Learn2turn:)

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW FK8, 2005 S2000, 1995 Miata
Country flag
ALLDATA seems to think it is a long job. See below...

Camshaft, Remove & Replace

One
Skill level B
8.8hr
Includes: R&I Valve Cover & Adjust Valves.

Both
Skill level B
9.0hr
Includes: R&I Valve Cover & Adjust Valves.

RiotKing

Riot Crew Racing [President-Tx Ch-Founding Member]
First Name
Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
So I recently (in the last two months recent) have purchased and installed (NOT LITTERALLY DONE BY ME but on my build) the TR2 cam from 4P, on the ported head I bought as well. That said, the individual that did the majority of the work, it didnt take hime 8 hrs more like 5-6 but considering he was adding more than just a cam (head,valves, springs, etc) id sa less than that maybe 3 hours or 2 possibly.

RiotKing

First Name
Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone got 4piston drop in camshaft TR2,
https://4pistonracing.com/collectio.../copy-of-4p-tr3-racing-camshafts-k20c1-type-r

I wonder how hard is the installation ? I contact a few shop locally and none of them wants to take the job.
How much you got charged for install?

also how high did you setup go to? 8500rpm? or 9000rpm?
thank you
I knoiw this thread is older however to be thorough to help answer where validity is desired, I also wanted to throw in its not a great IDEA to even think RPM range for limiter you mentioned without ABSOLUTELY having built bottom at the bare min. 8k here and thats stressful for sure on ANY stock internals considering its stated as suggestive to purchase aftermarket srpings and or valves (I dont recall virbatim as I bought both anyways, however it could be either or in the statement) prior to untilizing the TR 4P cams,.

4piston

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
I recommend Ferrea valve spring if you are going to turn over 8000. The OEM valve spring can't control the valve up there. Also be aware of your fuel pump control up there.

Plenty of guys are turning well over 8000 with these cams now, but most of those have the supporting mods to do that.

3 hour install inexperienced, 2 hours install if you are fast. I'm experienced....but not fast...takes me 3 hours and 4 Miller Lite's

ctrsg

First Name
CTR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I recommend Ferrea valve spring if you are going to turn over 8000. The OEM valve spring can't control the valve up there. Also be aware of your fuel pump control up there.

Plenty of guys are turning well over 8000 with these cams now, but most of those have the supporting mods to do that.

3 hour install inexperienced, 2 hours install if you are fast. I'm experienced....but not fast...takes me 3 hours and 4 Miller Lite's
Can hondata hpfp support 8000 over rpms?

Xlohen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
So I recently (in the last two months recent) have purchased and installed (NOT LITTERALLY DONE BY ME but on my build) the TR2 cam from 4P, on the ported head I bought as well. That said, the individual that did the majority of the work, it didnt take hime 8 hrs more like 5-6 but considering he was adding more than just a cam (head,valves, springs, etc) id sa less than that maybe 3 hours or 2 possibly.
ouu hows it running

RiotKing

First Name
Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Well there has been an issue with my [what we think and will conclude on once the replacement gets in onnthe 5th] vtc cam gear. So I havent progressed too far into the "enjoyment" side so to speak. However she sounds nasty from first crank after installing the cam. It's noticeable and mot based on precision pretense. It's best described like taking the angry bumble bee-esq sound, the high pitch that can be recognized on any fk8 exhaust other than stock. That note gets tuned down an octave or two. I was very pleased there. That said I'll will gladly post after the cam gear is swapped and I move down the tuning track of things if you'd like.

RiotKing

First Name
Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Well there has been an issue with my [what we think and will conclude on once the replacement gets in onnthe 5th] vtc cam gear. So I havent progressed too far into the "enjoyment" side so to speak. However she sounds nasty from first crank after installing the cam. It's noticeable and mot based on precision pretense. It's best described like taking the angry bumble bee-esq sound, the high pitch that can be recognized on any fk8 exhaust other than stock. That note gets tuned down an octave or two. I was very pleased there. That said I'll will gladly post after the cam gear is swapped and I move down the tuning track of things if you'd like.
And let me clarify as not to discourage on the issue regarding some fault of anyone vendor [4pistons, supertek and any other mention] it's simply put shit design part and has been that way since been that way and that's not me alone but from even much more respectable folk in the Honda community suggestive as well. So let that be known and like I said if you care and want I'll post more after I get over the temporary set back it's caused. Mainly from national back order aspect but I managed to find a vendor in europe (dream performance I believe,) that had some on hand where no one in the US [of 4 dealerships I called and several online] had on hand.

cvmomo1CTR

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR , 2018 Civic Sport , 06' E46 325ci , 12’ Ducati 848EVO
Country flag
Can hondata hpfp support 8000 over rpms?
Yes it can, but keep in mind if your using Hondata to tune you can only max it out to 8200rpm , anything more and you will need Motec and a built head of course even built head if you trying to get over 7800rpm.

ctrsg

First Name
CTR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Nice. So with upgraded springs i can tune to 8000rpm? Wonder if the mhi stage 2 turbo can take 8000 rpm too?

speedyserg

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
Nice. So with upgraded springs i can tune to 8000rpm? Wonder if the mhi stage 2 turbo can take 8000 rpm too?
Hotside on the MHI is a little small- 7600 should be fine as alot of guys have done that.

If anything you'll make the same power on 3psi less boost with the cams - plus carry the power vs it falling off after 7k like stock cams do. That's really what I like about them - makes a huge difference when your on 32psi at 7600+

ctrsg

First Name
CTR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Hotside on the MHI is a little small- 7600 should be fine as alot of guys have done that.

If anything you'll make the same power on 3psi less boost with the cams - plus carry the power vs it falling off after 7k like stock cams do. That's really what I like about them - makes a huge difference when your on 32psi at 7600+
Thank you. Can stock valve train support 7600? Or i should just upgrade them?

speedyserg

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
Thank you. Can stock valve train support 7600? Or i should just upgrade them?
It's a personal call on that one - it's a PITA to install valvesprings with the head still on so most guys drop them in without upgraded springs - I had my head ported so I upgraded the valvetrain to be ready for TR2s soon.

On stock springs I went to 7600 on a larger RV6 R660 with no issues - I think 72 or 7400 might be a little safer on stock springs with the larger cams. I like having the extra insurance on 30+psi and cams so that's why I upgraded the valvetrain - otherwise I would think about it too much 😆

ctrsg

First Name
CTR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
It's a personal call on that one - it's a PITA to install valvesprings with the head still on so most guys drop them in without upgraded springs - I had my head ported so I upgraded the valvetrain to be ready for TR2s soon.

On stock springs I went to 7600 on a larger RV6 R660 with no issues - I think 72 or 7400 might be a little safer on stock springs with the larger cams. I like having the extra insurance on 30+psi and cams so that's why I upgraded the valvetrain - otherwise I would think about it too much 😆
Sweet. Haha. I am wondering if i should change motec ecu first before doing a much bigger built motor with tr3 with all the goodies in it.
presume motec will allow 10 to 20 more whp across the range?
Sponsored