6MT - Recommended Shift Points...

myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatchback LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The manual tranny in this car is an absolute dream to drive. I like a lot. I'm still breaking it in so I haven't pushed it yet...

But the recommended shift points from the owner's manual seems like a typo. Like I said I'm still breaking it in but no way I'm shifting into 6th at 39 mph!

Here's what the manual says:

Recommended Shift Points
Driving in the highest gear that allows the engine to run and accelerate smoothly helps to optimize fuel economy and effective emissions control. The following shift points are recommended:
Shift Up
1st to 2nd - 15 mph
2nd to 3rd - 27 mph
3rd to 4th - 33 mph
4th to 5th - 36 mph
5th to 6th - 39 mph

???
Sponsored

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
It is not critical those number, but I agree

Milo & Miles

Is there anything that won't fit into this car?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Hatch
Recommended Shift Points
Driving in the highest gear that allows the engine to run and accelerate smoothly helps to optimize fuel economy and effective emissions control.

???
This is technically do-able, I've done it before, but it's so painfully slow. Key thing is here, they're recommending those points for fuel economy.

Now, for any kind of meaningful acceleration, you should downshift and give it more throttle, otherwise you're just going to be lugging the engine.

While you're breaking in your new car, you're best to vary your speeds and acceleration, not flooring it of course, and avoiding running it over 4500 rpm.

cobrati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
Country flag
I have no idea the speeds but depending on traffic/how fast I'm needing to get up to speed I shift at different rpm's.

Normally I'll shift each gear around 2500rpm. Decent enough acceleration without really pushing the car at all. If I can just dink around, no traffic/slow speed limit I'll shift at or even below 2000rpm. Getting onto a highway 3-4k rpm is usually where I end up just trying to get up to merging speed.

shire123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 honda hybrid, 2009 Honda Fit, 2015 Honda CRV
The manual tranny in this car is an absolute dream to drive. I like a lot. I'm still breaking it in so I haven't pushed it yet...

But the recommended shift points from the owner's manual seems like a typo. Like I said I'm still breaking it in but no way I'm shifting into 6th at 39 mph!

Here's what the manual says:

Recommended Shift Points
Driving in the highest gear that allows the engine to run and accelerate smoothly helps to optimize fuel economy and effective emissions control. The following shift points are recommended:
Shift Up
1st to 2nd - 15 mph
2nd to 3rd - 27 mph
3rd to 4th - 33 mph
4th to 5th - 36 mph
5th to 6th - 39 mph

???
I've been driving manuals all my life (65yo now). Have a 17 EXT with MT. Given the driving conditions around here, little or no traffic, all rural,pretty flat terrain, not in any hurry: I start out in 2nd (will start in 1st if on an upgrade). Shift to 4th (skipping 3) at about 15-20mph. Shift to 6th skipping 5th at about 30MPH. This car engine is not straining at those shift points. Yes, the acceleration is a bit slower but I'm not in any hurry.

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been driving manuals all my life (65yo now). Have a 17 EXT with MT. Given the driving conditions around here, little or no traffic, all rural,pretty flat terrain, not in any hurry: I start out in 2nd (will start in 1st if on an upgrade). Shift to 4th (skipping 3) at about 15-20mph. Shift to 6th skipping 5th at about 30MPH. This car engine is not straining at those shift points. Yes, the acceleration is a bit slower but I'm not in any hurry.
You're asking it to do more work at a lower RPM. With DI (Direct Injection) Turbo engines, you're practically begging for LSPI (Low Speed Pre Ignition). What has worked for 65 years is now putting strain on your engine. Technology, what a bitch huh? lol

Fanoflive

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe EXT 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have shifted close to these points. If you think about it like an automatic transmission, while cruising(not accelerating) the transmission always seems to be in a higher gear than what gear we would have a manual in. It is a fuel economy thing. I drive 25 thru town(posted speed limit) in 4th gear, but if I need to speed up at all I will have to down shift or it will definitely lug. I could do it in 3rd but higher RPM therefore lower MPG. Try driving 40 and only 40 in sixth, it works, just don't try to accelerate in sixth.

CivicXander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic hatchback Sport 6MT Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My shift points in residential:
1st gear 0-5mph
2nd gear 5-15mph
3rd gear 15-30mph

On the streets :
1st gear 0-12mph
2nd gear 12-22mph
3rd gear 22-35mph
4th gear 35-45mph
5th/6th 45+ mph, cruising and hwy

Pur3MotioN770

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
I have these points memorized, and actually try to shift at them, when I'm not in a hurry, or not having some fun.

Gazelle_392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mercedes S63 Cabriolet
For city driving I usually shift at 2000-2300 rpm, which gives me 5.7L/100km gas mileage. For mountain driving I usually shift at 6000-6500 rpm, since there is no meaning for reving it up higher, it just get less power that way...

bangminah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but it is related to the topic. How are you all dealing with the rev hang? I find that, especially from first to second, I have to hold the clutch in for another second, ride it out, or give a certain about throttle right at the friction zone (and not before!) in order to have a smooth shift.

CivicXander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic hatchback Sport 6MT Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but it is related to the topic. How are you all dealing with the rev hang? I find that, especially from first to second, I have to hold the clutch in for another second, ride it out, or give a certain about throttle right at the friction zone (and not before!) in order to have a smooth shift.
Rev hang for me is noticeable at around 3k+ rpms
Unless I'm driving aggressive, I try to shift earlier than 2500

Milo & Miles

Is there anything that won't fit into this car?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Hatch
Rev hang for me is noticeable at around 3k+ rpms
Unless I'm driving aggressive, I try to shift earlier than 2500
Agreed. Under normal commutes I shift so smoothly and lazily that any rev hang isn't a problem. Usually there is none at low revs.

Under spirited driving where the rev hang just sits there near the redline, I grit my teeth, wait for it to drop and just let that Golf bastard beat me to the next light.

FKSE7EN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 HatchBack Sport 6MT
Country flag
I always shift at 4K during normal driving. Rev hang happens if I hit 4500 or more.
Sponsored