$4,530 for 0.5 liter?

MaineDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Manual, 2012 CR-V
Country flag
Anybody see the Build & Price page for the 2018 Accord Sport; with your choice of the 1.5 liter Turbo or the Type R-based 2.0 Turbo?

https://automobiles.honda.com/accord-sedan?#build-price

The premium charged for that extra 0.5 liter is $4,530. No wonder they left the 1.5 in the Si!

= = = =

Glad I bought what I did when I did.

I've had my EX-T Manual since early February, and it's fantastic. Great peppy car with incredible mileage!
Sponsored

heyheyfu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic hatchback sport 2017 6-MT
Country flag
If they had that option for my hatchback i would had took it.

fiatlux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 Sequoia, '10 M6, '13 STi, '16 TLX
Country flag
Anybody see the Build & Price page for the 2018 Accord Sport; with your choice of the 1.5 liter Turbo or the Type R-based 2.0 Turbo?

https://automobiles.honda.com/accord-sedan?#build-price

The premium charged for that extra 0.5 liter is $4,530. No wonder they left the 1.5 in the Si!

= = = =

Glad I bought what I did when I did.

I've had my EX-T Manual since early February, and it's fantastic. Great peppy car with incredible mileage!
You're assuming that the only difference is the engine. Secondly, you're assuming that Honda uses "cost plus" pricing, which I can assuredly tell you that's not what they use. It's what they believe customers are willing to pay.

For some context, do you know how much it costs Toyota to build a whole Camry? Materials, labor, and the amortized cost of the tooling as of around 2008 was just under $5000. I imagine the Accord is close (probably a little higher because can replicate Toyota's operational efficiency). No way the 2.0T engine cost anything closer to $4500 more.

OP
OP
MaineDriver

MaineDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You're assuming that the only difference is the engine. Secondly, you're assuming that Honda uses "cost plus" pricing, which I can assuredly tell you that's not what they use. It's what they believe customers are willing to pay.

For some context, do you know how much it costs Toyota to build a whole Camry? Materials, labor, and the amortized cost of the tooling as of around 2008 was just under $5000. I imagine the Accord is close (probably a little higher because can replicate Toyota's operational efficiency). No way the 2.0T engine cost anything closer to $4500 more.

So What?

Honda's production costs for the 2.0 Turbo are immaterial to the buying public; and I said nothing about that. What Toyota's costs for a Camry were ten years ago mean absolutely nothing here. Nothing.

Did you look at the BUILD-PRICE page, and check out the specs? The differences in the Accord Sport 1.5 and 2.0 are minimal; yet the D-D-D-Dollar difference between the two represent a 17.6% premium for that extra .05 liter of displacement. Add a $4,530 premium to a $25,780 car... and you better be able to show something for it! I'm sure it's quicker; but worth that much? I bet the take rate on the 2.0 Accord is well below 10%, especially with the unimpresssive mpg figures when compared with the outgoing V6

As for the Civic; Honda could hardly charge a lower premium for the 2.0 than they jam onto the Accord buyers.

fiatlux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So What?

Honda's production costs for the 2.0 Turbo are immaterial to the buying public; and I said nothing about that. What Toyota's costs for a Camry were ten years ago mean absolutely nothing here. Nothing.

Did you look at the BUILD-PRICE page, and check out the specs? The differences in the Accord Sport 1.5 and 2.0 are minimal; yet the D-D-D-Dollar difference between the two represent a 17.6% premium for that extra .05 liter of displacement. Add a $4,530 premium to a $25,780 car... and you better be able to show something for it! I'm sure it's quicker; but worth that much? I bet the take rate on the 2.0 Accord is well below 10%, especially with the unimpresssive mpg figures when compared with the outgoing V6

As for the Civic; Honda could hardly charge a lower premium for the 2.0 than they jam onto the Accord buyers.
You insinuated that they left the 2.0T out of the Si because it would make the car cost $4500 more. My point is it doesn't necessarily need to cost that much because that's anywhere close to the actual cost to Honda to put that motor into the car. The reason I referenced the cost to build a Camry (and similarly an Accord) is to demonstrate that it's incredibly cheap to build a car, and that the $4500 number is ridiculous when compared to the cost of the entire car.

OP
OP
MaineDriver

MaineDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You insinuated that they left the 2.0T out of the Si because it would make the car cost $4500 more. My point is it doesn't necessarily need to cost that much because that's anywhere close to the actual cost to Honda to put that motor into the car. The reason I referenced the cost to build a Camry (and similarly an Accord) is to demonstrate that it's incredibly cheap to build a car, and that the $4500 number is ridiculous when compared to the cost of the entire car.
Getting Closer...

Honda could hardly charge $4,530 for the 2.0 in the Accord without a similar hit to Civic Si buyers for a similar upgrade... which would have pushed the price point of the Si well beyond what Honda could sell in any volume (compared to cross-shopped other brands and their own Accord).

Which brings back my original point:

Shazaaaam! Did you see what Honda's charging to upgrade an Accord Sport from the 1.5T to the 2.0T?

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
OP you are just trying to make yourself feel better about having a weak 1.5 engine.

The 2.0T, as I understand it, adds:
HUD
Power Seats
Sunroof
a REAL transmission, not a rubber band droner
and I am sure I am leaving stuff out.

Oh, and it'll do 102mph at the end of a 1/4 mile, it is not merely a little bit faster, it is way faster than an Accord Sport 1.5T, YOUR 1.5T Civic, the Civic Si even and a few hot hatches also.

It would be absolutely worth it to me if I was into the Accord.

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
wished i could buy the type R motor and drop it in my car

fiatlux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You obviously didn't look at the options between the two models OTHER than the engine.

Sport 2.0T adds...

Heated Seats
Sunroof
Remote Start
Blind Spot Monitor
XM Radio
12w Power Driver's Seat
Apparently all that is stuff is "minimal".

It's amazing the mental gymnastics that people will go through just to rationalize or justify their purchasing decisions.

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
I understand OP's point, I just wish you could get the engine as an option without having to add all the fluff, at a lower price point. Granted after experiencing a HUD in a new Corvette, I'd pay for all the other fluff I don't want just to have it lol. Love that thing!!

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The amount of differences between the Sport 1.5 and 2.0 is probably worth well more than the $4500 the OP is talking about. The 10sp automatic over the CVT is a HUUUUUUGGGGGGE difference. If I get an accord, Im only buying the 2.0T.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I understand OP's point, I just wish you could get the engine as an option without having to add all the fluff, at a lower price point. Granted after experiencing a HUD in a new Corvette, I'd pay for all the other fluff I don't want just to have it lol. Love that thing!!
The thing is, if the only difference is the engine and all else is the same, then you cannibalize the 1.5t sales because who wouldnt want a 2.0T for the same price as a 1.5T. You have to differentiate it enough to make people think its worth the cost difference. Look at all the complainers that the SI wasn't different enough from the ex-t, even though it really is.

OP
OP
MaineDriver

MaineDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You obviously didn't look at the options between the two models OTHER than the engine.

Sport 2.0T adds...

Heated Seats
Sunroof
Remote Start
Blind Spot Monitor
XM Radio
12w Power Driver's Seat
No No No!

You're wrong.

Look at the Honda site.
Accord Sport Model.
1.5 Manual vs 2.0 Manual.
No 10-speed auto or goofy CVT.
No power seats, Remote Start, etc. that this guy claims.

READ and compare, if you can.

$4,530 for a different engine and minor gearing changes in the 6-speed manual.

That's It!

Why is this so difficult for some people to comprehend?

My point of comparison is that Honda could hardly charge the $4,530 for the 1.5-to-2.0 upgrade in the Accord without a similar $ boost if they offered the same choice in the Si... which would make a 2.0 Si uncompetitive.

And that's what they decided - right?

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No No No!

You're wrong.

Look at the Honda site.
Accord Sport Model.
1.5 Manual vs 2.0 Manual.
No 10-speed auto or goofy CVT.
No power seats, Remote Start, etc. that this guy claims.

READ and compare, if you can.

$4,530 for a different engine and minor gearing changes in the 6-speed manual.

That's It!

Why is this so difficult for some people to comprehend?

My point of comparison is that Honda could hardly charge the $4,530 for the 1.5-to-2.0 upgrade in the Accord without a similar $ boost if they offered the same choice in the Si... which would make a 2.0 Si uncompetitive.

And that's what they decided - right?
no, they didnt want to eat into Type R sales with a 2.0T SI.

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
There is absolutely no point for this thread. Every car manufacturers set different prices for different engine options, so the more powerful engine always costs more. What's new - the sky is blue? ;)

Did OP also compare a '17 Civic EX-T Manual with '18 Accord (Sport) 1.5T Manual? Do I even have to say it?
Sponsored