3rd Brake Light Replacement

SoonerinFL

BOOMER!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T and 2016 Acura TLX Base
Taking the rear deck is fairly easy.
1. There is a 10mm bolt on the rear driver side seat just right to the seat belt buckle (if you are facing the rear seat)
2. There are two pressure clips in the middle of each passenger and driver rear seat where the seat meets the floor board. Just pinch them together and lift up to remove the entire lower rear seat.
3. Partially remove the rain guard around the rear doors from the top corner of the C-pillar down to the bottom of the door
4. Remove the plastic door guards, which will expose the 12mm bolt (I think) on the floor that holding down the first of 3 parts of the C-pillar
5. Remove the bottom plastic C-pillar and work your way up to the second one and remove it
6. The last piece of the C-pillar (where the triangular window is located) is the most difficult to remove. Be gentle and wiggle it out.
7. Once all 3 pieces of the C-pillar are removed, go to your trunk and push in about 8 to 10 green anchors and about 6 to 8 black clips. This would loosen the rear deck.
8. Disconnect the connectors to the speakers (2 tweeters, 2 speakers, and possible 1 sub)
9. Disconnect the 3rd brake light (very similar to disconnecting the speakers)
9. Go back to the interior of your car and start lifting the rear deck. They should held by the green Honda anchors.
10. Replace whatever you were planning and put back in reverse order

You may ask how do I know this? I replaced my speakers in the doors and rear deck and put everything back without any extra parts lying around:headbang::yes::nixon:
Sponsored

Last edited:

MarkP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Taking the rear deck is fairly easy.
1. There is a 10mm bolt on the rear driver side seat just right to the seat belt buckle (if you are facing the rear seat)
2. There are two pressure clips in the middle of each passenger and driver rear seat where the seat meets the floor board. Just pinch them together and lift up to remove the entire lower rear seat.
3. Partially remove the rain guard around the rear doors from the top corner of the C-pillar down to the bottom of the door
4. Remove the plastic door guards, which will expose the 12mm bolt (I think) on the floor that holding downing the first of 3 parts of the C-pillar
5. Remove the bottom plastic C-pillar and work your way up to the second one and remove it
6. The last piece of the C-pillar (where the triangular window is located) is the most difficult to remove. Be gentle and wiggle it out.
7. Once all 3 pieces of the C-pillar are removed, go to your trunk and push in about 8 to 10 green anchors and about 6 to 8 black clips. This would loosen the rear deck.
8. Disconnect the connectors to the speakers (2 tweeters, 2 speakers, and possible 1 sub)
9. Disconnect the 3rd brake light (very similar to disconnecting the speakers)
9. Go back to the interior of your car and start lifting the rear deck. They should held by the green Honda anchors.
10. Replace whatever you were planning and put back in reverse order

You may ask how do I know this? I replaced my speakers in the doors and rear deck and put everything back without any extra parts lying around:headbang::yes::nixon:
I totally agree in #6. For me it is also difficult to put back. Did you put back yours without any gap?

SoonerinFL

BOOMER!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T and 2016 Acura TLX Base
I totally agree in #6. For me it is also difficult to put back. Did you put back yours without any gap?
No gap. I think there were two green Honda anchors on that piece. Did you put them back or maybe that got stretched when pulled? Mine was kinda stretched and I just squeezed it back.

Aebm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
No gap. I think there were two green Honda anchors on that piece. Did you put them back or maybe that got stretched when pulled? Mine was kinda stretched and I just squeezed it back.
Hello group, and sorry for bring this one back to live but I was thinking, wouldn't it be easier swap the incandescent bulb and install a really red led there? Just to see how it goes.
Thanks.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Hello group, and sorry for bring this one back to live but I was thinking, wouldn't it be easier swap the incandescent bulb and install a really red led there? Just to see how it goes.
Thanks.
It wouldn't illuminate as well as the OEM LED bar due to the reflector.

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
Thanks.
Been there, done that - even a really red LED bulb is not as bright as the OEM LED assembly unfortunately.
Sponsored