First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Plus
Country flag
Hi, im looking around for how to swap out my cars useless stereo,
but im a bit confused on what type of trim have what and witch can be replaced and not.

so maybe make an easy list to how things can and can not be done?

* Basic 8 speaker - replace with anny double din stereo?
Models that have this setup:
USA:
Europe: 5D Sport,

* 11 speaker system - Cant be replaced YET?
USA:
Europe: 5D Sport Plus,

* 12 speaker system - Cant be replaced YET?
USA:
Europe:
Sponsored

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
Hi, im looking around for how to swap out my cars useless stereo,
but im a bit confused on what type of trim have what and witch can be replaced and not.

so maybe make an easy list to how things can and can not be done?

* Basic 8 speaker - replace with anny double din stereo?
USA:
Europe: 5D Sport,

* 11 speaker system - Cant be replaced YET?
USA:
Europe: 5D Sport Plus,

* 12 speaker system - Cant be replaced YET?
USA:
Europe:
I also have a Sport Plus model with the 11 useless speakers. I did not want to huge changes in the car because of the warranty, but I replaced a few speakers:
1 Dash speaker
2 Front door mid/bass(?) speaker
2 Read door mid/bass(?) speaker
It already sound much-much better than with the original setup but it's still just average bad I would say. However now I can finally enjoy music in my car.
The next setp will be replacing the tweeters in the doors near the A pillar and maybe sound deadening the doors.

Btw the Sport plus has 11 speaker "Premium" audio system. WITH THESE KIND OF SPEAKERS:
Honda Civic 10th gen 8 or 11 or 12 speaker system? Spk

Yes. It's a joke. That's the magnet over there with some metal shielding.

I bought some adapters and Apline speakers and replaced them. Worth to mention that the orignal speaker's housing fits perfectly between the door (metal sheet) and the car door panel. If you replace the speaker with an aftermarket one and an adapter then there will be about 4-5mm of space between the inner door panel and the speaker's frame. I didn't find it nice and also casue the door panel to shake and vibrate more so I 3D printed my own frame from TPU (flexible) that can be glued on the speaker/adapter and is exactly so high that it reaches the door panel. I also used tape foam for extra insulation -between my adapter and the door panel- to reduce the possibility of rattling.

I also found out that water can actully reach the back side of the speaker so honda put small Housetop shaped element above the connector as can be seen on the picture. But I found some dried out mud on the connector anyway.

If you remove the door panel then check the litte cloth pieces by the edges. Those should prevent rattels but I found some that were not properly glued or parially missing.

To be hones I never thought that I will find so many cheap solutions in a 30,000€ car. But there is at least much room for improvement I guess. ?
The other thing is that the built-in DAC and AMP is not the best but the OEM speakers are by far the biggest problem. At least that's what I think.
You can probably find threads from other people here with more experience with audio. Those were just my experiences with a SportPlus EU Hatch.