jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
you're speaking in an "business" sense, not enthusiast sense...so you can talk all the business you want, but the fact remains! This is not a Toyota! Let see how well this "Zupra" sells smart guy! :thumbsup: Make perfect business sense, but doesn't sell! What's the use smart guy?
Bro...Toyota is a business. Every single one of their cars need to make financial sense. As an enthusiast I would have loved a Toyota built engine but im realistic unlike you I guess. Also, I never said the Supra is gonna sell insanely well I just said developing an entirely new engine for just one car would have cost way too much, is that too much to understand?, im not gonna cry about it not having a Toyota engine. It sucks, but it could be worse and it's better than not releasing one at all...new sports cars are always welcomed imo. If you cant understand that then I cant help you.
Sponsored

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
Bro...Toyota is a business. Every single one of their cars need to make financial sense. As an enthusiast I would have loved a Toyota built engine but im realistic unlike you I guess. Also, I never said the Supra is gonna sell insanely well I just said developing an entirely new engine for just one car would have cost way too much, is that too much to understand?, im not gonna cry about it not having a Toyota engine. It sucks, but it could be worse and it's better than not releasing one at all...new sports cars are always welcomed imo. If you cant understand that then I cant help you.
understood, but not with an iconic car like the Supra!!! Horrible example of cross pollination...
To me it's pretty simple, the diesel in the Toyota Tundra is a pretty good example. The Toyota Tundra needed a diesel option, so rather than spending $$$millions, Toyota partner up with one of the big 3 America car companies (can't remember if it's a Ford Power Stroke or Dodge Commins). That made perfect business sense, as now heavy duty truck buyers have a Toyota option now. But with this new Zupra, I bet these potential Zupra buys will be looking at the Type R or a Lexus RC-F or GS-F. Toyota should have grabbed from the Lexus parts bin; maybe even bump the Supra up to V8/Yamaha (similar to the RC-F and GS-F). This is CRAZY!!! It's like putting a Fiat engine in the next Honda Civic SI...

Maybe Nissian should put the twin turbo V6 from the Fiat Gulia into the next GT-R?????
Certain Icons should not change...simple as that.

Last edited:

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
understood, but not with an iconic car like the Supra!!! Horrible example of cross pollination...
To me it's pretty simple, the diesel in the Toyota Tundra is a pretty good example. The Toyota Tundra needed a diesel option, so rather than spending $$$millions, Toyota partner up with one of the big 3 America car companies (can't remember if it's a Ford Power Stroke or Dodge Commins). That made perfect business sense, as now heavy duty truck buyers have a Toyota option now. But with this new Zupra, I bet these potential Zupra buys will be looking at the Type R or a Lexus RC-F or GS-F. Toyota should have grabbed from the Lexus parts bin; maybe even bump the Supra up to V8/Yamaha (similar to the RC-F and GS-F). This is CRAZY!!! It's like putting a Fiat engineer in the next Honda Civic SI...

Maybe Nissian should put the twin turbo V6 from the Fiat Gulia into the next GT-R?????
Toyota should use Lexus parts bin on the Supra since Lexus IS Toyota when Honda had the 4ws on the prelude the prelude disappeared and the 4ws appeared on the Acura TLX

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
Toyota should use Lexus parts bin on the Supra since Lexus IS Toyota when Honda had the 4ws on the prelude the prelude disappeared and the 4ws appeared on the Acura TLX
let me also add that by going with BMW, Toyota is actually diverting $$ into BMW's pocket! Why would / should they (Toyota) do that? Why "flow fertile" water into BMW's field??? Why not dump $$$ back to their own pocket, like Lexus???

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
let me also add that by going with BMW, Toyota is actually diverting $$ into BMW's pocket! Why would / should they (Toyota) do that? Why "flow fertile" water into BMW's field??? Why not dump $$$ back to their own pocket, like Lexus???
Good point

First Name
SaĂŻd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Touring White Pearl
Country flag
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/19/2019-toyota-supra-driving-review-774922/

CTR is in big trouble IMO, especially if the 5th gen won't look like a Mattel toy and will do every bit as well as the CTR on a track, which it probably will lol.

I can just see the CTR interest dying out once the 5th gen comes out in a couple of months and all the journalists raving about how it's the CTR and much much more.
CTR compares to Golf Type R, Focus RS, WRX Sti, not to big 6 cylinder monster of more than 55K...

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
To me it's pretty simple, the diesel in the Toyota Tundra is a pretty good example. The Toyota Tundra needed a diesel option, so rather than spending $$$millions, Toyota partner up with one of the big 3 America car companies (can't remember if it's a Ford Power Stroke or Dodge Commins). That made perfect business sense, as now heavy duty truck buyers have a Toyota option now. But with this new Zupra, I bet these potential Zupra buys will be looking at the Type R or a Lexus RC-F or GS-F. Toyota should have grabbed from the Lexus parts bin; maybe even bump the Supra up to V8/Yamaha (similar to the RC-F and GS-F). This is CRAZY!!! It's like putting a Fiat engine in the next Honda Civic SI...

Looks like we definitely disagree on it but that's fine, everyone has an opinion. I'm just gonna leave it here by saying that I would take a 3.0 TT I6 anyday over a uncharacteristic V8 thrown in the supra, even if it's from Lexus. Lexus doesn't make any engines right now that would make sense in the Supra, so to me it's out of the question. Once these cars hit the market and the aftermarket catches up, the potential of the MK5 Supra platform will be shown and then we'll see. The car is already shaping up to be a great drivers car, regardless of what people feel about it. Via AutoTrader: "It's not a rebranded BMW Z4. It's a car that feels Japanese more than I thought it would. It's a car that brings some of the analogue driving experiences of the 90s into the modern age. It reminds you that driving can be an enjoyable, exciting experience. It's a Toyota and it feels like one".

staylurkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI Coupe, 14' Accord Coupe v6 (RIP)
Country flag
both you guys are smoking crack :doh:

"Supra" is a brand...it's got loyal followings. I am a huge fan of the Supra, but not this one:thumbsdown: Had Toyota used a Toyota engine with a BMW paddle shift transmission and, basically, Z4 M couple chassis, then I might agree with you guys, but the heart of the beast is NOT a Toyota!! Why even use the Toyota 8 speed auto tranny? Why not just everything BMW, with different fender and badging? That's a lot cheaper for "collab" right? Wouldn't that be more "AMAZING"? Auto transmission sucks right? Toyota DROPPED the ball on this one! Very disappointing:doh:

EDIT: If they join the Camry and the 3 series? maybe that is the way to cross pollinate. But not the Supra :banghead:
Lol huh?
1) Toyota doesn't have a straight 6 engine, only a V6. 2) The transmission is outsourced like most transmissions. It's by ZF. 3) The Z4M is 10 years old and likely inferior to the current BMW platform in terms of weight and rigidity. The suspension set up is fundamentally the same. I do agree tho that having no manual option is a mistake above all

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was a mustang fan I read a lot about the mustangs I had two 1980. Notch back and a 1983 hatchback both fox platform remember the ford probe before it became the probe it was going to be the mustang there was a outrage of all mustang fans “ how could ford make a icon like the mustang a front wheel drive car” plus it had a Mazda engine in it so ford redesign the fox platform for the 1994 to 2004 mustang it still a rear wheel drive and a ford engine and the mustang is still around not the probe. Toyota should read into this to see it’s going to be a mistake they should design themselves are at least have Lexus help design it

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
when Lexus released the LFA in 2012, it blow my mind and I'll never be able to afford it. Then I remember the Supra is similar in platform (long nose, 2- door coupe). Then I had a big grin on my face and thought for sure when Toyota is ready to redo the Supra, it would be a variation of the LFA with cheaper components, smaller less potent engine set further back & price maybe from $60k to $70k. That would have be awesome, and I'd be in line to get one!

EDIT: Toyota may probably use the same LFA design team to work out the design for the Supra.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
if they had a manual option, i'd buy the new supra. The B58 is a great engine and it also sounds great too. Just needs some wheels and a drop.

I like the car (although it does have quite a lot of fake vents) but i'm not going to pay 55k for an auto no matter how good the transmission is.
Sponsored