5th gen Supra will pwn the Type R

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/19/2019-toyota-supra-driving-review-774922/

CTR is in big trouble IMO, especially if the 5th gen won't look like a Mattel toy and will do every bit as well as the CTR on a track, which it probably will lol.

I can just see the CTR interest dying out once the 5th gen comes out in a couple of months and all the journalists raving about how it's the CTR and much much more.
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
While we don’t know all of the details on the new Supra yet, I think it is safe to say that the two cars are not in the same class and comparing the two is a bit “apples to oranges”.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

jinderC

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/19/2019-toyota-supra-driving-review-774922/

CTR is in big trouble IMO, especially if the 5th gen won't look like a Mattel toy and will do every bit as well as the CTR on a track, which it probably will lol.

I can just see the CTR interest dying out once the 5th gen comes out in a couple of months and all the journalists raving about how it's the CTR and much much more.

The CTR isn't in any trouble. Different cars in different classes.
The CTR is made for the Honda Faithful, its a Hot Hatch... its a nod at what Honda does best.

The Supra is a coupe, not FWD. TOTALLY different machine.

Lets not get carried away here... cars are cars - they all have different reasons to exist

Last edited by a moderator:

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 Buick Grand National, 11 GTR, 18 CBP Type R, 11 Tundra Rock Warrior
Country flag
Idk everyone I talk to on here think the type r is the greatest thing to come out since sliced bread

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Type r is a very fun car but it will get old quick like everything else today only time will tell. Everyone wants the newest tech newest this an that in today’s day an age let’s talk about the type r in 4 years an see where it’s at an how Honda is ruining its rarity with the fk8 cause there building so many

Lazylahma

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic hatchback sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Pretty sure I saw that the new Supra would not be offered with a manual gearbox, if I was in the market for that type of car the Supra would be off the table for that reason alone.

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am with u I would never buy a rwd with any auto trans

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd hope a stock Supra could beat a stock CTR. One 20 years ago could. I bet it'll cost 1/2 again to twice as much. Supra's were competing with RX7s, 300zxs, Stealths, 3000GT and the like... and had been fairing well against American muscle (Camaro/Firebird/Mustang) and even the Corvette initially (especially when the 1990 300zx Z32 came out. It wrecked the competition). The Supra wasn't up against a... what... 5th or 6th generation Civic at that time (and didn't the CTR get skipped in there somewhere?). Comparing them now seems like a fools errand. I'd actually think the current CTR would compare more favorably in price v. performance in this era than one 20+ years ago.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
A $50k sports car better be faster than a $35k hot hatch

One is a driver's only purpose built machine for taking on a track, the other is a hot version of something you get the groceries in.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Not sure there is much cross shopping here.. other than historical names... Supra. Its a rebagdged BMW. The coupe version vs the BMW convertible version. With BMW engines and their reliability. For BMW/Supra money, I'd rather have a Cayman or used 911. For CTR money, I'd rather have a used Cayman or 911 ;)
Sponsored