T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
Don't push so hard Right when shifting into 5, and it's mostly straight down for 6

It's weird I thought I couldn't get into fifth with the car off, but it turns out that I was just pushing the stick too far right because I was LOOKING at the shifter while trying it, and missing fifth completely and pursuing it up into the corner.

It's fine without looking and by feel only. In fact, looking at the shifter while shifting at all seems detrimental, lol.

Just feel for it.
Sponsored

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
I've had only 2 manual cars in the past, and only one which was a 6spd, for only a combined 7 years.

And then another 4 years o lf driving autos since then.

Takes a while to get back on the horse.

Doc_C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Don't push so hard Right when shifting into 5, and it's mostly straight down for 6

It's weird I thought I couldn't get into fifth with the car off, but it turns out that I was just pushing the stick too far right because I was LOOKING at the shifter while trying it, and missing fifth completely and pursuing it up into the corner.

It's fine without looking and by feel only. In fact, looking at the shifter while shifting at all seems detrimental, lol.

Just feel for it.
This is actually the reason for the lock out when moving over 5-ish MPH. It keeps you from going too far and into the Reverse leg and subsequently into reverse. The problem is, there is a noticeable hang-up/catch on the lock out. This may be isolated to me, but shifting from 5 to 6, it hits this and catches the shifter and keeps it from going into 6. I'm not pushing to the right, and if I try to miss the point where it catches, it ends up in 4. I've had manual cars for 10+ years and this is the only instance I've had of the safety lock out causing a bind while moving in the normal forward gear area.

TheRealWizzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe / 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Country flag
This is actually the reason for the lock out when moving over 5-ish MPH. It keeps you from going too far and into the Reverse leg and subsequently into reverse. The problem is, there is a noticeable hang-up/catch on the lock out. This may be isolated to me, but shifting from 5 to 6, it hits this and catches the shifter and keeps it from going into 6. I'm not pushing to the right, and if I try to miss the point where it catches, it ends up in 4. I've had manual cars for 10+ years and this is the only instance I've had of the safety lock out causing a bind while moving in the normal forward gear area.
I noticed this issue with my car as well, however after about 1,000 miles it goes right into sixth without a problem. Not sure if it broke in or if i just got used to it though.

Old guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
I had to change my grip on the shifter to overcome that issue. To go from 5th to 6th I grab it with my thumb pointing down and pull down. All the other shifts are done with the thumb sideways. Hope that makes sense.

Doc_C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I noticed this issue with my car as well, however after about 1,000 miles it goes right into sixth without a problem. Not sure if it broke in or if i just got used to it though.
I've got 2100 miles on the odo now and it started within the last 100-150 miles.

Aldoraine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I've always shifted to 5th gear like it's a gated shifter, 3 part motion combined into one. Basically up into neutral, over to the right, then straight up. Sounds awkward but you get super fast at it, and it's easier on your shift mechanism. Just pretend its gated. Normal motion shifts for every other gear though.

View attachment 66523

Honda Civic 10th gen 4th to 5th gear gearshift

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honestly from 4th to 5th is quite simple. I just go up right up and in it goes to 5th. Then on 6th I just pull straight down. It could be that I am used to driving stick but still it is the same as any other manual transmission 5 speed or 6 speed

wopsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
I’m getting the 5th gear lock out lately. I didn’t pay attention to how I shifted to it, but not sure if any of you guys experienced it even when you carefully move the knob all the way to the right and then go into 5th. I’ll try and pay attention to how I shift to it. All other gears were fine.

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
Took my a while to get used to it to. All my other manual cars had gates.
Meaning from 4-5, I had to go UP -> Right -> UP.

With the Si, I can pretty much just go straight diagonal to fifth.
Or maybe the short throw just makes it seem that way.

My Evo was my first manual car. It felt like I was hitting gates too.
My buddy told me to adjust my back rest so my wrists can hang over the wheel.
That was the best advice he ever gave me.
My shifts and pedal action became way smoother.

wopsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
This would be my 3rd si in the last 10 years. 1st si had 3rd gear lock out issues that was common and needed an updated synchro fix. I hope it’s just my shifting and not anything mechanical.

Edit: with the engine off and parked, I could row through all the gears except for 5th. Does yours do that?

Last edited:

mbsi19

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si HFP
Country flag
This is only in certain scenarios. If you are going on a flat surface, keeping the RPM's lower will help gas mileage. However, if you are going up an incline, lower RPMs actually require you to use more gas, because you have to open the throttle body wider to maintain speed. Watch your little instant gas gauge.
this
the crz had my favorite fuel/battery status HUD ive ever seen. so much info represented in such a clean, minimalist design. man i miss that car.
Sponsored