9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation)

C10MaX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Hey guys, I just installed my 9” dasaita px6 head unit yesterday and it came out real nice. (2016 Civic LX) I cant get wireless Apple CarPlay to come up though. The website said this model should have wireless carplay available. Anyone run into this? How do you get it to work??
Sponsored

arbies

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Blue Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
Hey guys, I just installed my 9” dasaita px6 head unit yesterday and it came out real nice. (2016 Civic LX) I cant get wireless Apple CarPlay to come up though. The website said this model should have wireless carplay available. Anyone run into this? How do you get it to work??
@C10MaX I don't normally use wireless Carplay on the PX6, but when I tested it out, I think I had to set it up in the Zinc app, or some app that started with a "Z". The app was pre-installed on the PX6. Hopefully that helps.

C10MaX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
How did you get wireless CarPlay to work? I have same unit and it won’t connect..

Just received the new version of this headunit 4GB RAM + 64GB Storage with built in WIRELESS CarPlay.
OzPi1I5.png

My experience was pretty good. Mostly worked out the box in the first try. I have a 2016 EX sedan trim

Here's what worked:
  • SWC, all buttons were mapped and configured. Software already had Honda Crider CANBUS profile enabled. CANBUS wires actually lined up in the harness
  • Wireless CarPlay functions as expected. Even better than the USB wireless carplay adapter for our stock head unit. VSS was detected properly
  • Rearview camera displayed normally. It just didn't have the different angles and lines like factory head unit
  • Climate control functions as expected
  • GPS was accurate
Here's what didn't work (but a little tweaking in software fixed it all)
  • LaneWatch button did nothing, nor did right hand turn
  • AM/FM radio was straight distorted garbage
  • Rearview camera angles
What I did to fix those 3 things
LaneWatch Went into Settings > Car > Factory Settings. 126 is passcode. Other > Customer Version > Version 2. Then head over to the CANBUS settings and set Right Hand Camera to normal.
This enabled right signal LaneWatch and hold to view function on the LaneWatch button
AM/FM Dasaita actually includes TWO extra harness to bypass the factory radio module as the "Amplified" harness that comes out of the radio is not meant to be plugged into my EX factory harness. Access the factory radio module in the rear passenger trim and disconnect all cables and use the provided harness with the green end to bypass the module. Then with the other standalone antenna adapter connects to the factory antenna wire behind the radio then into the radio. HD Radio is now received loud and clear with stations and song name shown
Rearview Camera I forgot where I went to, but i'm pretty sure its under car settings, you can enable factory guide lines and camera angles and that fixes these issues

Overall
I'm pretty shocked that EVERYTHING worked after a couple of tweaks and super happy that the head unit is finally not the Honda doo-doo. Since the built in amps in this Dasaita unit is more powerful and has a different sound EQ than the Honda factory ones, I have to retune my DSP with an RTA to get the levels I want back. I've done a complete audio overhaul which you can find in my post history

Now I've read every post in this 38 page thread and was put off by people saying certain things not working, but I just have to say... RTFM. Everything is provided to you by the manufacturer. They did a great job cooking up this custom Android build to pretty much replace the factory headunit to be as compatible as it can be. When things don't work out of the box, you can pretty much find a solution in the box if you have a basic knowledge of Car audio installations.

If anyone has further questions, feel free to PM me and find me in the Civic owners' discord.

Edit:
Tried to perform a manual update as instructed in the manual but it seems like I have a newer build number than what the manual has stated. It's probably because this is an updated hardware that includes wireless CarPlay. The build number (which is also a date stamp) is 2019-08-28
KdlVncF.png

arbies

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How did you get wireless CarPlay to work? I have same unit and it won’t connect..
I've gotten wireless carplay to connect a few times now, but it seems to be inconsistent when it wants to connect. I just factory reset the Dasaita PX6 to start over fresh, and I can't even get it to connect via wireless carplay now. Wired carplay works. I'll keep messing around with it over the next few days. This is my first time using wireless carplay.

arbies

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I take back what I said. Wireless carplay has been working flawlessly for me since yesterday. I'm not sure why it wasn't working before. As soon as I turn on the car, it automatically launches Zlink, and then a few seconds later shows "Connecting", then a few seconds later carplay is up and running.

C10MaX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Got it! Where can I download the zlink app?

I take back what I said. Wireless carplay has been working flawlessly for me since yesterday. I'm not sure why it wasn't working before. As soon as I turn on the car, it automatically launches Zlink, and then a few seconds later shows "Connecting", then a few seconds later carplay is up and running.

arbies

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Got it! Where can I download the zlink app?
Zlink was pre-installed on my Dasaita PX6 head unit. Also, it may be a coincidence, but if the last thing I use before turning off the car is the Zlink app (with wireless Carplay), then the next time I turn on the car, Zlink automatically launches and wireless Carplay connects fine. However, yesterday I was playing around with the FM radio app last before I turned off the car. The next time I turned on the car, Zlink did not auto-launch, and when I manually launched Zlink, it wouldn't connect to wireless Carplay.

Then I turned off the car (while Zlink was open), turned it back on, it auto-launched Zlink and wireless Carplay connected fine.

Gmgunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan
Country flag

mrturtle8088

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Has anyone bought this version off of amazon? My concern is the oil life being gone. I don’t care abt not seeing that, I’ve not had my 2017 LX sedan long enough to get an oil change yet and saw that you have to reset the maintenance reminder from the oil life on the tachometer. Would I still be able to reset the reminder? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08131TFD...olid=3RNZDIWX58AL8&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
upload_2020-1-22_22-22-33.jpeg
http
It’s basically the same that Phoenix automotive sells. I ordered mine from Phoenix and it came in a dasaita box. In my opinion i love thw headunit much better than the stock touchscreen.

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic LX, 18 Model X 100D
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Can someone please post the list of all GOOD head units that work without a single issue and truly plug and play?
Tried to get a kit off amazon for my nissan rogue, while it was big and shiny, it was terribly slow, maps never worked, wifi was cutting off, bluetooth never connected etc, it was horrible.

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag

raulnor516

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
What functionality have you gained and lost from this? Is the install relatively simple? I've got the color audio (2019 Sport hatchback model) and would really like to have android auto.

arbies

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've had this Dasaita PX6 installed for about two weeks (the one with built-in Android Auto/Carplay):
https://amzn.to/2GkZUyC

I really wanted to like it, but I'm going to return it and go back to the stock head unit. My goal is to use the head unit without having to take my phone out of my pocket... either using native Android apps w/hotspot or wireless Carplay. Neither have worked reliably for me. Here are the pros and cons:

PROS:
  1. Big screen... this was one of the primary reasons why I bought it. There are, however, cons about the screen that I get into below.
  2. The sound quality is improved. Being able to adjust the EQ allows you to better tune the sound quality, and it is much better than the stock head unit. I was surprised how much additional bass I could squeeze out of the speakers (not like having a subwoofer in the car, but still, a decent improvement).
  3. Running native Android apps on the head unit is pretty sweet. I bought a hotspot for the car (which I'll be returning), so I could run Waze, Pandora and other apps on it. The apps launch quickly and run fairly well. There is also a con to the way that some of the native apps behave on this head unit, however.
  4. Phone calls sound great on both ends. I'm using the included external mic.
  5. When you enable sleep mode on this head unit (which is not the default, if I remember correctly), it boots up very quickly when you turn on the car.
CONS:
  1. The screen doesn't seem as bright or as high resolution as the stock head unit screen. The biggest issue with the screen is it's extremely difficult to see it when you're wearing sunglasses unless you move your head to the right and face the screen straight on. And when you do move over to see the screen while wearing sunglasses, you can see deformities in the screen... it's hard to describe, but the screen looks uneven. I'm assuming this has something to do with having polarized sunglasses. It's so bad that I try not to wear sunglasses, even when it's sunny.
  2. Another con of the screen is the touch sensitivity, specifically when using the keyboard. I swear, every single time I try to type something on the keyboard, it either misinterprets a short press as a long press or misses my touch completely. Using the keyboard on this head unit really tests your patience. I haven't tried a third-party keyboard, but that may help. Otherwise, swiping around on the screen and touching the screen in apps usually works ok.
  3. Regarding the con about native Android apps on this head unit... most of the services that I use are with Google, including my Contacts. If you install Google Contacts on this head unit, it won't pull down your contacts. If you go to Android's Settings -> Accounts -> your Google account -> Contacts does not appear here, even after installing Google Contacts. On xdadevelopers site, I think there is a workaround to this, but I haven't tried it. The pre-installed phone app on this head unit is lacking. I was able to pair my phone with the head unit via bluetooth and sync contacts into the phone app, but the steps to call one of your contacts is not intuitive. Using native Android apps, I haven't found a way to make hands free calls. If you hit the voice button on the steering wheel to mute, and say "Hey, Google" to invoke Google Assistant, and then say "Call John Smith", it will not launch the built-in phone app. It doesn't do anything. I think there is also a lengthy workaround to this on xdadevelopers, but I haven't spent the energy to try it. Another app issue... I can't login to my Waze account. I have no issues logging into Waze on any other device I've used in the past, but this just refuses to do so.
  4. The built-in wireless Apple Carplay usually connects, and sometimes doesn't. When it doesn't, it's a pain to troubleshoot to get it connected again. This relies on a pre-installed Zlink app to use Android Auto & Apple Carplay. Every once in a while, that app would not auto-launch when I turned on the car, and sometimes when it did, it wouldn't connect to wireless Carplay on my phone. Most of the times, however, it did work.
  5. Speaking of Carplay, I haven't found a way to map the voice button on the steering to invoke Siri. Same with Android Auto. The voice button on the steering wheel just does a mute/unmute. When the audio is muted, they want you to say "Hey, Siri" or "Hey, Google" to invoke those assistants. I confirmed with support that there's no way to override this.
  6. GPS sometimes has an issue locking on. I have the GPS module routed to the windshield. Most of the time, GPS works great, but the past two days when I left work, Waze couldn't lock on to GPS until about 3 minutes later.
  7. The side lanewatch camera works, however, it has its quirks: 1) The lanewatch button on the turn signal stalk behaves differently... you have to hold down that button to view the camera; as soon as you let go, it stops the video. 2) There is a delay to show the video. It's not a huge delay, but it's noticeable. In fact, if you tap (but not engage) the turn signal stalk to do the quick 3-turn-signal-blinks, it temporarily shows a black screen and no video because of the delay. 3) When your right turn signal is on (not a tap of the stalk, but engaged), and it's showing the lanewatch video, you cannot disable the video by pressing the lanewatch button like you can with the stock head unit.
  8. Climate control has a weird quirk: periodically, the climate control info will pop up at the bottom of the screen (and then disappear 1 or 2 seconds later), even when I'm not adjusting any settings. I think there's a bug where if it reaches the set temp, then it will show the climate control info... or something like that. Haven't quite figure out why it randomly pops up.