mkimmey1

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T 6MT Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I did this service with about 20k on my EX-T. This procedure should be the same for both the 2.0L and the 1.5L, but I am not sure about the Type R.

1. Remove the transmission fill plug. It is right behind the MAF sensor and down inside the engine bay. I put 2 3/8 ratchet extensions together and attached a breaker bar to loosen it.
Honda Civic 10th gen 6MT Transmission Fluid Change DSC_1035.JPG

2. Lift the car up and remove the transmission drain plug. It will be on the left side of the vehicle next to the rear motor mount. It also will take a 3/8 ratchet (or extension with a ratchet or breaker bar attached).
Honda Civic 10th gen 6MT Transmission Fluid Change DSC_1036.JPG

3. Let all the transmission fluid drain out.
Honda Civic 10th gen 6MT Transmission Fluid Change DSC_1038.JPG

4. While its draining, replace the crush washer on the drain plug.
Honda Civic 10th gen 6MT Transmission Fluid Change DSC_1039.JPG

5. Re-install the drain plug and tighten it down. Clean up any remaining residue.
Honda Civic 10th gen 6MT Transmission Fluid Change DSC_1040.JPG

6. Insert a long funnel (or flexible hose w/ funnel on the end) into the fill plug up top. Pour in 2 quarts of Honda Genuine MTF.
Honda Civic 10th gen 6MT Transmission Fluid Change DSC_1041.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen 6MT Transmission Fluid Change DSC_1042.JPG

7. Re-install the drain plug. I found it easiest to put it on the ratchet extension and feed it down into the hole. The plug will stay on the extension until you pull it off.
Honda Civic 10th gen 6MT Transmission Fluid Change DSC_1043.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen 6MT Transmission Fluid Change DSC_1044.JPG

8. Reset code 3 in the "Maintenance Minder" system. If your car has the TFT instrument cluster, you can do this by going to the maintenance menu, then hold down the Enter button, and select 3. If your car does not have the TFT cluster, I do not know if you can reset an item that hasn't come "due" yet. If the oil life is 15% or below, and the 3 code is shown, you can simply reset all due items, as long as you have performed the other services too.
Honda Civic 10th gen 6MT Transmission Fluid Change DSC_1046.JPG

REDRAGN53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Civic now..
Nice...fluid still looked pretty good in the pic. Did you notice any metal in it?

OP
OP
mkimmey1

mkimmey1

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nice...fluid still looked pretty good in the pic. Did you notice any metal in it?
I didn't notice any metal. The fluid was a bit darker than the photo makes it out to be.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
MTF should last 150k, not 20. Did you change it because you noticed something wrong in the shifting?

OP
OP
mkimmey1

mkimmey1

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
MTF should last 150k, not 20. Did you change it because you noticed something wrong in the shifting?
It's felt a bit "crunchy" when shifting and Honda MTF is notorious for not lasting very long. I usually change every 30k or less.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's felt a bit "crunchy" when shifting and Honda MTF is notorious for not lasting very long. I usually change every 30k or less.
let us know if you feel improvements. I may actually need to change transmission fluid because there is a small leak and i will bring it for warranty repair at the next service. Shifter feels good except sometimes when i am stuck in traffic.

OP
OP
mkimmey1

mkimmey1

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
let us know if you feel improvements. I may actually need to change transmission fluid because there is a small leak and i will bring it for warranty repair at the next service. Shifter feels good except sometimes when i am stuck in traffic.
I drove it around some today and it is a bit smoother. Not a huge difference though.