5 Week Old DWS06+ Bites the Dust

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
I just paid $250 to replace a near new tire today, because the sidewall was breached by what I think was a pothole. These Conti DWS06+'s are very supple, but it seems they aren't the most robust. They were part of my "upgrade" package, which included some nice clean Si wheels, picked up from a forum member, and some new tires. These tires don't stick out past the rim. Gotta be careful when parallel parking. Are they on the narrow side of average regarding width in the 235/40-18 size?. Anyway, I love the tires, but now I'm a bit concerned. Did you guys pay extra for "road hazard" insurance? I was told that it's still an option for my tires, and I'm contemplating that now.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BigRedtheGinger

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport 6MT, 1988 Honda CRX SI, 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2 V8
Country flag
I got my Bridgestone Blizzak WS90 and BFGoodrich GForce Comp 2 AS+ tires from Tire Rack, and they include 2 year road hazard at no extra cost. If that wasn't included, I'd go for it. Especially if you live or drive through an area that has regular construction.

OP
OP
Nessism

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
I got my Bridgestone Blizzak WS90 and BFGoodrich GForce Comp 2 AS+ tires from Tire Rack, and they include 2 year road hazard at no extra cost. If that wasn't included, I'd go for it. Especially if you live or drive through an area that has regular construction.
I bought through America's Tire in CA, which is affiliated with Tire Rack. It seems they don't offer the same warranty, though, or I would have gotten a new tire for free!

dstix747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They were part of my "upgrade" package, which included some nice clean Si wheels. Are they on the narrow side of average regarding width in the 235/40-18 size?
That's the stock tire size for the OEM Si wheel. They do run a bit small on the side wall, and have a slight roll onto the tread. Unfortunately there are areas where rubber bands wrapped around the wheel aren't the best option.

I'm running that exact same tire on a wider wheel (8.5" vs. 8" oem), so it becomes even smaller on the sidewall. You could run a wider tread (245-255) on that wheel with the same 40 aspect to keep the sidewall off the street while maintaining the overall sport look. The wrong pothole can take out any tire. The DWS06+ is built just fine.

BigRedtheGinger

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport 6MT, 1988 Honda CRX SI, 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2 V8
Country flag
I bought through America's Tire in CA, which is affiliated with Tire Rack. It seems they don't offer the same warranty, though, or I would have gotten a new tire for free!
Unfortunately, America's Tire does their own thing for warranty. I'm not sure how Tire Racks warranty would work through them. I've had TR tires shipped to Firestone, but getting the road hazard claim is a pain. You have to submit a claim on their website, but their system is so temperamental to use. I replaced 1 Bridgestone Blizzak WS90 ($225) under road hazard, but when I tried a BFGoodrich ($186), all of a sudden, I can't access my account. I bought both tires from TR to be installed at Firestone. Also, you do have to pay for the labor to replace the tire(s) you warranty, unless I did something wrong when submitting the claim.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry that this happened to you! The DWS06+ do indeed have a rim protector.

I have the 245/40 size on 18x9 wheels, and the DWS06+ were actually wider than 255/35 Indy 500 tires I had on another set of 18x9 wheels lol.

OP
OP
Nessism

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
I was just checking America's Tire to see if I could add a road hazard guarantee, and apparently, Continental has their own road hazard reimbursement program, for tires within the first 12 months. It's a goodwill gesture. I'm going to shoot down this rabbit hole to see if I can find a nut. Wish me luck...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nessism

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
I just got back from America's Tire, with a $250 credit back to my debit card. Full reimbursement!

I showed the counter guy the Continental road hazard reimbursement pamphlet, and he was acting like he's never heard of it. The pamphlet clearly states that the dealer is supposed to submit the claim for credit on their account, but he said it was my responsibility, and that AT doesn't do that. I didn't feel like arguing, so I asked him to record the SN of the failed tire so I can fill out the form. He went into the shop to find the tire, but when he came back he totally changed his tune and said that they will cover the entire amount, including the install cost. Normally, it's the customer's responsibility for that. I wasn't going to argue, though!
Sponsored