some of the small quirks on that unit right now though. you’ll get steering wheel controls on pretty much all of the current gen models of these android units

edit: if you go with any unit on ali, use "INRCDGYS" to get $24 in coupons. it’s my personal referral code
Would I need to get anything to have android auto working with the m400? or even the PX6? And both would have the steering wheel buttons working too? And they both support GPS?

naldy

First Name
mick
Reaction score
Car(s)
Country flag
Would I need to get anything to have android auto working with the m400? or even the PX6? And both would have the steering wheel buttons working too? And they both support GPS?
nope, on the M400 and PX6 AA is built in so you don’t need a dongle or anything. and yup, steering wheel controls and gps will both work. although i don’t really use gps, only apple carplay

xoextreme

Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Civic LX
Country flag
nope, on the M400 and PX6 AA is built in so you don’t need a dongle or anything. and yup, steering wheel controls and gps will both work. although i don’t really use gps, only apple carplay
I might just do the M400 the price is too good and with your discount code even better

civic model x

Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Been wanting to replace the terrible stereo in my sport. After reading through almost the entire post. I think these last several pages show the navifly as best bang for your buck. Now I am torn between the m400 and px6. Naldy mentioned issues with car play and backup cam. Let us know if you find out the issue. I might stick with the m400 with older software if it is not as buggy as the px6 Android 10. I always like a faster unit and hdmi. Also thank you to everyone for contributing information on these units.

naldy

First Name
mick
Reaction score
Car(s)
Country flag
Been wanting to replace the terrible stereo in my sport. After reading through almost the entire post. I think these last several pages show the navifly as best bang for your buck. Now I am torn between the m400 and px6. Naldy mentioned issues with car play and backup cam. Let us know if you find out the issue. I might stick with the m400 with older software if it is not as buggy as the px6 Android 10. I always like a faster unit and hdmi. Also thank you to everyone for contributing information on these units.
i will say though all of these units have their own problems. carplay works great on my px6. rn it’s just mainly the weird rear cam issue which i’m gonna try to fix over the weekend

bay_hatch

Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I just replaced the speakers in my 20 LX hatch with Alpine S-65C components in the front (added the sail panel from the EX trim), and Polk DB 652s in the rear. The sound has improved drastically, but the treble is almost piercing, even when it's turned down low. And the speakers have almost no bass when it's maxed out. The stock DSP is a disgrace to music. I want to office space the stock head unit after I replace it. Thanks to @Pitfighter for being the guinea pig with the Navifly, I just ordered it today, stoked to get some decent sounding music in my car finally. Will update with pics after the install.
How did the install go? I have a 2020 sport with the 7 inch touch screen and I also replaced my front speakers with Alpine S-65C speakers and was a little disappointed with the lack of bass coming from them. I just added a powered subwoofer and it greatly improved but I'm thinking of getting the android unit for the built in DSP.

caldersm44

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic Sport - 6 Speed
Country flag

Naldy....my M400 says Android 10 when it boots. Is it not on 10..? In the about device it says Android Version 10. Processor type is Octa=sp9853i. System version V11.1.2_20200722.

I still don't have my rear camera working when going into reverse....but am narrowing it down....should have it working soon. In the meantime...I hooked it up to Aux and added an icon to show the cam when press it.....so that is fine for now. Did you find a way to stop the AC display from popping up..? Still working on that. Sound is INCREDIBLY better than my 5" Honda Sport Manual radio....you can actually hear the back speakers...is amazing. Wish I knew about the code earlier....would have bought the PX6.

On a side note....some people that were having issue with the reverse cam popping in and out....they tried 3 different fixes.
1st.... is easy...they grounded the metal back of the radio to the car metal with a nice size wire....to eliminate any ground loop issues.
2nd...they mounted a small fan on the heatsink to blow air over it.
3rd...this one not so easy....they pulled the back off and found that the processor has very little thermal compound...and so they cleaned it and put a more thorough coating on it....not recommending that.

Still am really happy about the upgrade....would definitely do it again. And have decided to upgrade the speakers....but because I have them here and will do it next weekend.

naldy

First Name
mick
Reaction score
Car(s)
Country flag
Naldy....my M400 says Android 10 when it boots. Is it not on 10..? In the about device it says Android Version 10. Processor type is Octa=sp9853i. System version V11.1.2_20200722.

I still don't have my rear camera working when going into reverse....but am narrowing it down....should have it working soon. In the meantime...I hooked it up to Aux and added an icon to show the cam when press it.....so that is fine for now. Did you find a way to stop the AC display from popping up..? Still working on that. Sound is INCREDIBLY better than my 5" Honda Sport Manual radio....you can actually hear the back speakers...is amazing. Wish I knew about the code earlier....would have bought the PX6.

On a side note....some people that were having issue with the reverse cam popping in and out....they tried 3 different fixes.
1st.... is easy...they grounded the metal back of the radio to the car metal with a nice size wire....to eliminate any ground loop issues.
2nd...they mounted a small fan on the heatsink to blow air over it.
3rd...this one not so easy....they pulled the back off and found that the processor has very little thermal compound...and so they cleaned it and put a more thorough coating on it....not recommending that.

Still am really happy about the upgrade....would definitely do it again. And have decided to upgrade the speakers....but because I have them here and will do it next weekend.
tbh i’m not sure, check your system info, it should tell you what version of android you’re running. it may just be that the Joying was 8.1 and the navifly units have all been updated.

as for the ac pop up, i think i made a post about it a little while ago in here. it’s in the factory settings somewhere

Advertisement

Advertisement