Amber hasson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
autoaccessoriesreview.com
Vehicle(s)
audi a4
Country flag
Online discussions on swapping out the factory-installed 5w20 oil for 5w30 in Ford engines have gotten very heated, in my opinion. Evidently, my 2003 Marquis needs 5w20 whereas my 2006 needs 5w30.

Does anyone here have any insight on whether I should continue using 5w20 and avoid 5w30?
Sponsored

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, '19 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Follow what the manual says for each vehicle if you plan on keeping each for a long time.

That said. Online discussions on motor oils are meaningless and anecdotal unless you have hard proof running a 30 weight oil in a engine made to run 20 weight oil doesn’t destroy the bearing surfaces on the inside. And vice versa.

The take away is you can use a 20 weight oil in an engine specified for 30 weight. The caveat and one liner summary is you running outside OEM spec so be ready to pony up cash if engine runs rough or fails smog.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Stick with what the manual said.

If you go back far enough on here, there is a thread on oil dilution. Alot of people switched to 0W30, 5W30 etc etc. At the end of the day. 0W20 works very well just like what Honda stated in the manual.

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just to clarify, the factory oil is 0w20.

As far as which oil is best, keep in mind that there are often competing requirements, so there is no such thing as “best.”

One of the driving forces is CAFE requirements, which is forcing manufacturers to squeeze as much fuel efficiency as they can, so oil viscosity is no longer, “what works best for the engine” and more “how thin can we get away with without having the engines fail during the warranty period.”

If you care about fuel economy and drive your car like a typical economy car, then 0w20 is fine for your car. If you drive more aggressively and not care about fuel mileage, then going with a slightly higher viscosity makes more sense.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
Any gf6 dexos approved 0w20 or 5w30 is fine. Go to bitog.com

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The even bigger question is why are people responding to a one post member with a link to a spam site? Just saying.
Sponsored