45 Offset wheels vs 60 -

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
So I am a little bitch when it comes to impacting the feel of the Type R. I really only got one because torque steer had been solved essentially in a FWD platform. So I'm enjoying it, got 19" NSX wheels for daily / track, but I want to run a more aggressive tire for the track, and don't like the idea of changing rubber on one set of wheels - so now I'm considering a track set of wheels.

My question is this - There is a nice set of 18's for sale in the parts section - but presently when I am driving the track my sidewall is almost rolling over due to full sending around corners.

- Would an 18 exacerbate that issue since it would have a taller sidewall?
- Is the torque steer with an 18" and 45 offset like day and night difference to stock or is it like 'meh - minor pull, barely noticeable'

My other choice would be to get a set of FL5 wheels / FK2 wheels, or a second set of NSX wheels to accomplish the second set approach.

So - hit me with it - how bad is a 45 offset for the amazing feel of our cars?
Sponsored

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
This is not the same thing as summer tires with a 45mm off set vs a 60 mm offset, but...
I have winter wheels/snow tires with 45mm offset on the wheels. The torque steer is awful. Even modest acceleration off a corner pulls way too much for my taste.
I would never consider 45mm wheels with summer tires. Just my $.02.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Ive used +45, +38, and +35 with my car and I havent felt any torque steer. But for reference, my background includes owning a 440hp/300tq Integra that had really bad torque steer, so maybe I notice it a lot less. Ive beaten the shit out of this car a lot though, from autocrossing and hpde and I havent noticed anything detrimental to handling.

Also, to elaborate on bad torque steer from my integra. When I went into boost at 4500rpms with the car, I had to fight the steering wheel to keep the car going as straight as possible, because it would pull you right out of your lane if you werent careful.

The CTR is a night and day difference from this, I literally feel nothing. However, if youre driving on an awful road with these wide ass tires, the car can definitely tramline which I think some people mistake for torque steering.

Last edited:

gxl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R PMM
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I never had that kind of previous experience. But this exact reason is why I am starting to seriously consider the FL5 forged wheels. Lighter, correct offset, 19" rims. Also a correct color honda badge so I wouldn't need to mismatch the caps. But does get into the whole aftermarket wheels territory unless you find a good deal on the forums somewhere.

I did meet with a local type r that recently changed to 18" wheels and he just doesn't like the feel of it. I imagine you would be in a similar boat, but best case is to find another type r fam for a test drive.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
I went with a second set of 20" wheels with a 45 offset for AutoX use. Torque steer was noticeable compared to stock set up. It wasn't terrible but it was there when coming out of a tight corner hard. I went back to the OEM 20's.

BlueFalcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last: 19 ABM FK8 - Now: 21 SGP FK8
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
You need more camber, friend, not necessarily a different set of wheels. Although pursuing a tire with a stiffer sidewall may help a bit.

Why anyone would consider paying FL5 wheel prices is wild to me. They're crappy OE wheels that look boring AF and fit like shit. If you don't want to pay full retail, you could still find a mint set of TE/CE Rays in the used parts section here for $2xxx.xx and have a legit forged set that weighs in the 18lb range per wheel. Or buy a set of Titans for cheap and beat them up at the track- that's what I'm using.

18x9.5 +45 is one of the most basic and safest wheel options- well tested by a ton of people and easy to find. There is no noticeable torques steer- one of the guys above mentioned "tramming" with the wide wheel, and I would second the notion that people confuse that with "torque steer" in some cases. Also opens up a ton of tire options for all TW categories. Something else that goes largely unmentioned is that you can easily fit a 275/35/18 on a +45 with stock suspension with very little issue and it is *almost* OE wheel/tire diameter.

Honda Civic 10th gen 45 Offset wheels vs 60 - Screenshot 2023-03-13 125026

Coldpizza

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
I daily on both 19” NSX 245/35 and 18x9.5 +45 Titan 7s on 265/35 (which I use as track wheels but usually too lazy to switch back to the NSXs lol) and don’t notice any significant difference regarding torque steer. If you’re serious about getting a track set, I’d recommend the 18x9.5 +45 without hesitation. More tire options and usually cheaper than their 19” counterparts.

Bob_L

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Civic Type-R
Country flag
As you’ve no doubt seen from the previous posts, torque steer feel is wildly subjective.

I purchased a set of +45 offset Titan7’s when I bought my car, and I notice it’s there when I get on the accelerator hard. It’s nothing like the torque steer from some of my older FWD cars in years past, and it’s easily handled, but it IS present.

I spent all of last summer using up the OEM tires, and I got spoiled by the +60 offset and 30 profile tires. As a result, I bought a set of NSX wheels for summer use (with 245/35-19’s) and have switched my Titan7s to winter use with 255/40-18 tires.

Others mentioned tramlining, which is a very real thing. My Titan7’s with255/40’s will tramline like a sonofabitch on those GA roads under construction where they’ve scored the pavement.

I can’t speak to general track use, though for autocross I use 19” Motegi MR924’s with a +53 offset. They have beefy 275/35 RT660’s mounted, which have very meaty sidewalls. I don’t know how they’d handle higher track speeds though.

-bob

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for input fellas I think I'm going to go with my gut and hold out for some FK5 wheels or maybe get some FK2 wheels for the track or something. I'd roll an 18 with a higher offset but don't think there is a market for them.

Cheers

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
As you’ve no doubt seen from the previous posts, torque steer feel is wildly subjective.

I purchased a set of +45 offset Titan7’s when I bought my car, and I notice it’s there when I get on the accelerator hard. It’s nothing like the torque steer from some of my older FWD cars in years past, and it’s easily handled, but it IS present.

I spent all of last summer using up the OEM tires, and I got spoiled by the +60 offset and 30 profile tires. As a result, I bought a set of NSX wheels for summer use (with 245/35-19’s) and have switched my Titan7s to winter use with 255/40-18 tires.

Others mentioned tramlining, which is a very real thing. My Titan7’s with255/40’s will tramline like a sonofabitch on those GA roads under construction where they’ve scored the pavement.

I can’t speak to general track use, though for autocross I use 19” Motegi MR924’s with a +53 offset. They have beefy 275/35 RT660’s mounted, which have very meaty sidewalls. I don’t know how they’d handle higher track speeds though.

-bob
Curiosity question: Why did you go up in profile (30 to 35) on your track setup?

Bob_L

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Civic Type-R
Country flag
Curiosity question: Why did you go up in profile (30 to 35) on your track setup?
Because they are 275 tires on 8.5" wheels. I'm not sure a 30 profile would have mounted. I was already pushing it with a 35 profile, but I knew somebody else was running the same tire and wheel combo successfully, and it was the only option I had available to me before the start of the season.

-bob

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5BW
Country flag
You can always order some BC Forged wheels in 19x10 ET55 like some of us.

And what tires are you running that "roll over"? Pilot Supersports or some sort of all season

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You can always order some BC Forged wheels in 19x10 ET55 like some of us.

And what tires are you running that "roll over"? Pilot Supersports or some sort of all season
Pilot supersports - will check out the BC forged - thx

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5BW
Country flag
Ah yes well PSS is kind of known for soft sidewalls. I've run them in the past on other cars. PS4S quite a bit better. Bridgestone Potenza Sports even better, really sharp steering and stiff carcass. They run really wide, though, so my 285/30/19s (same overall diameter as OE tires 25.8") will occasionally rub even with a little camber. Not often but annoying when it does happen.
Sponsored