squelchy451

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 VW GTI (RIP)
Country flag
Who here has extensive experience with Si equipped with the old 4.1 and the new 4.4 final drive ratio?
I might get a Civic Si in several months, and the depreciation is so small that it makes more sense to just cough up a little more for a new one, but the only gripe I have about the 2020+ models is the 4.4 final drive ratio.

The 4.1 final drive ratio would have been perfect for me--it puts 80 mph just under 3,000 RPM and the ratios are right between my 2007 GTI and the 2017 Mazda 3, but the 4.4 makes it even taller than my 2007 GTI. Granted, I only got sick of the gear ratios on my mk5 GTI due to having stiffer mounts and single mass flywheel, neither of which I plan on adding for the Civic Si...

For those of you who had both cars, do you find youself preferring one final drive ratio over the other?

Thanks,
Tim
Sponsored

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Who here has extensive experience with Si equipped with the old 4.1 and the new 4.4 final drive ratio?
I might get a Civic Si in several months, and the depreciation is so small that it makes more sense to just cough up a little more for a new one, but the only gripe I have about the 2020+ models is the 4.4 final drive ratio.

The 4.1 final drive ratio would have been perfect for me--it puts 80 mph just under 3,000 RPM and the ratios are right between my 2007 GTI and the 2017 Mazda 3, but the 4.4 makes it even taller than my 2007 GTI. Granted, I only got sick of the gear ratios on my mk5 GTI due to having stiffer mounts and single mass flywheel, neither of which I plan on adding for the Civic Si...

For those of you who had both cars, do you find youself preferring one final drive ratio over the other?

Thanks,
Tim
Just a correction of the terminology: between the 4.1 and 4.4 final drive ratios, the 4.1 is the tall(er) gearing (higher speed) and 4.4 is called short(er) gearing (lower speed).

WF19

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan Aegean Blue Metallic; 2003 Pontiac Vibe (just sold)
Country flag
While not directly answering your question (and of course I'm somewhat biased) don't forget that the 2020 Si has LED headlights and foglights, as well as the Honda Sensing Suite.

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
I don't have have experience with both.
But in theory, the shorter overall gear ratio of the 2020 should make the clutches life easier by transmitting torque to less load.

zenren

First Name
Brenden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I had an 18 Si before I got my Type R. Why on earth would they shorten the final drive? 1st gear was already too short and redline came way too fast with the 4.1s. I assume the difference is fairly negligible, but the 1.5 does not rev high enough for such a high ratio. I had an 06 RSX at one point, that had 4.76s, highway rpm was always between 3-4k, but its not bad, felt normal, sounded like a beehive.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
What are you ultimately looking for? Acceleration? Go with the 2020. Fuel economy? go with the earlier models.

Plans on tuning? I'd buy the newest Si I could....

KingOfBrussels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Si sedan
Country flag
I don't have much experience with the 4.1, but I don't mind the 4.4 in my 2020. Most of the highways near me are 55 mph limit so cruising around 60-65 mph the revs don't feel overly high to me where I think "ugh this is a buzzy annoying highway car." If you cruise more like 75-80 mph maybe it'd be more annoying. I feel like in general the Si is just quiet and refined enough for a performance version of a relatively light weight economy car where it doesn't feel like a penalty box.

20ABM06MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
I also cannot compare the two, as I have only driven a 2020.... But I have no complaints on the drive ratio. Honestly, it feels like it fits the character of the car.. I love the midrange torque... highway RPMs are reasonable... Regarding MPGs.... I get 6-7 MPG better than I did in my MkVII GTI.... I would go 2020 for the LEDs, Honda Sensing, body color inserts on the 'vents' etc...

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've had both, used to have an 18 Si now I have a 20 Si. I enjoyed both ratios, whether or not you will like it will depend on your daily driving situations.

If you have mostly highway miles then I think you'll prefer the shorter ratio because you are able to do passes in 6th without having to downshift every single time like the 17-19

If you do daily city driving like me you'll probably find yourself rowing gears a bit more but I wouldn't say it's substantial over previous years

The amount of upgrades on the 2020 and being that it's the final production year for 10th gen Si was more than enough to convince me, LED lights, honda sensing, slightly cheaper insurance, better styling (subjective), redesigned vents and also slightly updated interior

OP
OP

squelchy451

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 VW GTI (RIP)
Country flag
I've had both, used to have an 18 Si now I have a 20 Si. I enjoyed both ratios, whether or not you will like it will depend on your daily driving situations.

If you have mostly highway miles then I think you'll prefer the shorter ratio because you are able to do passes in 6th without having to downshift every single time like the 17-19

If you do daily city driving like me you'll probably find yourself rowing gears a bit more but I wouldn't say it's substantial over previous years

The amount of upgrades on the 2020 and being that it's the final production year for 10th gen Si was more than enough to convince me, LED lights, honda sensing, slightly cheaper insurance, better styling (subjective), redesigned vents and also slightly updated interior
I used to drive a Mazda 3, so downshifting to pass isn't much of a hassle for me. Even with the 4.1 drive ratio, I think the RPM

I guess the 4.4 does allow for easier passing power, though I don't recall that being an issue when I had the 2017 Si for a few days. I also used to drive a 2.0L Mazda 3 (no turbo) and never thought of it as a chore to downshift to 4th to make it scoot.

I think I just prefer the 4.1 because you can always downshift to a lower gear, but I can see myself wishing for a 7th gear when I'm sitting at 75 MPH at 3,000 RPM.

8200rpm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan (RR)
Country flag
Pretty much the same thoughts I had about a new 20 vs slightly used 19...

The gearing is pretty negligible, because I ride a street bike with a 1st gear that redlines at 55+ mph and 2nd gear that goes to 75+ mph. I know it’s apples to oranges, but it’s my perspective. Debating gearing on a civic seems like splitting hairs.

I think the 2020 Si cruises fine at 80mph in 6th. I still downshift to 4th or 5th to pass on highways.

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I used to drive a Mazda 3, so downshifting to pass isn't much of a hassle for me. Even with the 4.1 drive ratio, I think the RPM

I guess the 4.4 does allow for easier passing power, though I don't recall that being an issue when I had the 2017 Si for a few days. I also used to drive a 2.0L Mazda 3 (no turbo) and never thought of it as a chore to downshift to 4th to make it scoot.

I think I just prefer the 4.1 because you can always downshift to a lower gear, but I can see myself wishing for a 7th gear when I'm sitting at 75 MPH at 3,000 RPM.
Yeah, 4.1 can pass in 6th as well but the the shorter ratio just makes it a bit easier. Honestly I never thought too in depth about the updated ratios after the first week of owning the car. Unless you are constantly at the strip or doing runs in texas, the shorter ratio will suit you just fine along with all the other upgrades that come with the 2020

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Pretty much the same thoughts I had about a new 20 vs slightly used 19...

The gearing is pretty negligible, because I ride a street bike with a 1st gear that redlines at 55+ mph and 2nd gear that goes to 75+ mph. I know it’s apples to oranges, but it’s my perspective. Debating gearing on a civic seems like splitting hairs.

I think the 2020 Si cruises fine at 80mph in 6th. I still downshift to 4th or 5th to pass on highways.
Yeah agreed, I still downshift as well to preserve the clutch as much as I can. The difference in gearing is something you might notice for the first week but after that it doesn't really seem that noticable

Conor

First Name
Conor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The difference in RPMs is 6%. So if the 4.1 had you at (approx) 3000 rpms at 80mph, the 4.4 will have you at (approx) 3180 rpms at 80mph. Does the extra 180 rpms really mean that much? In my opinion, no. The difference is pretty small.

Eryan36

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Si sedan
Country flag
Haven't driven the 2020, but I feel like first gear in my 2019 is plenty short as-is. I Also have no issues passing in 6th gear.
Sponsored