4th Gear Lockout - Covered under warranty?

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Honda service told.me.if it's.not.covered under warranty they will charge me $140 if Honda says it's not under warranty.

I only had the car for a few days so I rather cancel.my.appointment If I will get charged.

Has anyone else taken their car in for this issue? Is it even worth it?
Sponsored

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
so I take it won't go into 4th right away...you have to back off going into the gear, then try again and it allows you to after that?

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've had this happen to me a number of times.
Haven't thought much of it.
yeah, I've noticed it, but also didn't worry too much about it.

I never let it grind of course. It is quiet strange...like it's slightly hesitant to go into 4th at times.

It seems very random...so getting a technician to drive the car and have it happen to them doesn't seem too likely.

I sometimes wonder if it's due to the weather...??

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
My 4th gear lockouts stopped after I swapped shift knobs for whatever reason (Honda accessory knob). Though it may have been human error on my part as well.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My 4th gear lockouts stopped after I swapped shift knobs for whatever reason (Honda accessory knob). Though it may have been human error on my part as well.
lol. Crazy. Mine does it regardless. I have the access knob also.

Rarely happens to me, I'd say like 1 or 2 times a month...not enough to make me take it to honda...just notice it.

TheSnakeJake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
hey guys & girls... just wanted to chime in here on the 4th gear lockout issue. this first happened to me at around 2k miles and has since happened about a dozen times (i have almost 4k miles now). it seems to be completely random, not ambient temperature related or fluid temp related. it has happened when the car is fully warm after an hour of driving. i am considering switching to amsoil synchromesh at my first oil change to see if it helps at all.

i have not had an issue with 2nd gear grinding during the 1-2 upshift. however, i make this upshift slowly knowing that the common issue exists. i do feel some gear "nibbling" when downshifting from 3-2. this happens consistently and is not really an audible grind, but i can feel that the gears are not meshing right away. the best way i can describe it is a nibble that i feel in the shift knob. have any of you guys experienced this?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
lol. Crazy. Mine does it regardless. I have the access knob also.

Rarely happens to me, I'd say like 1 or 2 times a month...not enough to make me take it to honda...just notice it.
Darn... I had mine happen a few times, it would go into gear then pop out, but this was when my car was at like 8k miles. Currently at 18k, haven't had it since. Hopefully you figure it out.

hey guys & girls... just wanted to chime in here on the 4th gear lockout issue. this first happened to me at around 2k miles and has since happened about a dozen times (i have almost 4k miles now). it seems to be completely random, not ambient temperature related or fluid temp related. it has happened when the car is fully warm after an hour of driving. i am considering switching to amsoil synchromesh at my first oil change to see if it helps at all.

i have not had an issue with 2nd gear grinding during the 1-2 upshift. however, i make this upshift slowly knowing that the common issue exists. i do feel some gear "nibbling" when downshifting from 3-2. this happens consistently and is not really an audible grind, but i can feel that the gears are not meshing right away. the best way i can describe it is a nibble that i feel in the shift knob. have any of you guys experienced this?
I've had the 2nd gear grind happen during the 1-2 upshift, but happen more often with a 3-2 downshift. No clue why. Hasn't happened in a while though.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Darn... I had mine happen a few times, it would go into gear then pop out, but this was when my car was at like 8k miles. Currently at 18k, haven't had it since. Hopefully you figure it out.
dang, yours popped out...wow. So far nothing that crazy. I haven't experienced mine locking out in a while.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
dang, yours popped out...wow. So far nothing that crazy. I haven't experienced mine locking out in a while.
Yeah. My friend was with me. It hit 4th gear, car registered it in the dash, started going for half a second and popped right into neutral.
Sponsored