6MT oil/grease for 1st gear notchiness

Skeegle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Ex-t 6MT
Hey guys, any one with a manual transmission have a notch in going into 1st gear? My gearbox is super notchy when it's cold, and very especially in 1st gear. How would I grease it up? After 10-15 mins it loosens up but the 1st gear notch never goes away.

Secondly, when I have the clutch engaged FULLY, as in my butt is lifted off the seat (to erase any doubt, I don't do this every time obviously), if I switch to 1st when I'm coming to a stop and stop half-way between N and 1st, I can feel the tranny kicking against the shift lever/knob, with the speed of the engine rpm. I can avoid this, but I can also actuate it every time with the right deceleration speed and throw-distance. I obviously avoid it. Do you guys have these issues? I worked at a dealership and I know they dog the hell out of the manuals when you bring them in, so I wanted to ask before dropping it off. It is brand new (1200miles) and has done this the whole ownership. Should I just take it in and ask them to lube/inspect it?

Thanks in advance guys!
Sponsored

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
For sure you will be checking with couple dealers and receiving those run-around before anyone would fix that..How about try to change to a different trans oil? Never hurt~

OP
OP

Skeegle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Ex-t 6MT
For sure you will be checking with couple dealers and receiving those run-around before anyone would fix that..How about try to change to a different trans oil? Never hurt~
Yeah that's what I was thinking, just lube it up myself. Is there a guide for that somewhere?

CosmicX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6M
Country flag
Someone here replaced the stock shifter bushings with all metal ones. DarkLight? Not sure.

Last edited:

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
I havent noticed any notchy-ness with first gear on my car, regardless of temperature. So not sure about that one.

As for the shifting while moving, maybe try just leaving the car in second gear when you do a quick "roll" stop. It has plenty of torque to start in second from a stop and wont shudder.

miles08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
I know what you mean. I went from driving an 8th gen civic and 2015 fit to the 2016 mt civic and comparably it did get a bit notchy in colder temperatures for some reason (especially up here in the north). I ended up getting the acuity shifter bushings and installed a short shifter with new shifter base bushings. It's a fair bit of work to do, but I found the short shifter and base bushings changed the entire feel, closer to the older civic and fit. I also found the factory rubbery gripping shifter knob harder to work with as well, so getting an aftermarket knob can help a bit. I can now pretty much push the shifter into gear with a few fingers, instead grabbing a hold tight and using my whole arm like when it was factory.

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord Sport 2.0t 6MT
The only issue I had was getting into reverse once, I've never noticed "notchyness" whatever the hell that is... If you have to scoot your butt off the seat to get a solid plant on the clutch you're likely sitting way the hell to far back. I'm guessing you're not getting the clutch fully engaged and you're ending up in that no-mans land where you've gotten past the entry point to the gear but you didn't actually get it in gear.

I don't think it's a transmission issue, I think it's a driver issue.

OP
OP

Skeegle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Ex-t 6MT
I know what you mean. I went from driving an 8th gen civic and 2015 fit to the 2016 mt civic and comparably it did get a bit notchy in colder temperatures for some reason (especially up here in the north). I ended up getting the acuity shifter bushings and installed a short shifter with new shifter base bushings. It's a fair bit of work to do, but I found the short shifter and base bushings changed the entire feel, closer to the older civic and fit.
Yeah I thought about that but it's a lease.

The only issue I had was getting into reverse once, I've never noticed "notchyness" whatever the hell that is... If you have to scoot your butt off the seat to get a solid plant on the clutch you're likely sitting way the hell to far back. I'm guessing you're not getting the clutch fully engaged and you're ending up in that no-mans land where you've gotten past the entry point to the gear but you didn't actually get it in gear.

I don't think it's a transmission issue, I think it's a driver issue.
Lol

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Yeah that's what I was thinking, just lube it up myself. Is there a guide for that somewhere?
I have a CVT. but the DIY sub-section or maintenance section might have something.
Sponsored