First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
A few updates!!

The TIP arrived along with a PRL cobra race MAF !!

27won tip.jpg

tip preinstall.jpg

tip install.jpg

PXL_20201217_212818274.jpg

With the new intake setup, a new tune was needed. DATALOG TIME!!!

If only it were that simple...

Screenshot (1).png

Yeah... not a happy clutch

PXL_20210114_201818317.jpg

After some shopping around and looking at the experiences of others here, I ended up with the Exedy stage 2 clutch and lightweight flywheel. It's a 3 puck unsprung setup. The flywheel comes in at 19.3 lbs

PXL_20201230_164941553.jpg

138105379_3552950851466969_6285775851017847540_o.jpg

137511443_3552950858133635_3641195334894256009_o.jpg

So far, I like the feel. I think I need to adjust the engagement height a tad. It's pretty close to the top right now. I feel like I'm going to stall every time I try to take off ?

I probably just need to learn to drive

Once break in is complete, I'll be back on datalogs to finalize the tune. Once that's done, it'll be dyno time. Time to see what the TD03 does when it can actually breath. Speaking of breathing, I have some forced air things I'm going to try to get installed... Hint: it involves the rest of the cobra intake and a few other bobs and bits

More to come...
Awesome! Don't see a lot of exedy stage 2 clutches because of the alleged power limitations. Why'd you decide to go with that one?

OP
OP
86salmon

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Awesome! Don't see a lot of exedy stage 2 clutches because of the alleged power limitations. Why'd you decide to go with that one?

I have an OEM builder turbo, so why not clutch too ?

Seriously though, I'm in the middle of tuning and nothing else I'd get was in stock at the time.

Retrofit came back in stock a week after the Exedy was delivered. I thought about returning and getting one, but Eman has a small operation. Who knows how long the turnaround would have been.

Competition- out of stock, lockout issues (maybe?) and a fix that's rarely in stock

ACT- see Competition

Clutchmasters - spotty reliability, lockout issues (maybe?)

Spec and Action - no

So why not Exedy?

They have a good reputation in their other applications. The torque numbers aren't as sexy as the other brands, but the rep I emailed with said my power numbers should be fine with stage 2

TMZ Kev has one and I would have guessed he'd let everyone know if it didn't hold up for his W1 (unless he has an NDA for the free setup) although he did recommend ACT after the fact :dunno:

So it really boils down to availability, faith in brand reputation, and my habit of going for options that aren't necessarily the most popular but are still good (mostly ?)

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
I have an OEM builder turbo, so why not clutch too ?

Seriously though, I'm in the middle of tuning and nothing else I'd get was in stock at the time.

Retrofit came back in stock a week after the Exedy was delivered. I thought about returning and getting one, but Eman has a small operation. Who knows how long the turnaround would have been.

Competition- out of stock, lockout issues (maybe?) and a fix that's rarely in stock

ACT- see Competition

Clutchmasters - spotty reliability, lockout issues (maybe?)

Spec and Action - no

So why not Exedy?

They have a good reputation in their other applications. The torque numbers aren't as sexy as the other brands, but the rep I emailed with said my power numbers should be fine with stage 2

TMZ Kev has one and I would have guessed he'd let everyone know if it didn't hold up for his W1 (unless he has an NDA for the free setup) although he did recommend ACT after the fact :dunno:

So it really boils down to availability, faith in brand reputation, and my habit of going for options that aren't necessarily the most popular but are still good (mostly ?)
ACT's been doing well for us! No lockouts at high rpm and pedal feel is pretty close to OEM. We recommend budgeting for Eman's CMC, we have it on both our Si's

Link to ACT Kit on our site:
https://unity-performance.com/collections/2017-civic-si/products/act-hd-street-clutch-kit-civic-1-5t

OP
OP
86salmon

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Haven't done too too much with the car lately. New house, so nesting has taken priority. Part of that is a new place to work on the car and keep it out of elements.

I'll finally have a garage ?

This post is gonna be long

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si PXL_20210331_151618607

House is nice. The garage is nice. Except for the floor!! So much hot tire pickup and oil staining made worse by a poor cleanup attempt by the previous owners. I've to always wanted a nice finished garage floor. I haven't moved in yet...

Why not??

I started on my research.

In my area, it's $10 a square foot for professional installation. 650 square foot garage... We're also renovating the master bath and taking down popcorn ceilings, so... NOPE

So I looked into DIY

First I checked the big box stores and Amazon. The choices were stain (ick, it just looks dirty), paint (doesn't last), sealant(meh), epoxy (rawr), tiles (rawr), and mats (pretty cool)

Tiles are effing expensive. Up to $10 a square foot. Plus, even the interlocking stuff is about as much a pain as ceramic. Out

Mats for my space were also cost prohibitive. I may look into smaller one down the line to protect my deck from my grill and smoker, as well as a single car one to use for working on cars on (I realize that's what this floor is supposed to be for but... it's so pretty :love:)

Then I looked at epoxy. All the big box and Amazon had were the Rust-Oleum kits. I was about to go for one. I decided to look up install videos and tutorials and that's when my eyes were truly opened ?

I watched a couple videos of people's experiences with Rust-Oleum (ewww...) followed by some from Concrete Floor Solutions and then Leggari. This was followed by in depth reading from allgaragefloors.com and a great video of a home DIY with mistakes to learn from.

If you feel like tackling a project like this, allgaragefloors.com is the spot to do your research. From purchasing, to planning, to prep, this blog has articles covering every step and every option available. Highly highly recommended

I waffled between an aluminum based coating like Rust Bullet or Hellfire and a full flake coverage. Aluminum based is more industrial, full flake is pretty. I ended up going full flake for wow factor and down the road home value.

I went with a Roll on Rock system from Versatile. They didn't have a set kit for the square footage I needed, but a quick email with customer service set me up with a piece by piece list with amounts and type of product I would need for my job. By going this route, I was even able to use flake not in the kits.

The system starts with an epoxy base coat, followed by epoxy flake, and topped with a polyaspartic clear coat. This should last and the clear can be re-coated without having to strip the whole floor. Just clean, scuff, and coat.

Supply list:
18" roller frame with 2 no lint rollers
6" weenie frame with 2 no lint rollers or 2 4" chip brushes for cutting in
18" roller tray
24" rubber trowel (Magic Trowel brand is very popular with installers)
Strap on spiked shoes (lots of varying price points and opinions)
Respirator with fume and dust cartridges (don't skimp on this!!)
Nitrile gloves (the tactile sense to strength is worth it over vinyl)
Shop vacuum
Brooms
Floor scraper of some sort ( some use drywall tape knives, I used a scoop shovel)
Blower
Power washer with floor cleaning attachment
Angle grinder with diamond grinding cups and a masonry cutting blade
Knee pads
Concrete patch and putty knife
Mixing paddles (drill bit and sticks)
Buckets! (I had 6)
Eyes and Ears
Tape and masking plastic

Rentals:
Diamond grinder or floor maintainer with Diamabrush
Dust shroud vacuum attachments and heavy duty vacuum( I didn't use this, but others do)

So first step before the install, prep.

I watched dozens of installs of various types. Even some hour long ones geared for professionals. Each supplier had different tips.

I wrote out my day by day plan and made a list for each day. Epoxy is time sensitive, so having a good plan helps avoid mistakes

Day one- Empty garage, mask off baseboards and walls for cleaning. Pressure wash and scrub with floor maintainer (I didn't rent this, my mom had one from the '80s left from their old business. I used to strip and coat their floors with it when I was in high school... ah memories... but I digress)

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si PXL_20210421_190811659

I blew out, swept, and then applied Zep degreaser to floor focusing extra chemical on the oil stains. I then used the maintainer with a green pad to scrub followed by the washer. It's only a 2000psi electric. A gas 3000psi would probably have brought up more stains, but concrete is porous, and I didn't want to put down too much water. Moisture in the concrete causes epoxy to bubble and flake off o_O

After the clean, I squeegeed out the excess water and then hit it with two passes from the blower. It got the afternoon and overnight to dry.

Day two

I get to the garage and inspect my handy work. It got a lot of the oil up, but didn't do great with the hot tire pickup. That's ok. That's why I rented the diamond grinder.

I had intended on renting a Diamabrush to use with my floor maintainer and do a wet grind. The weather and HDepot decided to not cooperate. First off, nowhere around carries the size Diamabrush for my maintainer. Second, a rainstorm was going to hit in three days.

Humidity + epoxy = bad.

I went to Sunbelt instead and got a purpose built concrete grinder. It was about $80 more, but with as fast as it worked and how well it worked, it was worth it

Before grinding, I patched and filled cracks and divots in the floor with a concrete divot patch offered by Versatile. I then used the angle grinder to cut a line in the garage door opening. The epoxy base and the clear go into this line instead of having an edge that could potentially catch and peel up.

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si PXL_20210422_155146006

Then came the grinding...
That thing took everything off. It also kicks up a TON of dust. I didn't use the vacuum or rent one to mitigate the dust. I had planned on mitigating dust with water, but the slurry would have delayed me a day I didn't have to dry. Using my shop vac would have taken forever since its filter just isn't meant to handle the dust load. EYES EARS and RESPIRATOR are a MUST

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si PXL_20210422_174645568

After a couple hours it was done. I used the angle grinder with a diamond cup to do along the walls and in the tight spots, then swept and blew out and swept and blew out the garage. I then set up for the epoxy base coat and the flake application.

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si PXL_20210422_213915014

I had my roller tray setup as a rest not for epoxy or polyaspartic. My mixing buckets were setup with the resin and hardener at the ready along with my drill and stirrer. I set up to do three batches. 2 for the base and then some and 1 for a second coat. (Two coats is important since the flake soaks it up a tad as they bond together.)

I also had my flake boxes setup and buckets filled to start broadcasting as quickly as possible after laying down the epoxy. I then donned my spiked shoes, mixed up the first batch, and began to roll it out.

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si PXL_20210422_233659446

If I wasn't applying flake, I would have backrolled this and been set to clear in the morning. It's not terrible for a rank amateur, but... I have high aspirations. TIME FOR FULL BROADCAST FLAKE!!!11!!!11!

Spreading the flake was kind of fun. Just channel Rip Taylor and let it fly
Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si 1621253118278

Throw it up high and watch them pretty flakes flutter down until everything is completely covered and then some.

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si PXL_20210423_004858955

If this looks a mess, it's because it is ? I policed my area and headed home for the night. Return and finish comes in the afternoon

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si PXL_20210423_153257267

Day three
The next afternoon, I set up for the clear coat. This meant putting spikes back on and cleaning up the extra flake. The flake kits you usually see have maybe 5 pounds. For this coverage and to get it to adhere, it took 75 pounds. After blowing, scraping, sweeping up flake... then, blowing again, and vacuuming, I got back 35-45 pounds of flake :rofl:

I'm not entirely sure what I'll do with the extra at the moment...

Anyway, once that was cleaned up, I swept and got ready for the clearcoat. Mix stations, rubber trowel, spiked shoes, 18" roller to backroll, weenie roller to cut in. 30 minutes later I had this. To top it off I broadcast a 90 grit silicate to help with wet traction

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si PXL_20210424_010416252

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si PXL_20210423_174253660

I can't believe I don't have a fully cleaned up and tools in place picture yet... Once the other renovations are done and we get moved in I'll add one

This is not for the faint hearted. Even DIY, this is expensive. This was three days of dirty dirty work and the cost for fixing any mistakes is worse worse than material cost.

So far, I love it. It doesn't look like the usual epoxy floors you see and it isn't the flavor of the month metallic. It cleans super easy and doesn't seem to be slick when wet

I have some cosmetic stuff for the car coming in at some point and I still need to get a good dyno run and my ball joints installed!!!

more to come...

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si PXL_20210806_180950210

Last edited:

Kotaas

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Congrats on the new house fam! That’s what I’m working towards right now with a garage so I can stop doing my oil changes on the street ??

OP
OP
86salmon

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Been a minute since I've updated. I reckon now it's as good of a time as any

Had an incident with road debris and ended up losing a tire ☹

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si PXL_20210622_162649147

So I got some new ones
Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si PXL_20210826_192721395

Thanks to @Discount Tire for the great deal on some Continental extreme contact DWS plus 235/55 18. No rub on my 18x9.5 +35. Both quieter and better riding than the General GMAX as5. Great tires

Got some goodies for my truck and for my license plate from nevercontent.jp.

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si PXL_20210928_132154207

So hooray!! It was a bit of a wait, but worth it

Then boo again. I took a bumper hit at Aldi ? (ups and downs this update)

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si PXL_20211031_155709118

I need to get PDR when I get a chance

And up to date... I got Christmas goodies from @HybridRacing

Detent springs and a shifter

The springs were pretty easy to put in, especially since my airbox is already out

First bolt with spring came from here, under the cable bushing. It's a bear to reach and torque back down. Very tight space
Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si PXL_20211226_211521118

Bolt out with oem spring inside next to new
springs

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si PXL_20211226_211500810

Side by side, hybrid on the right
Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si PXL_20211226_212411464

Other location

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si PXL_20211226_211530621

Just needed to undo the solenoid plug and it was easy to reach with an extension

So far so good. They further tighten up the side by side movement. 2-3 and 4-5 are smooth and have a nice mechanical feeling

On the way...

Got some chassis stiffening things from PRL on the way and will install with a piece from Cusco to get the new feel all at once

Need to get on a Dyno

Drooling over brake upgrades

Debating on flex fuel

There's a shifter to maybe install

Once again, sorry so pic heavy

More to come...

Kotaas

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ouch glad you got your tire fixed hopefully there was no damage to the rim
Been looking for a shifter myself just haven’t found the right deal haha maybe I should update my build thread completely forgot about it haha

OP
OP
86salmon

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ouch glad you got your tire fixed hopefully there was no damage to the rim
Been looking for a shifter myself just haven’t found the right deal haha maybe I should update my build thread completely forgot about it haha
The rim held up great

The black Friday deals were amazing, but I don't know if I'm going to install now, I like the springs that much

You should, I need to read about the rebuild all together in one place

OP
OP
86salmon

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Added the CJM ram air duct. I was planning on running it up to my SRI while I had it, but I've installed the Cobra CAI since then. I may still do it at some point. I added a Filterwears pre filter since Charleston, SC and floods

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si PXL_20220107_190852633

Pretty easy install

Remove the fake vent with trim tools

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si PXL_20220107_190701811

Don't forget the pin on the inside

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si PXL_20220107_190717110

Added an oblong silicone tube to the duct for easier attachment of the pre filter, and used a clamp to (hopefully) secure it

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si PXL_20220107_191158874

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si PXL_20220107_191606386

Make sure the duct isn't completely attached to the vent trim. I had to partially unsnap it to reattach the push clip/pin

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si PXL_20220107_192221146

Once the pin is back in place, snap the rest of the trim back on and...

Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si PXL_20220107_192225764
Honda Civic 10th gen 86salmon Lunar Silver Si PXL_20220107_192351057

Ram air duct to feed to CAI

Got some stuff on the way soon hopefully

Chassis bracing, rmm, front pipe, hopefully a Dyno run, maybe a little ???

Sorry so pic heavy

More to come...

Last edited:

Gandalf

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan MSM
Country flag
OP
OP
86salmon

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How's the garage floor holding up?
Fantastic

Water beads up and squeegees away with ease. No trouble with oil or power steering fluid either. Topsoil cleans up well too.

I did have some brake cleaner drip that I missed. It ate into the coating a touch. It doesn't go into the flake, but it's noticeable to me (and only me lol). I plan on trying to spot sand and reapply polyaspartic to fix, which can't be done with epoxy coatings ?

I will do this to any house I move into from here on out :thumbsup:

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Added the CJM ram air duct. I was planning on running it up to my SRI but installed the Cobra CAI instead. I may still do it since I have parts to do so. I did add a Filterwears pre filter since Charleston, SC and floods

PXL_20220107_190852633.jpg

Pretty easy install

Remove the fake vent with trim tools

PXL_20220107_190701811.jpg

Don't forget the pin on the inside

PXL_20220107_190717110.jpg

Added an oblong silicone tube to the duct for easier attachment of the pre filter, and used a clamp to (hopefully) secure it

PXL_20220107_191158874.jpg

PXL_20220107_191606386.jpg

Make sure the duct isn't completely attached to the vent trim. I had to partially unsnap it to reattach the push clip/pin

PXL_20220107_192221146.jpg

Once the pin is back in place, snap the rest of the trim back on and...

PXL_20220107_192225764.jpg
PXL_20220107_192351057.jpg

Ram air duct to feed to CAI

Got some stuff on the way soon hopefully

Chassis bracing, rmm, front pipe, hopefully a Dyno run, maybe a little ???

Sorry so pic heavy

More to come...
I like those future mods - I’ll be waiting to see what a little corn fuel will do to your current set up.

CPTStarDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hey Salmon, have you felt the need to get an upgraded CMC/CSC/Clutch line at any point during your upgrade adventure?? I'm in line for the RV6 flywheel and Exedy Stage 0 clutch kit and I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade the CMC/CSC/Clutch line whenever I get my new clutch in.

OP
OP
86salmon

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey Salmon, have you felt the need to get an upgraded CMC/CSC/Clutch line at any point during your upgrade adventure?? I'm in line for the RV6 flywheel and Exedy Stage 0 clutch kit and I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade the CMC/CSC/Clutch line whenever I get my new clutch in.
I like my Exedy setup. I had the upgraded stainless clutch line installed when my clutch got done. No cmc mod.

No lockout issues and nice pedal feel. It's firm, but still easy to use
Sponsored