9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation)

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
  • Lack of USB/AUX plugin for iphones. If you aren't a fan of streaming music using bluetooth or an external HD, and prefer to plug your phone into the usb to play music directly, it doesn't seem to be an option. There may be an app in the Play Store that can read an iphone over USB to play music though. I would imagine that an android phone would be more compatible however. This isn't an issue for me since I am using an external HD as my media center.
The eBay listing says it has AUX inputs, were those part of the wiring harness at all? It looks like there were a lot of RCA plugs, none of those were for audio input into the head unit?
Sponsored

OP
OP
DrToothache

DrToothache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So with this head unit, can I not play my iPhone music through using the USB input that is by your knees in the little cubby area?
Check out my recent edit to my post. In order to use iPhones with the USB input you have to purchase a dongle so that the Android headunit can recognize it. Super easy to install and actually enables the full version of CarPlay on the device. It's only $60 for the dongle.

The eBay listing says it has AUX inputs, were those part of the wiring harness at all? It looks like there were a lot of RCA plugs, none of those were for audio input into the head unit?
I am sorry I should've been more thorough. Yes it does seem possible to use an AUX via 3.5mm port. You would need an RCA to 3.5mm cable like this.

simon_lefisch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Check out my recent edit to my post. In order to use iPhones with the USB input you have to purchase a dongle so that the Android headunit can recognize it. Super easy to install and actually enables the full version of CarPlay on the device. It's only $60 for the dongle.
I have the EX-T model but would mainly want to use this so I have Nav and dont have to use my phone. Does this have a native Nav app that doesnt not need data?

OP
OP
DrToothache

DrToothache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the EX-T model but would mainly want to use this so I have Nav and dont have to use my phone. Does this have a native Nav app that doesnt not need data?
Yes the unit comes with a GPS antenna that you can mount, but I just keep mine in the glove box and it works great. Comes with an app called iGO that doesn't require data. There are also quite a few navigation apps on the play store that do not require data.

simon_lefisch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Yes the unit comes with a GPS antenna that you can mount, but I just keep mine in the glove box and it works great. Comes with an app called iGO that doesn't require data. There are also quite a few navigation apps on the play store that do not require data.
I believe my trim already has a GPS antenna, as I can run Waze on my HU directly without having to tether. The downside is that Waze only has enough map info for the surrounding area. I'm looking at getting a HU that already has GPS integrated.

OP
OP
DrToothache

DrToothache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I believe my trim already has a GPS antenna, as I can run Waze on my HU directly without having to tether. The downside is that Waze only has enough map info for the surrounding area. I'm looking at getting a HU that already has GPS integrated.
It sounds like what you are looking for is a head unit with its own GPS app (including all map data) saved on it so that it only relies on the GPS antenna for navigation. With a HU that runs a full version of android this isn't really an issue, as you can download any of the free apps on the store that have all of the map data as part of their download. This is essentially the same thing as a HU with GPS integration since they only require the GPS antenna after install.

Waze and Google Maps are different. They use data, with the only exception being that you can download a selected part of the map to use offline. To use Google Maps or Waze on any HU, you would have to tether outside of that downloaded area.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
It sounds like what you are looking for is a head unit with its own GPS app (including all map data) saved on it so that it only relies on the GPS antenna for navigation. With a HU that runs a full version of android this isn't really an issue, as you can download any of the free apps on the store that have all of the map data as part of their download. This is essentially the same thing as a HU with GPS integration since they only require the GPS antenna after install.

Waze and Google Maps are different. They use data, with the only exception being that you can download a selected part of the map to use offline. To use Google Maps or Waze on any HU, you would have to tether outside of that downloaded area.
But isn't RAM an issue? This unit only has 1GB RAM.

OP
OP
DrToothache

DrToothache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i got the Phoenix Android newest model, Octa-Core, 4GB RAM, 32GB Memory runs great so far.
Nice! I was considering that model before I purchased this one. Would you mind uploading a photo of the unit? I would like to see how it looks now. I know that the earlier models covered more of the air vents and hazard button, which is why I ultimately went with the model that I have now.

But isn't RAM an issue? This unit only has 1GB RAM.
I was concerned about the 1GB of RAM initially however it hasn't been an issue so far. The HU is pretty snappy. I am sure that the 4GB will help with any intensive apps though. If you watch the video I posted, there is a few seconds of delay when initially opening google maps or youtube.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I was concerned about the 1GB of RAM initially however it hasn't been an issue so far. The HU is pretty snappy. I am sure that the 4GB will help with any intensive apps though. If you watch the video I posted, there is a few seconds of delay when initially opening google maps or youtube.
I wasn't referring to the performance. I was referring to having enough memory to download maps from any app that is not already included in the HU.

OP
OP
DrToothache

DrToothache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wasn't referring to the performance. I was referring to having enough memory to download maps from any app that is not already included in the HU.
The maps aren't stored on the 1GB of RAM. That is set aside for working memory. They are stored on the 16GB of ROM/storage that comes with the unit. Or on an external drive.

OP
OP
DrToothache

DrToothache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I blocked the hazard and ac vents just a little bit. Not a big deal
Looks great. Thanks for sharing.

The one feature I really like about that model is the ability to keep it in sleep mode long term.

panda_fk7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP FK7
Country flag
Gps antenna, inside under the cover above speedometer, just like the oem gps antenna location ... just pop the cover, be careful, dont do it if you uncomfortable doing trims removal

Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) EED9E28C-3910-4C23-87D5-1A54E7F005BA
Sponsored