$50,000 for a low mileage 20 year old Si. Would you do it?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
It's sad that this car wasn't enjoyed for more than a few thousand miles when new, that's when driving it would have felt the most impressive. Now it's just cool to look at how well-preserved it is, but I can't imagine driving it would be all that fun (or comfortable) compared to other cars you can buy for less than $50k

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Obsessed Garage on youtube is doing a video series on one of these that he bought for 25,000$ that had 27k miles on it.

He is buying every desirable aftermarket part and creating the ultimate EM1 civic build. Then he is going to give it away.

It has been interesting to watch. VTEC on these sounds so good

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It is clean... but I don't really think cars (should) ever appreciate in value unless they're rare. Desirability might hold their price up from plummeting to nothing... but appreciating beyond it's new cost? Nah.

As good as it is... it still isn't that rare of a car. The article mentions an expensive 240Z that sold. Remember when Nissan bought of piles of 240Zs... refurbished them, then resold for $25k when it was axing the 300zxs in the 90s to try and hold interest in Zs until a replacement came out? That to me is a neat thing... even if they didn't sell many. $50k on a not-quite-classic car (still hasn't hit 25) that didn't have any real allure to me when new and I can still see on the road today if I drive around town enough just misses the mark... for me.

$50k could swing a new CTR and a well used version of one of these to tinker with... with money left over for the tinkering. You could just "settle" with driving the CTR when one of these was scattered across your garage.

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Absolutely not, it’s a common Honda. Buyers shouldn’t have to pay a premium because all the other Si’s are riced out or modded.
It is a clean Si though but wouldn’t even pay a quarter of that price.

For 10k less, you can get a new Type R which likely be a collector’s car in the future, given the history of Type R’s in NA.

Last edited:

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Absolutely not, it’s a common Honda. Buyers shouldn’t have to pay a premium because all the other Si’s are riced out or modded.
It is a clean Si though but wouldn’t even pay a quarter of that price.
I think Hondas from that era drive unlike today's cars at any price, so I understand it, but paying that much for one means they're probably not even gonna drive it and enjoy the feel and sound that makes it special.

5% of the country has so much money that they won't bat an eyelid at $50k, but I don't know if this buyer is one of them.

Also there's other old cars that I'd much rather have, Type R, S2k etc - $50k would buy you a fine example of one of those.

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
pass.i can go out to the garage and drive my sons 1993 del sol SI,even if it is an automatic.been in the family since around 2000,over 300,000 miles but still in good shape with new paint and reupholstered about 15 years ago.he likes moms new civic coupe,but not enough to sell his car.

JDMJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PMM CTR #26226
Country flag
I’m sure whoever bought it has plenty of money. So heck yea I’d do it if I was rich! This was a dream car when I was younger.

NazTehRpR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sedan Sport, '08 GSXR 600
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Those cars aren't that rare...

... but it is rare to find one that isn't dogged the f*ck out and on its last legs.

RS27

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6 spd / 2019 Civic Coupe Sport CVT / 05 E46 M3 6MT Slicktop
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I’m sure whoever bought it has plenty of money. So heck yea I’d do it if I was rich! This was a dream car when I was younger.
this x1000000

All the broke jokes saying you should buy something else don’t get it. This is “the” EM1. “The” color. “The” miles. Go find another one like it. I’ll wait here........

ok no others right? Now take someone worth a million+. 50 grand?! That’s nothing. The current type r will never be collectible. Honda made wayyyyy too many and they aren’t special at all. Great cars yes. But nothing special. Anyone with 35 grand can have one. And will continue to be able to do so for decades to come.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Would rather just K20 swap a 6th gen hatch for way less than that and have far more fun.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Absolutely not. And even not $5K , yes five
Sponsored