5000km oil changes!!???

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda in China wants us to service the Civic every 5000km!! The service indicator is set at 5000 and doesnt care about driving style or other conditions. I don't want to do that since american cars are identical to mine and allow a much longer service interval, for economic reasons and for the environment too i will try to keep my oil for 10000 km. I feel this is an easy way for them to make more money.....let's see how the dealership will respond to my questions when the time comes!
Sponsored

GAVZDAD

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so say we all
If your dealer says you have to, then you better just do it unless you want them to void your warranty. Dealers can be a butt sometimes. Luckily my Honda dealer isn't. Our Kia dealer wants it done every 3000, but allows 5000. :dunno: I'll do it just so they can't say anything just in case I need warranty work.

goodra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T sedan
Country flag
They shouldn't be too expensive if it's just oil change and tire rotation. As GAVZ said, they can void you warranty over this. My Civic (turbo) is going to be serviced at around 10000km for the first time, as the maintenance minder told me recently.

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
Honda in China wants us to service the Civic every 5000km!! The service indicator is set at 5000 and doesnt care about driving style or other conditions.
Are you saying the MMI is set to trigger service alerts every 5K km? Doesn't sound right.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
If your dealer says you have to, then you better just do it unless you want them to void your warranty. Dealers can be a butt sometimes. Luckily my Honda dealer isn't. Our Kia dealer wants it done every 3000, but allows 5000. :dunno: I'll do it just so they can't say anything just in case I need warranty work.
Not that it matters greatly, but I think your units are different
3000 miles 4800 km, and 5000 miles is 8000 km.

Also, OP, maybe there's an actual reason? I know it's a slightly different engine than North America..also, without meaning offense, isn't your pollution and traffic horrific over there? Those do play factors in oil life.

OP
OP
CivicChina

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Are you saying the MMI is set to trigger service alerts every 5K km? Doesn't sound right.
Yeah, it's set at 5000km!
Here where I live, pollution and traffic are average for a busy european city, nothing like Shanghai or Beijing hell. My turbo is so cool i could put my hand on when i arrive at destination, so I immagine i am not stressing the oil more than american drivers. Engine is basically the same, just a small tune modification to match the manual transmission, i believe in the valve timing. Manteinance at dealership is around 550RMB ~= 85USD. Not a lot, but it makes all the efforts to reduce fuel consumption pointless!o_O

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Yeah, but even if it's not as bad as the major cities, it's probably still a dreadful environment compared to some low key areas here in Canada and the US. Hell, since I live in Canada, I have to follow the severe maintenance path anyway.

OP
OP
CivicChina

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dealer called me for a free oil change at 3000 Km, I feel it is not needed, but since it is free I am going in tomorrow.
I have nothing else to ask them to check or fix, car is absolutely perfect! I will only ask them to remove the ugly license plate holder with their number, it bothered me since the first day!!

OP
OP
CivicChina

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why not wait till 5,000km or is it not going to be free at that point?
It is free until 3 months or 3000 km. I imagine they will not refuse it because i just turned 3500
Sponsored