Danny_Drives

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I have a 2020 Honda Civic Si, when I press on the throttle in 5th and 6th gear the rpm’s struggle to increase, and the turbo overspools. My friend told me it could be a clogged waste gate and that I should get seafoam to help this problem. Anybody know what it could be? And what I should do? (I don’t think my clutch is bad because my si has 24000 miles, plus 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th are completely fine with acceleration)
Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
You shouldn't be using 5th and 6th gear for any hard acceleration. It’s very hard on a turbo drivetrain. Maybe 25% throttle to make a smooth pass on the highway if you have to.

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
If I’m below 3k rpm in either of those gears I don’t even entertain the thought of accelerating. If anything, like @SDAlexander8 said, just for casual passing if at all. Otherwise plan on downshifting to 4th or 3rd.

Really the only time it feels normal to use 6th gear for any kind of acceleration is on the interstate when the speed limit is 70+ mph. And that’s if I’m speeding…

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
OP, it's not a good idea to go anywhere near WOT in 5th and 6th. You want better acceleration? Downshift. Those are overdriven gears and meant for economy cruising.

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2006 Honda Element, 2006 Chevy Express
Country flag
That's not a clogged wastegate. That's physics. 5th and 6th are overdrive and double overdrive, only really useful for fuel economy.

Trying to hard accelerate in those gears is beating hard on your drivetrain including the transmission, rod bearings, main bearings, not to mention starving the engine of oil pressure and creating higher than expected combustion chamber pressures and temperatures.

With all due respect, your friend does not sound very knowledgeable about cars and I would recommend not following any advice from him/her. Seafoam will be long vaporized and burnt up by the time it makes it to the wastegate.

borcth

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
They're cruising gears, not gears heavy acceleration. To be honest, I'd avoid most acceleration in these gears unless it's easy, smooth and very gradual. Don't lug the engine and keep boost low or zero in those gears. This is how things go boom and break. Drop down a gear or two to accelerate quickly.

Check this video out for reference:
Why You Should Never Lug Your Engine ( Especially Turbos )

Last edited:

curlichfc1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
lol next post from user "why did my motor blow" no hate but this should be common sense for manual drivers even the newest of the new. I learned the quote drop a gear and disappear when I was 6 years old. Lugging the motor trying to hard accelerate in high gears is how to blow a car up 101.
Sponsored