Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ouchies

This is dedicated to those mishaps from daily use or those caused by random malicious a-holes.

I was so happy when I drove my Si home from the lot. It was to be my new road warrior. It's my first ever brand spanking new car. My four door, four wheeled baby. I had a happy first month. Then rocks started to do their thing to the paint. I got a little star in my windshield. In South Carolina, windshields are free with full coverage so that was taken care of. No biggie. l got vinyl for my lights and all was good...

Then, a jealous, spiteful, piece of... Well... this happened
Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20180622_081126

I saw the Birch in the work parking lot when I pulled in next to her and her raggedy ass nineties Chevy Malibu. I saw her a couple days later and she just smirked. I couldn't prove it was her, but I know. It'll catch up to her and her sorry miserable life. I'm not bitter at all...

Painless dent removal for $170. All that's left is a little bit on the top of where it was and some orange peel if you look really really closely.
Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si 15723732161905191563434607158180

Not bad really.

Then there's the truck who ran me into a bridge cause he was swerving around. I had to get two new tires and rashed up a rim nicely all the way around. This is the first two months of owning this car mind you. My wife said it's because I baby it so much...

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20190319_100740

Holy crap I was mad. I felt like the world was just trying to hurt my feelings. I broke out the Dremel for this. The rash on the bottom was super deep and gnarly. Masked it and went to grinding.

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20190323_135620

After some progress...

I eventually finished. I was tired though. I didn't even do the other one. After going a year with out getting anything, street parking decided to humble me. I decided to fix em both :rolleyes:

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20191028_142657

Got some supplies

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20191028_143118

Masked up

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20191028_150757

Good enough

As for all the blemishes up front. I used some Dr. Colorchip. It isn't a complete fill like the videos look. Full on repair will get that, but, it at least covered any bare spots and hopefully will protect them

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20191029_144625

Little chips. Don't even notice em anymore

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20191029_144606

Bigger chips. Well... They're filled in lololol

In all, as things have progressed with damage, I'm pretty fortunate. It's all been fairly superficial. I haven't bent frame or rim. It's all been touched up and not really noticeable without scrutiny. The last rash was not heartbreaking really. More of a, "Really... Again??"

Hopefully there won't be more to add to this posting. More to come in the journal!

Last edited:
OP
OP
86salmon

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Big Timing...

So I've shown a bit of my cosmetic and practical this and that. Here are some performance and all in all bigger ticket addons

First came the Ktuner. I got a used one from a forum member via eBay at a very fair price, and ran with Ktuner's 19/23. I then went to a user made, linear feeling, torque limiting map. It was nice, but neither did as much as I had hoped. I bit the bullet and went with the TSP stage 1... My Si's driving experience has never been the same. The first time I did a highway merge on map 3 in sport was a glorious white knuckled affair hitting 100 before I looked down, drunk with glee. I don't use sport very often. Map 3 in it's base form is great for daily driving. I get 28-32mpgs in stop and go, 40-42mpgs in town cruising, and 38-42 on the highway with occasional passing pulls. The pages of posts shouting to the mountain tops praises for this tune are founded and I am full on drinking the Kool Aide with em

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20181112_121752

Next came the BMS intake. I have a thread concerning the intake I'm running with some testing results. I'm satisfied with it. Others have looked at my results and also bought one. As great as it has been for me and my Si, a couple others running non Si have had lean fuel trims. I'm not sure what is causing it, but it makes me hesitant to recommend it for others to use.

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20190709_082058

As much as the intake was helping overall with heatsoak, I shopped and shopped for an intercooler. I was really close to going with a Wagner model, but right before PRL released the billet end version of theirs, MAP was clearing out the old models. I pulled the trigger and got the full PRL kit including charge pipes. I wish I had amazing pics of the install, but I didn't have ramps at the time, or a comfort level in performing this install. A local performance shop did it for $180. It rarely soaks now, and usually runs at least a good 10 degrees cooler than intake temps. When it does heat up, it recovers while cruising from the intake bringing in fresh air.

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20191210_121343

I didn't stencil it, but if you look close, there's trace evidence...

Then next big performance inhancing addon was a bunch of shifter goodies!!! I enjoyed the stock Si shifter a great deal. Coming from my previous manual ownership experiences ( 87 Chevy Astro, 64 Galaxie w/3 on the tree, 01 Nissan Frontier), the Si gearbox was a D R E A M. My wife's Accord shifter feels very similar. Relatively quick and precise. After a money shift to 2nd at 65mph, I decided to look into tightening things up. I wasn't dissatisfied with my stock shifter at all, I just kept reading about glory of Acuity parts and decided to make like Shaggy and Scooby, and investigate this further.

I wanted to improve my experience, but I didn't want to break the bank. After reading a lot of back and forth when the Hybrid shifter prototype dropped, Eman or Ososik made a FB post in the middle of the debate, and I'm paraphrasing from memory here, that the Type R already has one of the best stock shifters there are, why would anyone mess with it...

Sooooo... I ended up with this slew of Honda and purple goodness

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20190930_110420

So tight. So smooth. I already had trim tools and I've taken dashes apart before so I felt very confident with this install. The videos by Pawinn are very thorough. The install took around an hour with only a small hiccup.

Protip: You will need a skinny skinny skinny flathead to depress the cable clips. Pawinn has an update video released fairly recently to better show how to do this

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20190930_130642

.......................................................................Skinny screwdriver ^

The Type R shifter with Acuity mods is as good as I need it to be. I didn't buy the cable bushings this time around, but I'm probably going to get them sometime in the nearish future

Most recently, I joined the aggressive fitment club... So much for subtlety :rofl:

Ordered a couple weeks ago and got delayed by Christmas. Worth the wait. I had been looking at something more flush, but liked the look of a little poke (just the tip). I went back and forth between the multi, a 5 spoke, and a split 5. This is for a daily, so I wanted to get something for appearance, but not necessarily another boat anchor.

Between TS-V, RF2, Kansei KNP, fifteen52 Tarmac, TS-5, and a multitude of split 7's (VMR, Eurotek, TSW, Rotiform, RF1, Raijin) I ended up with the RF1 18x9.5 +35 wrapped in 245/40 tires

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20200103_093155

Quick roll up to look before puttin em on

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20200103_112454

Initial impressions are that I like that I went with a little more meat and less stretch. It fills the wheel well a little better at stock height. No rub that I've felt or noticed as of yet. Total, they weigh in at 45.6 pounds each, so the weight I lost in wheel, I gained back a touch in tire, however, it's still a savings of over four pounds at each corner. I can't say for sure if it's made a huge difference performance wise, but this setup with the General G-max AS-05 rides smoother and quieter than the stock Goodyears or Contis

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20200103_122436

I like the idea of going a touch lower now :rolleyes:

We'll see what the future brings

more to come...

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Nice wheel/tire setup. Those General's are a great tire for the money. And yes, going slightly lower would be icing on the cake.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Looking good like the wheels. I’ve read great reviews on the G max AS 05 generals I’m getting them when I get my tax return

silverblip

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota TRD Off-Road MT
Country flag
Big Timing...

So I've shown a bit of my cosmetic and practical this and that. Here are some performance and all in all bigger ticket addons

First came the Ktuner. I got a used one from a forum member via eBay at a very fair price, and ran with Ktuner's 19/23. I then went to a user made, linear feeling, torque limiting map. It was nice, but neither did as much as I had hoped. I bit the bullet and went with the TSP stage 1... My Si's driving experience has never been the same. The first time I did a highway merge on map 3 in sport
was a glorious white knuckled affair hitting 100 before I looked down, drunk with glee. I don't use sport very often. Map 3 in it's base form is great for daily driving. I get 28-32mpgs in stop and go, 40-42mpgs in town cruising, and 38-42 on the highway with occasional passing pulls. The pages of posts shouting to the mountain tops praises for this tune are founded and I am full on drinking the Kool Aide with em

IMG_20181112_121752.jpg

Next came the BMS intake. I have a thread concerning the intake I'm running with some testing results. I'm satisfied with it. Others have looked at my results and also bought one. As great as it has been for me and my Si, a couple others running non Si have had lean fuel trims. I'm not sure what is causing it, but it makes me hesitant to recommend it for others to use.

IMG_20190709_082058.jpg

As much as the intake was helping overall with heatsoak, I shopped and shopped for an intercooler. I was really close to going with a Wagner model, but right before PRL released the billet end version of theirs, MAP was clearing out the old models. I pulled the trigger and got the full PRL kit including charge pipes. I wish I had amazing pics of the install, but I didn't have ramps at the time, or a comfort level in performing this install. A local performance shop did it for $180. It rarely soaks now, and usually runs at least a good 10 degrees cooler than intake temps. When it does heat up, it recovers while cruising from the intake bringing in fresh air.

IMG_20191210_121343.jpg

I didn't stencil it, but if you look close, there's trace evidence...

Then next big performance inhancing addon was a bunch of shifter goodies!!! I enjoyed the stock Si shifter a great deal. Coming from my previous manual ownership experiences ( 87 Chevy Astro, 64 Galaxie w/3 on the tree, 01 Nissan Frontier), the Si gearbox was a D R E A M. My wife's Accord shifter feels very similar. Relatively quick and precise. After a money shift to 2nd at 65mph, I decided to look into tightening things up. I wasn't dissatisfied with my stock shifter at all, I just kept reading about glory of Acuity parts and decided to make like Shaggy and Scooby, and investigate this further.

I wanted to improve my experience, but I didn't want to break the bank. After reading a lot of back and forth when the Hybrid shifter prototype dropped, Eman or Ososik made a FB post in the middle of the debate, and I'm paraphrasing from memory here, that the Type R already has one of the best stock shifters there are, why would anyone mess with it...

Sooooo... I ended up with this slew of Honda and purple goodness

IMG_20190930_110420.jpg

So tight. So smooth. I already had trim tools and I've taken dashes apart before so I felt very confident with this install. The videos by Pawinn are very thorough. The install took around an hour with only a small hiccup.

Protip: You will need a skinny skinny skinny flathead to depress the cable clips. Pawinn has an update video released fairly recently to better show how to do this

IMG_20190930_130642.jpg

.......................................................................Skinny screwdriver ^

The Type R shifter with Acuity mods is as good as I need it to be. I didn't buy the cable bushings this time around, but I'm probably going to get them sometime in the nearish future

Most recently, I joined the aggressive fitment club... So much for subtlety :rofl:

Ordered a couple weeks ago and got delayed by Christmas. Worth the wait. I had been looking at something more flush, but liked the look of a little poke (just the tip). I went back and forth between the multi, a 5 spoke, and a split 5. This is for a daily, so I wanted to get something for appearance, but not necessarily another boat anchor.

Between TS-V, RF2, Kansei KNP, fifteen52 Tarmac, TS-5, and a multitude of split 7's (VMR, Eurotek, TSW, Rotiform, RF1, Raijin) I ended up with the RF1 18x9.5 +35 wrapped in 245/40 tires

IMG_20200103_093155.jpg

Quick roll up to look before puttin em on

IMG_20200103_112454.jpg

Initial impressions are that I like that I went with a little more meat and less stretch. It fills the wheel well a little better at stock height. No rub that I've felt or noticed as of yet. Total, they weigh in at 45.6 pounds each, so the weight I lost in wheel, I gained back a touch in tire, however, it's still a savings of over four pounds at each corner. I can't say for sure if it's made a huge difference performance wise, but this setup with the General G-max AS-05 rides smoother and quieter than the stock Goodyears or Contis

IMG_20200103_122436.jpg

I like the idea of going a touch lower now :rolleyes:

We'll see what the future brings

more to come...

The TSP stage 1 has 3 maps? Would you explain the differences between those?

OP
OP
86salmon

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The TSP stage 1 has 3 maps? Would you explain the differences between those?

per tsp

Map 1: Factory boost levels and turbocharger response.
Map 2: 19psi normal, 21psi "Sport" mode, Improved Turbocharger Response II
Map 3: 19psi normal, custom boost level "Sport" mode, Improved Turbocharger Response II

Not sure where that's set, but I've hit 23-24

silverblip

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota TRD Off-Road MT
Country flag
per tsp

Map 1: Factory boost levels and turbocharger response.
Map 2: 19psi normal, 21psi "Sport" mode, Improved Turbocharger Response II
Map 3: 19psi normal, custom boost level "Sport" mode, Improved Turbocharger Response II

Not sure where that's set, but I've hit 23-24
Thanks for the info. Have you had any clutch slippage since running the KTuner with this tune?

OP
OP
86salmon

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
None yet :drive:

I rarely use sport mode, so that may afford me some protection

7Ghost_2Alienz_GenXX

First Name
Karo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20XIX Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I first got my Si, the first thing I felt that was glaringly missing was deep bass response. I loved everything about driving it compared to the Nissan Frontier I was coming from. The sound system and bothered me though. The mid and high bass were adequate and the tweeters were harsh, but what I really missed from a lot of my play selections was drop.

After a bit of lurking I found the tweeter replacement thread. I was off running from there. Further searches led me to various bass threads and the popular under seat solutions. I wanted to have something that would pack a bigger punch but still keep trunk space in tact. I first looked into the possibility of a free air install. The selection of subs that fit the specs and power requirements are limited. I found one that I was going to attempt using, but found the ins and outs of performing such an install were beyond my comfort level and tools available. I decided to bite the bullet and opt to pay for a custom fiberglass box. For my wants and desires, WORTH EVERY STINKING PENNY.

I wish I took pics during the install, but I have a couple post to give an idea of how things are. (Foams and foam tape get a little distorted after mounting :confused1:)

I started with a couple sets of inexpensive components that have been a great high sensitivity, bang for the buck solution, the Orion Cobalt series. It's a shame they've been discontinued for the shoddy Ztreet lineup of products. I installed them with some Stinger fast rings in the doors and DEI Boom mat in the trunk and rear deck. Shoring up rattles in the rear deck took foam tape and some neoprene rubber along the edges of the deck lid between both the glass and lid as well as the lid and the deck itself.

IMG_20191005_172859.jpg

IMG_20191005_173610.jpg

Honestly, and I've mentioned this in other people's threads about upgrading the Si system, I could have stopped here and been satisfied, but I had already purchased the amplifier and sub. I opted to let a shop finish the job with installing and tuning these parts.

IMG_20191005_074038.jpg

IMG_20181112_121835.jpg

Later on I got a bug and decided to add center channel upgrade. The soundstage felt a little forward to me, so I set to searching for what other members chose. I like JL fine, I just know that I didn't need to spend JL money on the center channel. I decided on another bang for the buck brand, American Bass for the speaker. I liked that it had a separate tweeter with a capacitor and that it was lower sensitivity. For the install, I used foam tape and got a baffle as well. Very VERY happy with the outcome. Much more balanced, and I had no idea how muddy the stock speaker was.

IMG_20191005_173201.jpg

IMG_20191005_173356.jpg

Things I would do differently?
I would have listened to the other threads and not even attempted the free air route. I would have taken pictures of the entire process. I'm bad about only taking a couple, then posting stuff that's only kinda helpful and not thoroughly super helpful

The space saver box has given great fidelity in a small space and kept my trunk usable. I might get a set of matching voices for the doors, deck, and center, but, that won't be until the current setup dies.

You mean like vinyl wrap on the headlight cover, or the type that slips over the bulb itself?

Yellow in the highs worked great on back woods roads. I nearly went yellow fogs to go with yellow high beams before I found the amber bulbs. I still might ;)
I got the same cobalt series 8” voice speakers in the doors of my Xrunner those things bang for a cheaply priced speakers ? I’m going to order them for the rear deck center speaker and all 4 door speakers. My only issue is what sizes are the tweeters, rear deck speakers left & right, and center speaker? Which tweeters did you use JL audio maybe what i get for the tweeters.

OP
OP
86salmon

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got the same cobalt series 8” voice speakers in the doors of my Xrunner those things bang for a cheaply priced speakers ? I’m going to order them for the rear deck center speaker and all 4 door speakers. My only issue is what sizes are the tweeters, rear deck speakers left & right, and center speaker? Which tweeters did you use JL audio maybe what i get for the tweeters.

Rear deck sub takes a lot of work to do an install that won't rattle. I'd recommend going for under seat or separate box.

I used the cobalt tweeters from my component set with some neoprene wrapped around them so that they fit the door sail snug

7Ghost_2Alienz_GenXX

First Name
Karo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20XIX Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Rear deck sub takes a lot of work to do an install that won't rattle. I'd recommend going for under seat or separate box.

I used the cobalt tweeters from my component set with some neoprene wrapped around them so that they fit the door sail snug
During Covid i got plenty of time ? I was wondering about these 2 https://www.ebay.com/itm/292300745496 or these https://www.ebay.com/itm/182535166208 i love the 2nd ones best. Question what size are the rear deck speakers? Except the sub that’s getting deleted

OP
OP
86salmon

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP
OP
86salmon

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Long overdue update

It's been a minute since I've updated this and a few things have changed. Some are pretty big, some minor, but cool none the less.

First off. Eibach Prokit springs got installed along with the BMSpec front airdam I've been sitting on for a few months now (almost a year :confused1:). Had both installed at the same time at the same shop. They did it at a fair price, and I've continued to get work done by them.

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20200412_180922

Oooooh the stance, the fitment

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20200419_123240

Dat lip doe

I also did some lighting changes. I went from amber to JDM yellow fog light vinyl overlays to match my super bright LED highbeams. I had an encounter with some road debris that took out one of my fog lights. Lamin-x did its job though, and there was no crack in the lens. I took the opportunity to install some HID fogs in. I used some Xenon Depot bulbs I got on clearance and some DDM ballasts, both from Brisource.com . Borderline too bright, but the color and visibility in inclement weather... ? The glare might be dangerous though, and I'm debating on switching back to halogens.

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20200110_031955

Fogs only :cool:

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20200114_050518

So shiny

I also got a set of white smoked Helix side markers from Unity Performance. Rocking the harlequin two tone alla @CanadiaegeanBlue

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20200408_194824

So slick

And now, turbo time! I took advantage of tax time sales and got a PRL catted downpipe and the MHI TD03 turbo upgrade. The downpipe has added a nice growl to the stock exhaust note and even some burbles. I'm currently in the middle of a street tune for the turbo and will hit a dyno with results soon. Per the shop that did the install, the install was fast and the turbo bolted right up with no issues. Time will tell if the price difference over the W1 is worth it, but given my power goals, I'm ok with it.

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20200330_140059

Not really that big

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20200406_124754

Can you tell it's been done??

Most recently, I went full Acuity shifter add-ons. I added the cable bushings. I installed the smaller bushing upside down and posted the pic on IG. @ACUITY DM me and pointed out my error. I corrected my upside-down-ness soon after. Big props to them for the solid!!!

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si IMG_20200420_072750

They definitely give each shift a satisfying finish everytime. I'm surprised how subtle yet substantial the difference is. The shifts just feel more solid and secure. I may make the jump to a full Hybrid or Acuity short shifter, but I don't know... This is pretty darn good.

As usual, sorry so pic heavy.

More to come...

Complete tune and dyno
Clutch?
Who knows what else

Last edited: