6th gear interesting noise

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have an interesting issue that only occurs in 6th gear. When I add gas, there is a sort of resonating tone that is coming from somewhere. I can’t describe it fully. It ONLY happens in 6th gear. It goes away when I take my foot off the gas but when I add more gas it comes back.

Anyone else have this issue? It doesn’t seem to matter if A/C is on or off. Being that I haven’t really floored it in 6th gear for obvious reasons I am unsure if the noise goes away when I cross a certain speed, but I know from 2.3k-3.3k it’s audible.

I don’t have any idea what it could be. It’s a peculiar sound, almost like a deep ringing tone. The fact it only happens in 6th gear is what really has me confused.
Sponsored

CBPFK8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8
Country flag
I have an interesting issue that only occurs in 6th gear. When I add gas, there is a sort of resonating tone that is coming from somewhere. I can’t describe it fully. It ONLY happens in 6th gear. It goes away when I take my foot off the gas but when I add more gas it comes back.

Anyone else have this issue? It doesn’t seem to matter if A/C is on or off. Being that I haven’t really floored it in 6th gear for obvious reasons I am unsure if the noise goes away when I cross a certain speed, but I know from 2.3k-3.3k it’s audible.

I don’t have any idea what it could be. It’s a peculiar sound, almost like a deep ringing tone. The fact it only happens in 6th gear is what really has me confused.
Did this issue ever get resolved? I have the same noise since installing a PRL HV intake.

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did this issue ever get resolved? I have the same noise since installing a PRL HV intake.
Nope, it's still there.

CBPFK8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8
Country flag
Nope, it's still there.
Glad to hear it isn't causing issues in the long run. It's just very audible on the highway and drives me up the wall. If you watch the boost gauge while you reproduce the noise, it happens right as manifold pressure goes from negative to positive. After 6psi or so, the noise goes away and the suction noise from the intake takes over. I've been thinking it was a leak in a vacuum hose going to the intake or something, but tinkering with hoses didn't change anything.

I'm at 1200 miles on the clock and just put the PRL intake on last week. Stock otherwise except for Hondata. I'm starting to think the intake install actually has nothing to do with it though.. How many miles into ownership did this noise develop for you?

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Glad to hear it isn't causing issues in the long run. It's just very audible on the highway and drives me up the wall. If you watch the boost gauge while you reproduce the noise, it happens right as manifold pressure goes from negative to positive. After 6psi or so, the noise goes away and the suction noise from the intake takes over. I've been thinking it was a leak in a vacuum hose going to the intake or something, but tinkering with hoses didn't change anything.

I'm at 1200 miles on the clock and just put the PRL intake on last week. Stock otherwise except for Hondata. I'm starting to think the intake install actually has nothing to do with it though.. How many miles into ownership did this noise develop for you?
I first noticed it pretty early on - I'd say about 6 months into ownership (so let's say 4-5K miles?). I've just dealt with it and as far as I know it hasn't caused any issues yet. Did not think to watch the boost gauge though when it happens.