First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bought this kit, OPT7 35w S2 H11 HID Kit w/Relay Harness Bundle, and it was crap. One side was fine, but the other side, closest to the battery, would come on sometimes, other times it would make a short-circuit sound and not come on. Seemed like it was struggling to get enough power to ignite. When the car was running, that one side would almost never ignite.

Stay away:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPT7-35w-S2.../111557778268?ssPageName=ADME:X:RRNTB:US:3160
Super common with cheap kits. Ballasts will sometimes not ignite. You can power them off for a few seconds and try again. Eventually they usually turn back on.
Sponsored

Andy123az

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Acura MDX Tech, 2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just to warn you, zip ties will become brittle with heat/cold cycles and eventually just disintegrate. Hence why I used metal ties on mine, w/ 3M tape.

With your setup, if the zip ties to break, the ballasts will just fall straight through.
Thanks for the heads up. The zip ties are temporary as I don't have any strong double sided tape at home. When using double sided tape, should I remove the orange metal bracket on the ballasts?

chrisliese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic exl-t, 2002 Honda s2000 turbo, 2016 Honda Odyssey
Super common with cheap kits. Ballasts will sometimes not ignite. You can power them off for a few seconds and try again. Eventually they usually turn back on.
Yes that is what would happen. not dependable, RETURNED

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Thanks for the heads up. The zip ties are temporary as I don't have any strong double sided tape at home. When using double sided tape, should I remove the orange metal bracket on the ballasts?
Whichever you think will get you a better bond.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking
Country flag
Out of everything I've found, these LED's for $80.00 have the best reviews (over 200 ratings left) on Amazon. They claim a 2 year warranty, and while the main components are import, the LED's are CREE. Pretty amazing reviews. I'm debating trying them... Not sure if I want to go LED or just get better halogens. I prefer to stay in the 6000-6500 kelvin range to get the white, or white/blue look. Those LED's are 6000k. Hmmm....

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Wait i am looking to buy a kid from DDM for my 2018 Civic. Do i need to worry about messing anything up if i just plug their kit directly into my car like how it comes? Because i dont want to risk breaking anything...
A lot of people like to be cautious and not power the HID directly off the factory harness. That's probably true because they have some cheap stuff that isn't well designed for plug and play.

Someone tested a bunch of HID kits against a standard 55w halogen bulb: http://theeshadow.com/files/volvo/hidcomp.html

Long story short:
Your factory standard halogen bulbs pull 4.5 amps nominal with a 20ms long inrush of 15 amps.
A DDM 55W HID kit pulled 4.4 amps nominal with a 20ms long inrush of 13.6 amps. You'd expect even less than that with a 35 watt kit.
A HID50 kit pulled 5.1 amps nominal (still not a problem) with a 25ms long inrush at 10.9 amps. No problem there.
However, a 35watt Xentec kit pulled 6.6 amps nominal with an inrush of 20amps. That's too much.

If you don't want to chance it, go for xenondepot. I have 3 of their kits on my cars. Even their cheaper Volt HID kit has extremely low inrush: <6 amps. I don't see how anyone in their right mind can claim that a HID kit that has lower nominal current draw and less than half the inrush current can possibly harm your factory standard harness.
Sponsored