SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Why would you not use oem fluid? The cvt drain and fill procedure leaves 3 quarts of fluid trapped in your torque converter and valve body. You’re saying you want two different fluids mixed in your transmission. I think it’s a mistake.

I don’t think a flush is actually worth the effort. Maybe the fluid you’re talking about is the exact same stuff Honda slaps a Honda Genuine label on. Idk. I think the bottle does say “hcf2” on it.

Last edited:

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Why would you not use oem fluid? The cvt drain and fill procedure leaves 3 quarts of fluid trapped in your torque converter and valve body. You’re saying you want two different fluids mixed in your transmission. I think it’s a mistake.
100% right

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm not sure the fluid used previously anyhow, so figured Id ask. As using OEM won't necessarily mean I'm not going to end up mixing, so why not save money?

Save few bucks on $25K to $30K car ! You waste you time. Use OEM

Old F@rt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, 2016 Z51 Stingray, 2006 Tundra
Country flag
I get what you're saying but that doesn't change the fact that I don't know what fluid is in there already... Is there a way to be able discern what fluid it is post already having been used for 20000 miles? and Not knowing the original owner, etc?

If you purchased car used with 20K miles on it, I think it would be safe to assume that the fluid had never been changed & so just use OEM fluid. If you are really that concerned, buy extra OEM fluid & do multiple drain & fills, so that you have pretty much removed any chance of different fluids.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
So I read (I cant remember where) that Eneos actually manufactured the stuff for Honda and I went as far as comparing the data fact sheets. Couldn't find a complete fact sheet for The OEM Honda branded version, but their viscosity, flash point and other data points are exactly the same. I would rather not mix, but I'm not even sure that fluid has been used before, so I may be mixing cvt fluids regardless if I use OEM? Why not save even more money?
So the stuff you want to use is something you found cheaper than Honda parts counter HG fluid? It sounds like it may be the exact same stuff, which is probably fine.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I hope these people that are bashing non-oem fluids are realizing they are doing essentially the same thing when they switch over to mobil-1 synthetic motor oil.

The CVT fluid he is referencing is designed specifically for Honda CVT transmissions. It will be fine. It's a quality fluid.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I get what you're saying but that doesn't change the fact that I don't know what fluid is in there already... Is there a way to be able discern what fluid it is post already having been used for 20000 miles? and Not knowing the original owner, etc?

You never wrote it is a used car.
When this is not mentioned it is normal to assume that the car was bought new and the oil is from Honda

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Like Old F@rt said :

If you purchased car used with 20K miles on it, I think it would be safe to assume that the fluid had never been changed & so just use OEM fluid.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i went from oem hcf-2 to eneos eco cvt fluid without having to do a full flush and ive done 2 trans fluid changes since then. Car is at 65k+ miles and I push my car pretty hard with the car being modded. (dyno-tuned, tracked, drag strip, autox, spirited back roads, etc...).

FBO + turbo + e-blend on a custom tune on mine.

Not sure why all these other folks are going crazy about how you "can't mix".

If the specs were wildly different / made of completely different oil bases or something they would have a legit concern but not in this case.

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
I changed the AT fluid in my now departed 2006 Nissan Sentra using aftermarket fluid, and it never shifted right ever again. The new fluid met the same specs as the OEM fluid, but I don't care, it wasn't right for the transmission. Lesson learned, for my Civic I just bought some OEM CVT fluid and will change it at the next service interval which is 30k miles. Aftermarket fluid MAY be fine, but I'll never know because I'm using the OEM stuff. The cost difference is basically nothing, so why gamble?

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nissan CVTs in particular have a pretty bad rep. They fail on their own even without changing things up.

Plenty of folks here who have changed with aftermarket fluid (quality products aka ENEOS, AMSOIL not your "other brand" stuff) and have had no issues.

My car is more than 5yrs old and has been going strong with no issues with ENEOS being used for the the past 4yrs. I've done 10+ fluid changes with it and what I would guess at far higher stress levels due to the power being put down vs most other folks with no issues.

Track/HDPE, Drag, AutoCross, spirited driving all included. Which is the main reason why I've changed my fluid so many times.
Sponsored