7 years after launch, how's the rust looking?

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
How are 2016 Civic's holding up after 7~ ish years since launch? Anyone from the Northeast/Ontario/Quebec noted any weak spots, or the rear fenders starting to curl up like older Honda's?
Sponsored

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am in Toronto where they love to use that salt-like brine stuff on the roads in the winter, and haven't noticed any rust on my 2017. I don't have any rustproofing on the car. I also only have just over 40,000km on it, since I have been working from home since the pandemic began, so the car is driven only a fraction of the amount that it used to, since early 2020.

17redsi

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Honestly I'm pretty surprised. I have 170,000km on my 2017 SI and it doesn't look bad at all. Skid plate was absolutely destroyed and my windshield looks like it was sandblasted but other than that not bad. I rust proof every year. Small amounts of rust in the engine bay on bolts and what not but nothing falling apart yet. I am very hard on the car and commute 150 km a day.

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Im rolling around montreal and i have not yet seen a 10th gen civic with rust and we have it rough here...

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mazda i see rust on them a lot even on what looks like decently newer models...honda and Toyota seem to hold up better....even the volks they seem to rust a fair bit more etc.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why don't you look under your own Civic? Tell us how it's looks or even better, take some photos and upload them here.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's great, but now I'm even more curious about seeing some photos from your cars underbody.

How often are you renewing the cavity wax and how much is it? Are you doing that by yourself or do you bring the car to an expert who does rust protection?

OP
OP
TheCanadian

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
To an expert. I had the car done at HoneySeal. I'll post pics the next time it's on a lift. Essentially they removed all the underbody panels, clean it off using dry ice, and then coat everything in a wax.

https://www.honeyseal.ca/

A video of the process:
Sponsored