MrJustin81

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I'd skip third for now and go to 4th until you have a tranny to swap with. There are several threads on options for beefing up the transmission. I started a thread on cryo treating, REM polish, and oil absorbent coating my stock gears. I spent about $300 for each of my transmissions for the treatments. I run a flex fuel tune on map 3 all of the time. I daily the car 2,500 miles a month, autocross, and run track days when I can get them. My high mileage trans was upgraded at 86,000 miles and ran it pretty hard for another 20,000 miles before putting the upgraded low miles trans back in. Been running it hard for a few weeks. I need to run a few track days to confirm the gears will hold my tune with long duration boost before claiming success, but it's lean in the right direction. With a few tools and a little patience, a spare trans can be upgraded fairly easy. A shop press is the only tool that most people don't have, but inexpensive through harbor freight. There isn't much info on rebuilding these transmissions, but they are not difficult. Just have to really pay attention to the order of things and take note of where each synchro goes as you take them out. The synchro hubs also have orientation that is important. Other than that, the manual walks you through the process pretty good and has torque values for everything.

The more expensive option are aftermarket gear sets. I only know of PPG being proven, but other's are commenting on lower cost alternatives. I don't think there is a comprehensive comparison yet on the options. The cryo treated option was in my price range and capability. I plan to add a custom flex fuel tune and intercooler next year. This will be a good test for my setup.

Good luck. Report back what you decide to do.
How long did u run the phearable 2.5 flex tune befire you did anything to the original transmission
Sponsored

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Nearly two years. I think it was the long duration in 4th gear at high boost that put me over on a track day last year. I used to punish 4th on the highway, so no surprise it gave up. I hope to have enough durability now to handle what I'm doing. Autocross doesn't count for the cumulative damage in the higher gears, but highway pulls are adding up in 4th and 5th, and whatever big track time will be my test. I hope this inexpensive upgrade holds up for my tune and driving style so I can offer a good opinion for this forum.

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I'm waiting for my head stud kit to come in. Been running hard on borrowed time. Can't seem to keep my foot out of it despite the risk of lifting the head. Been fine for over two years. What's another week or two?
Sponsored