First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Glad Toyota and BMW collaborated to give the world two sports cars in a time where it seems all anyone wants are SUVs. Mazda did the same thing with Fiat for the Miata. Nissan is making a new Z. I hope Honda has the heart to find a way to create an S2000 successor. *prayer emoji*
I'd love to see it. It hurts me to see that Ford is the only company I can think of off the tp of my head to make a 100+ hp/liter NA engine with their GT350. I think Honda of all companies would do well to bring back a NA screamer as a halo car. The prelude was kind of cool... the S2000 was great. The NSX came back under the Acura badge. A S2000, even though it'd be a pretty low volume seller, would be great to see. If the new Z gets priced up towards the Supra (and I think it will if it lifts the VR30DETT from the Infinity brand and they ditch the VQ), then a hotter-than-a-MX5/Toyota '86 little car at a similar price point might be a winner.
Sponsored

staylurkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI Coupe, 14' Accord Coupe v6 (RIP)
Country flag
I'd love to see it. It hurts me to see that Ford is the only company I can think of off the tp of my head to make a 100+ hp/liter NA engine with their GT350. I think Honda of all companies would do well to bring back a NA screamer as a halo car. The prelude was kind of cool... the S2000 was great. The NSX came back under the Acura badge. A S2000, even though it'd be a pretty low volume seller, would be great to see. If the new Z gets priced up towards the Supra (and I think it will if it lifts the VR30DETT from the Infinity brand and they ditch the VQ), then a hotter-than-a-MX5/Toyota '86 little car at a similar price point might be a winner.
Yeah, love the GT350 and even the 5.0. I don't think we'll ever see NA Honda's again tho, as we've all gotten used to the torque of turbocharged cars. As far as classing goes, I'd think a new S car would have to go head to head with the Supra, 718, and M2 in performance for it to be relevant today.

scoobysnack

First Name
no
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2008 Volvo C30, 2009 Infiniti G37
Country flag
Glad Toyota and BMW collaborated to give the world two sports cars in a time where it seems all anyone wants are SUVs. Mazda did the same thing with Fiat for the Miata. Nissan is making a new Z. I hope Honda has the heart to find a way to create an S2000 successor. *prayer emoji*
Ummmm. Are you f#cking serious? I honestly can’t tell.

staylurkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ummmm. Are you f#cking serious? I honestly can’t tell.
Lol, no, I'm serious. If it came down to no Supra or Zupra (which it did), I'll take Zupra. At least Toyota has sports cars to offer.

scoobysnack

First Name
no
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2008 Volvo C30, 2009 Infiniti G37
Country flag
Lol, no, I'm serious. If it came down to no Supra or Zupra (which it did), I'll take Zupra. At least Toyota has sports cars to offer.
But toyota is offerring a sports car that is a toyota only by technicality. All they did was design a new body and do engine, tranny, suspension tuning. The whole idea of buying a toyota is that you're buying a toyota... a car built to last. A car that doesnt lose 30% of its value after a year like a bimmer and doesnt become a money pit the moment its out of warranty. Toyota blew this one.

staylurkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
But toyota is offerring a sports car.
You don't like sports cars?
Kidding aside, yes, the hardware is mostly BMW but why is this a bad thing? The B58 is one of the best mainstream engines in the world, the ZF8 is the best automatic ever, and the platform is just as, if not more advanced, and lighter than any RWD Toyota platform has to offer. The basic formula shows in how good the M2 Comp is. Regarding reliability and depreciation, thats an unknown.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Kidding aside, yes, the hardware is mostly BMW but why is this a bad thing? The B58 is one of the best mainstream engines in the world, the ZF8 is the best automatic ever, and the platform is just as, if not more advanced, and lighter than any RWD Toyota platform has to offer. The basic formula shows in how good the M2 Comp is. Regarding reliability and depreciation, thats an unknown.
Agree with this 100%. While it sucks that Toyota didn't develop their own engine/platform, people have to realize Toyota only did this because they had to. Crossovers are dominating sales and sales of 2 door sports cars are plummeting. They had to collab with a company so they could have a decent profit margin, and what better company than BMW who makes seriously good sports cars/engines? B58 is an AMAZING platform and the Z4 platform is agile and nimble as you want a sports car to be. I'd rather have this than Toyota going back to making boring appliances only. Also, I seriously doubt the reliability of the Supra will be worse than any other sports car on the market. If you're gonna drop $50K+ on a car you can't expect to use the same maintenance tactics as you would on a Toyota Corolla. It's obviously going to cost more to maintain.

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
Agree with this 100%. While it sucks that Toyota didn't develop their own engine/platform, people have to realize Toyota only did this because they had to. Crossovers are dominating sales and sales of 2 door sports cars are plummeting. They had to collab with a company so they could have a decent profit margin, and what better company than BMW who makes seriously good sports cars/engines? B58 is an AMAZING platform and the Z4 platform is agile and nimble as you want a sports car to be. I'd rather have this than Toyota going back to making boring appliances only. Also, I seriously doubt the reliability of the Supra will be worse than any other sports car on the market. If you're gonna drop $50K+ on a car you can't expect to use the same maintenance tactics as you would on a Toyota Corolla. It's obviously going to cost more to maintain.
both you guys are smoking crack :doh:

"Supra" is a brand...it's got loyal followings. I am a huge fan of the Supra, but not this one:thumbsdown: Had Toyota used a Toyota engine with a BMW paddle shift transmission and, basically, Z4 M couple chassis, then I might agree with you guys, but the heart of the beast is NOT a Toyota!! Why even use the Toyota 8 speed auto tranny? Why not just everything BMW, with different fender and badging? That's a lot cheaper for "collab" right? Wouldn't that be more "AMAZING"? Auto transmission sucks right? Toyota DROPPED the ball on this one! Very disappointing:doh:

EDIT: If they join the Camry and the 3 series? maybe that is the way to cross pollinate. But not the Supra :banghead:

Last edited:

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
both you guys are smoking crack :doh:

"Supra" is a brand...it's got loyal followings. I am a huge fan of the Supra, but not this one:thumbsdown: Had Toyota used a Toyota engine with a BMW paddle shift transmission and, basically, Z4 M couple chassis, then I might agree with you guys, but the heart of the beast is NOT a Toyota!! Why even use the Toyota 8 speed auto tranny? Why not just everything BMW, with different fender and badging? That's a lot cheaper for "collab" right? Wouldn't that be more "AMAZING"? Auto transmission sucks right? Toyota DROPPED the ball on this one! Very disappointing:doh:

EDIT: If they join the Camry and the 3 series? maybe that is the way to cross pollinate. But not the Supra :banghead:
Lol you're clearly not aware of the fact that Toyota even choosing to release a new 2 door sports car in a market where they are less popular than ever is a huge deal. You're thinking from a customer perspective and not a corporate perspective. For Toyota to put a Toyota engine in the new supra, they'd have to invest millions of dollars if not billions into developing a brand new engine architecture that would be an inline 6 turbo which they currently do not produce at all. Then, that engine would only go into ONE car that won't sell nearly as much as the rest of the cars in their lineup. The whole thing screams loss on investment and they would have probably lost money on every car they sold :rolleyes:. You're forgetting that the 2JZ was an engine that was used in many other cars at the time, just in different turbo and non-turbo variants so it made sense.

I will say that calling it the Supra is controversial because it's using a BMW engine, and no manual transmission but not really something i'm mad at because the car still retains the same formula of being a 3.0 I6 TT engine, rear wheel drive, 2 door coupe. I'd say that Toyota made a decision that would allow them to revive the Supra name in the most economically viable way possible and the inline 6 turbo is BMW's bread and butter.

In fact, the N54 engine in the mid 2000s era BMW's are frequently called the "modern 2JZ" because of it's insane tune-ability and it's ability to push 800+ HP on the stock block. The B58 in the new supra is no exception and you've probably never driven one but the engine performs great and sounds great as well and will work beautifully with the new Supra. Sure, I would have liked Toyota to put their own powertrain in the car but i'm not that mad because in a world where more and more automotive manufacturers are focusing on building boring crossovers, having a turbocharged RWD Coupe come onto the market is pretty sweet. They DIDN'T "drop the ball" on anything they just decided to make a financially sound decision rather than not building one at all or losing money on making the cars. I only wish they had a manual transmission option though.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Remember Chrysler & Maserati and Honda and rover (sterling) these ventures were failures I’m sorry I don’t trust bmw and come on Toyota build the Supra yourself

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
Lol you're clearly not aware of the fact that Toyota even choosing to release a new 2 door sports car in a market where they are less popular than ever is a huge deal. You're thinking from a customer perspective and not a corporate perspective. For Toyota to put a Toyota engine in the new supra, they'd have to invest millions of dollars if not billions into developing a brand new engine architecture that would be an inline 6 turbo which they currently do not produce at all. Then, that engine would only go into ONE car that won't sell nearly as much as the rest of the cars in their lineup. The whole thing screams loss on investment and they would have probably lost money on every car they sold :rolleyes:. You're forgetting that the 2JZ was an engine that was used in many other cars at the time, just in different turbo and non-turbo variants so it made sense.

I will say that calling it the Supra is controversial because it's using a BMW engine, and no manual transmission but not really something i'm mad at because the car still retains the same formula of being a 3.0 I6 TT engine, rear wheel drive, 2 door coupe. I'd say that Toyota made a decision that would allow them to revive the Supra name in the most economically viable way possible and the inline 6 turbo is BMW's bread and butter.

In fact, the N54 engine in the mid 2000s era BMW's are frequently called the "modern 2JZ" because of it's insane tune-ability and it's ability to push 800+ HP on the stock block. The B58 in the new supra is no exception and you've probably never driven one but the engine performs great and sounds great as well and will work beautifully with the new Supra. Sure, I would have liked Toyota to put their own powertrain in the car but i'm not that mad because in a world where more and more automotive manufacturers are focusing on building boring crossovers, having a turbocharged RWD Coupe come onto the market is pretty sweet. They DIDN'T "drop the ball" on anything they just decided to make a financially sound decision rather than not building one at all or losing money on making the cars. I only wish they had a manual transmission option though.
you're speaking in an "business" sense, not enthusiast sense...so you can talk all the business you want, but the fact remains! This is not a Toyota! Let see how well this "Zupra" sells smart guy! :thumbsup: Make perfect business sense, but doesn't sell! What's the use smart guy?

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
Remember Chrysler & Maserati and Honda and rover (sterling) these ventures were failures I’m sorry I don’t trust bmw and come on Toyota build the Supra yourself
some people just don't understand...BMW is a good car, but only if you have time to consistently drop the BMW off for work, as they always break down...my buddy bought a brand new 2016 320id, fully loaded (about $65k)...it was in the shop 6 times in 2017!!! Great product!! :thumbsdown:

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
some people just don't understand...BMW is a good car, but only if you have time to consistently drop the BMW off for work, as they always break down...my buddy bought a brand new 2016 320id, fully loaded (about $65k)...it was in the shop 6 times in 2017!!! Great product!! :thumbsdown:
I hate to say it but I think when the bmw plant opened in South Carolina in the 90s that’s when it went down hill for them I knew people that had the German built bimmers they were bulletproof like the 2002(model not year)
Sponsored