4500K HID on low beam clear white

MoeMoney831

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Did you change the fog light bulbs as well or is that just an overlay?
Sponsored

sergeadmin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX, 2010 Civic DX, 2004 Pilot EX-L
Country flag
How are you holding up without a relay? I really wanna get an HID kit but this thread is spooking me
I spoke with HIDKitLights.com's sales reps, they said that you don't need a relay harness unless you are doing a dual bulb setup, or if you have a bi-xenon setup (both Low and High are on the same bulb).

I've run 55W 6000K HID bulbs on a 2004 Pilot for 10 years - Bi-xenon, also ran 55W 6000K HID bulbs on a 2010 Civic for 6 years. No issues on both cars. Both used stock harnesses.

YMMV, every bit of security is good.

BillyCuth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, got some night time shots. They are not much different from halogen in terms of light output, which is fantastic. There are a few minor hot spots towards the middle, but the overall output is great.
5000k 35w HID matches the DRLs very well. The lamps produce a ton of flicker (the part of the cut off where the light bends and changes color), so you're going to look really blue driving down the road.
Fog lights are 35w "golden yellow" halogens.
Honda Civic 10th gen 4500K HID on low beam clear white DSC_0004

Honda Civic 10th gen 4500K HID on low beam clear white DSC_0009

Honda Civic 10th gen 4500K HID on low beam clear white DSC_0013

Honda Civic 10th gen 4500K HID on low beam clear white DSC_0015

Honda Civic 10th gen 4500K HID on low beam clear white DSC_0016
Thanks so much for this write up Snoop! Great info for a newb like me. I think I can do this now. I've never upgraded headlights to HID before. Usually the car had them (I miss them).

I am gonna go 4300K based on this. I never use my High Beams so I am just gonna leave those stock or maybe add a better halogen bulb for when I really need them. I am gonna put a halogen yellow tint light in the fogs...

Thanks again!

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions.

Check out https://www.theretrofitsource.com/ for top quality HID parts. I'm done with those cheap eBay Xentec kits personally. They work decently for the money, but they are not 100% reliable. There isn't much that's more frustrating than having to screw with your lights in the morning on your drive to work.

I've got a set of Morimoto in my WRX now and they have been completely problem free. They also turn on faster and seem a bit brighter.

BillyCuth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
I was gonna go DDM tuning and get an ultra kit. Based on the fact that later you switched to 5000K 55W and it looks much whiter, I am going to go 5500K instead of 4500K (ddm seems to only offer these two options, no 5000K).

When you wired up the passenger side ballast, how did you tap into the positive on the drivers side? Just strip and solder or did you use a different method? Seems pretty easy overall.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is what I am looking at... Pricey, but I like the lifetime warranty and DDM has been in the game a while.

http://ddmtuning.com/Products/UltraHIDKit
That's not that expensive. You won't need any error eliminator or adapter cables.

I assume you mean tap into the OEM H1 harness? I had a plug that went into the OEM H1 to give me 2 leads to run into the relay. To power the passenger relay, I just ran a + wire under the core support over to the passenger ballast and ran a ground wire from the chassis to the passenger ballast. I didn't alter any OEM parts.
Honda Civic 10th gen 4500K HID on low beam clear white 2016_01_23_11_56_07

BillyCuth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
I mean how did you actually connect the positive lead from the passenger side to the setup - did you splice into the drivers side positive lead (post relay)? Not sure if I am being clear. I know you didn't tap any of the original wiring.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I ran a wire from the + on the relay connected to the driver side to the passenger ballast +

I made a single relay dual out setup.

Forgive my crude MS Paint skills, but I can't make a nice one in CAD at work.
Honda Civic 10th gen 4500K HID on low beam clear white HID Diagram

tsthomas322

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T w/ Sensing
I was sold on HID as I had a full retrofit on my 2006 Honda Accord but I have been looking into LED's recently and the newer ones have brighter then HID lighting and just wondering if anyone has experience with the brighter kits like the Broview 6500k 12,000Lm kit. The name is weird and they don't have a solid website but they have a large number of reviews and it looks very promising. Just tired of the whole relay wiring thing and price is cheaper and brightness is better supposedly.

https://www.amazon.com/BROVIEW-Headlight-Arc-Beam-Headlights-Warranty/dp/B01BF6EC3I

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was sold on HID as I had a full retrofit on my 2006 Honda Accord but I have been looking into LED's recently and the newer ones have brighter then HID lighting and just wondering if anyone has experience with the brighter kits like the Broview 6500k 12,000Lm kit. The name is weird and they don't have a solid website but they have a large number of reviews and it looks very promising. Just tired of the whole relay wiring thing and price is cheaper and brightness is better supposedly.

https://www.amazon.com/BROVIEW-Headlight-Arc-Beam-Headlights-Warranty/dp/B01BF6EC3I
LED isn't on par with HID yet. They all produce a ridiculous amount of heat and most burn out quickly. The light output isn't very great either. If you're only interested in how the lights look, you can go LED. But if you want to see at night as well, stick with HID.

Andy123az

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Acura MDX Tech, 2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I'm trying to get a Morimoto HID kit. Problem is, 50W or 35w. I like that the 50W is brighter but from what I've read, 5500K at 50W is different than 5500K at 35W. Can some one clarify for me? I would like to buy headlights that match the DRL's as close as possible. 4500K at 50W might be too white...

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
So I'm trying to get a Morimoto HID kit. Problem is, 50W or 35w. I like that the 50W is brighter but from what I've read, 5500K at 50W is different than 5500K at 35W. Can some one clarify for me? I would like to buy headlights that match the DRL's as close as possible. 4500K at 50W might be too white...
Replied to your other thread.

Yes, wattage will screw Kelvin readings. The higher the wattage, the lower the kelvin rating will look.

4500W at 35W is going to be nearly pure white, unless you bought shitty cheap HIDs. 4500W at 50W is going to give you a yellow tinge.
You'll want 5~6000W bulbs if you want the 50W ballasts. But I don't recommend, explained in the other thread.
Sponsored