+50mpg??? How!?

slothy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I've been seeing a bunch of people posting pics of their average MPG and getting +40/50mpg...I average about 29mpg mixed on regular and 33mpg mixed on premium, and I'm constantly trying to get better mileage. Granted I just bought my sport touring hatch a few weeks ago so I'm still in that "break in" period. I keep econ mode on always.
Sponsored

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I've been seeing a bunch of people posting pics of their average MPG and getting +40/50mpg...I average about 29mpg mixed on regular and 33mpg mixed on premium, and I'm constantly trying to get better mileage. Granted I just bought my sport touring hatch a few weeks ago so I'm still in that "break in" period. I keep econ mode on always.
I have an EX sedan and am averaging 43-44mpg using eco. This is the version without turbo. How much are you hitting the highway ? I drive 95% on the highway to get that number, but if I did even half city driving im sure it would drop to the low 30s.

OP
OP
slothy

slothy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have an EX sedan and am averaging 43-44mpg using eco. This is the version without turbo. How much are you hitting the highway ? I drive 95% on the highway to get that number, but if I did even half city driving im sure it would drop to the low 30s.
I can keep the "mpg bar" around the 40 mark between 60-80mph, but I am mostly split 50/50 city highway. Also, I guess the 1.4L turbo could affect mpg..

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I can keep the "mpg bar" around the 40 mark between 60-80mph, but I am mostly split 50/50 city highway. Also, I guess the 1.4L turbo could affect mpg..
Does the Civic turbos require premium fuel ? Yeah the only way I'm getting those numbers is b/c I do all highway driving. The mpg is very good though, my Civic gets between 40-45mpg and my old Prius got 50-51mpg, so for the price and no hybrid system they are pretty good.

OP
OP
slothy

slothy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Does the Civic turbos require premium fuel ? Yeah the only way I'm getting those numbers is b/c I do all highway driving. The mpg is very good though, my Civic gets between 40-45mpg and my old Prius got 50-51mpg, so for the price and no hybrid system they are pretty good.
No, it takes unleaded but premium is recommended.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sport Touring's only rated at 36 MPG EPA, turbo sedans are 42. Low 40s should easily be doable on highway-only trips with lighter throttle. People are posting their individual trips, not their entire tank's worth of driving...

OP
OP
slothy

slothy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sport Touring's only rated at 36 MPG EPA, turbo sedans are 42. Low 40s should easily be doable on highway-only trips with lighter throttle. People are posting their individual trips, not their entire tank's worth of driving...
Ah, didn't realize turbo sedans are rated at 42...Does "break in" period affect MPG as well? I've only had Roxy for a few weeks but I've broken 1k miles already.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ah, didn't realize turbo sedans are rated at 42...Does "break in" period affect MPG as well? I've only had Roxy for a few weeks but I've broken 1k miles already.
To some extent. But Honda quotes their break-in period as 600 miles. Break-in would be a nominal factor at this point.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm thinking those numbers are mostly long run freeway/highway. A guy I knew, who had a turbo kit on his 8th gen Si, got over 40 mpg, with around 500hp, on a trip from Phoenix to Denver. Those cars were lucky to get near 30 mpg around town. So yeah, a LOT of freeway/highway long trips will most likely get you far better fuel mileage.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, Pilot, Tacoma, TSX
As stated, Premium does give you 1 to 3 more MPG based on my sampling. Stay below 60, Use ECO, no AC, reset once you are up to 60. Killers to 50, more up hills than down, don't stop or slow down. I have noticed when you do an actual Gals-Miles, you will see 1-3 MPG lower than meter and trip. Not playing games, I have been getting consistently above 36 on Honda meter, I am happy with this. Just did a long trip and got 42 and 40 calculated staying right at 70. I will take it.

OP
OP
slothy

slothy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As stated, Premium does give you 1 to 3 more MPG based on my sampling. Stay below 60, Use ECO, no AC, reset once you are up to 60. Killers to 50, more up hills than down, don't stop or slow down. I have noticed when you do an actual Gals-Miles, you will see 1-3 MPG lower than meter and trip. Not playing games, I have been getting consistently above 36 on Honda meter, I am happy with this. Just did a long trip and got 42 and 40 calculated staying right at 70. I will take it.
Someone in a different thread said he was getting better mileage with Econ OFF instead of ON..But I am running premium right now and definitely have a few more MPG than on regular.

shire123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 honda hybrid, 2009 Honda Fit, 2015 Honda CRV
Ist. It's easy to get really high numbers for very short periods of time. Those number way over 50MPG are "fake" It's more realistic to see what kind of numbers you can get on a tank of gas (300-400+ miles). My last tank (432 miles was 48MPG both on the dash and calculated). Presently, with 180 miles on the tank my dash is telling me 51MPG. Had my 2017 EXT with MT for 3 months now. How do I do that? First ALL my driving is at the speed limit and slower acceleration unless someone is behind me. (often see police speed traps around here). NO freeways around me so it's 55MPH. I live in a rural area and have a 90 mile round trip commute in a rural area so no city driving. Inflated my tires to 38PSI. (have noticed no difference in ride quality). I firmly believe a manual transmission gives you better MPG given my type of driving. Also all of my driving has been with temps from below zero to 50 with most of it with temps around 30. This summer I am totally expecting to get over 50MPG consistently with temps over 70. My previous car was a 2005 civic hybrid. was getting 55MPG with it even after 300,000 miles.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, Pilot, Tacoma, TSX
If you are in lots of traffic on Interstate, I don't use ECO. Only on flat sections without hills or lots of traffic do I use ECO. ECO Throttle response to slow in traffic and does hurt MPG, in my opinion.

shire123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 honda hybrid, 2009 Honda Fit, 2015 Honda CRV
Someone in a different thread said he was getting better mileage with Econ OFF instead of ON..But I am running premium right now and definitely have a few more MPG than on regular.
I've been running Econ on for the last 3 months. In about a month I am going to try running with ECON off for a period of time to see what, if any, difference there might be. Probably personal driving habits make more of a difference than Econ on/off

OP
OP
slothy

slothy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you are in lots of traffic on Interstate, I don't use ECO. Only on flat sections without hills or lots of traffic do I use ECO. ECO Throttle response to slow in traffic and does hurt MPG, in my opinion.
Does Eco lower MPG when in stop and go? I thought the point of eco was to boost MPG all around?
Sponsored